HELP! Computer doesn't recognize my JVC Camcorder anymore

Username: Adoptivma

Post Number: 2
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a JVC GR-D250 U. I have in the past, successfully transferred video from that camera to my computer using the Turtle Beach Video Advantage (which has the DV Firewire Texas Instruments OHCI compliant connect built in). I have had SP2 installed for years, so I don't think that's the problem. I also have Nero installed, but that's been installed since the beginning and hadn't had any probs before. 2 Days ago I transferred video from my JVC to my computer. Now, all of a sudden, my computer will not recognize my JVC video camcorder. It's not in "My Computer", and I tried capturing with Windows Movie maker, Cyberlink Power Director-full version, and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 (all of which used to work with this camera, and now none of them recognize it). I also checked the System Hardware properties to see if I could see anything wrong with the Firewire port in my computer, and it says "working properly" .

I tried the fixes Eric C. Brown suggested, downloading the Microsoft patch and regedit to first change the SidSpeed to 3, restarting, when that didn't work I tried setting SidSpeed to 1, restarting with the camera playing, but that didn't work either. Though I really had my doubts because I wasn't having trouble getting it to work at first, the camcorder had stopped communicating with my computer for whatever reason. I have 2 hard drives in my computer, both running Windows XP SP2 and have the drivers installed for Turtle Beach Video Advantage DV port. Both hard drives & operating systems when booted up, used to recognize the camera, and now they don't - neither one.

I also have 2 firewire cables to connect the camera to my computer, so I tried switching the cables out, and still no recognition on either hard drive, so it's not a cable problem. Do you think the problem could be the camcorder? Has anyone ever known a digital camcorder's firewire port go bad? Or possibly the Video Advantage's firewire port in my computer (even though Windows XP system properties says it is working)? I can't think of what else it could be, but I'm hoping to hear from someone before I go to the trouble and expense of sending my camcorder in for repair. Is there anything else I can try? PLEASE HELP!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us