Nikon D70s Problems

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 08, 2006Berny100

Username: Traveller130

Post Number: 1
Hi guys, I am new to this, so please be nice. I have a D70s and just bought a 80-200mm f/2.8 ED lens. I first tried to fit the ED lens on the camera without locking the aperture to f22. As a result, I had an error on the camera. Realising this, I took off the lens, locked it to f22 and re-mounted the lens. Then, the camera went dead, unable to swith it on. I tested the battery and CF card, all were fine. Also tried the 18-70mm kit lens, still no power (top LCD panel did not show any signs of life). I tried the ED lens on a D50 and it worked fine. Eliminating all possibilities, the only problem I can deduct is either a faulty on/off switch or a mulfunciton/short circuit in the D70s body. Now my questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
2. Has anyone heard of a CPU lens short circuiting a digital SLR body (no one else have)
3. Where might I get it fixed (I bought the camera second hand, so no wanrranty) I live in Melbuorne, Australia, I've been told to go to the Camera Clinic, can anyone suggest some where else?
Thanks in advance
Bo

Username: Nairobian

I am a pro photojournalist based in nairobi. I was out shooting slum conditions with my d70. I changed from 50mm 1.4 lens to the wider 18-55mm (all my lenses are switched to the smallest apecture and taped to stop dust) then the camera froze. all the buttons failed to respond. I removed the battery (hence switching the d70 off) thats the last time I saw my dear camera on. its just dead. I have tried everything to get it to power up nothing, change battery, change cf cards, mount various lenses, try the lenses on other cameras, nothing.... am going nuts. the nearest nikon service is south africa.... I might as well budget for a new camera... I have had this camera since 2004 without any problems. Its handled with velvet gloves, never dropped. you cannot buy it in kenya.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11469
That is unfortunate. However, you can try getting your camera fixed for free. Check out Nikon's website about some malfunctioning units.

Post Number: 2
Berny

thanks for your kind words. I am gonna wait for few days before attempting to ship. just sending it off to the states if prolly cost enough to buy a used one. cheers mate.

George

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11476
Good luck George. I did not realize that you purchased the equipment in the US.

You may also want to check on nikonians.org. They may be able to point you in the right direction. The site is dedicated to Nikon users across the globe and the membership is worldwide.

Post Number: 3
Berny

Miracles will never cease. Some enterprising kenyan downtown nairobi has got the camera working again. I am in the clouds but I could not get him to explain as his swahili is not up to scratch leave alone his english, but it works!
since its quite an old d70 should I update its firmware and where do I find it?. excuse my mistakes I spend too much time looking through the view finder and not enough on the net. look at some of the reportage i did in somalia recently (wirpictures.org/baidoa)

george

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11487
That is good news:-)
Yes, I would highly recommend a firmware update. The updates can be downloaded from Nikon's website. Be very careful in folowing the instructions to the letter.

Have you gone to the nikonians.org website?
http://www.nikonians.org/

Post Number: 4
berny

I have not gone to the nikonians yet. I will try to upgrade in the course of the weekend. finally, the tech said one diode (?) on my d70 power mother board had gone kaput prolly in the process of changing lenses, I accepted that but am not convinced because I change the lense on my camera all the time. is this common?. also on my lcd there is a musical note that is always there and I have no idea what it is for or how it got there, any ideas?
george

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11497
I cannot verify if that problem is common occurrence.

The musical note is a sign that you have the confirmation "beeps" turned on. Notice that there is a beep after the focus locks.

Username: Veecee

Hello, good people:
I have a Nikon D70 that has had its problems, been back to the
factory for a service advisory fix on its failure to recognize that
there was a memory card inside ("The flashing green light of death," was the way a local repair guy put it). Just tried to take
some photos and kept getting a 'FOR' message on the control panel, which is supposed to indicate that the memory card is not formatted for the D70.
This was surprising, since I've been using this card, a LEXAR 512, for quite some time.
Ok, I gave up on the photo opp, removed the card, downloaded the 11 photos on it, placed the card back in the camera, and now it works fine.
This is a teeth-grinder for me: if I were out in the field, I couldn't download those images, would probably just have to scrub them.
Overall, too, I'm developing a lack of faith in this camera, there have just been too many problems in too short a time for such an expensive piece of equipment.
Can anyone advise on what might have caused that FOR misread, could this be more "acting up" associated with a bad card-readers, are there a lot of glitches in the use of D70s, and is the D70 a generally reliable camera??
I don't like to keep sending it to the factory, then I'm without a camera for two weeks or more. I know these are complex pieces of machinery, but it makes me long for my non-digital SLR sometimes, it NEVER had a problem!
Thanks for any help,
Val

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11783
I've had a few issues with some memory cards that have been used for what seems like forever and I sometimes run into that problem. At first I thought it was the camera. I sent the cards that historically give me problems back to the manufacturer and they have replaced them for me. They explained that sometimes there are sectors that go bad and they need to be replaced (whatever that means). I have plenty of cards and there are ones that cause problems. They have since been replaced and haven't had a glitch.

Username: Veecee

Thanks, Berny. I'll try another card.
Val C.

Username: Warren628

Hi, I owned my D70s for almost 1.5 years and I have taken more than 2,500+ shots with no problem until today when I tried to change the lens during my daughter's Christmas program, the camera sudden got frozen, so I take the battery out and put it back in and my D70s became no response since then. I tried to do the factory reset by pressing the small reset button at the bottom of the body but nothing happen, am I doing the reset correctly?

I read the whole thread and someone suggested to go to the Nikon website and check on the service advisory but I cannot find anything. Please help.

Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11806
What do you see on the top LCD?

Is the green light by the memory card slot flashing?

What lens are you using?

More info please.

Berny,

Thanks for your quick response. I was using a 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor which is brand new, first use today and working for the whole day until I tried to change back to my old old SIGMA 24-70mm which I have been using it with my D70s for the past year. There is nothing left on the LCD, not even the counter. Just like there is no battery in it.

Thanks

Berny,

Not even this is green light next to the memory slot.

Thanks
Warren

Post Number: 5
I had similar problem while shooting slum conditions in downtown nairobi four weeks ago. the camera went DEAD during lens change. An electronics repair shop in nairobi repaired it. they said it was a blown diode/fuse .. (not sure) in the power motherboard. It coasted me about $80 and its super since.

Post Number: 6
am actually so impressed with the nikon d70 that I would not mind buying a second body from someone out there who wants to sell. I will pay for the shipping to nairobi.

George,

Thanks a lot for the information and hopefully mine is the similar problem and would not cost me too much to fix it in California.

Thanks

Username: Myzaza

Hi Berny,

I realize this is a forum for the D70 but do you have any knowledge of the D80? if so would any issues of that crossover from the D70?

Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12136
No it did not have any issues from the D70. It is a great camera and much imnproved over the D70.

I ask only because I have recently bought the D80, along with the 18-200mm VR lens and was much enjoying it. Until today..
I turned it on and it displayed the 'no memory card' and 'error' symbols in the viewfinder, ( I have the Lexar 2GB SD card in there). After a couple of seconds it shut down and just left the top display on but the viewfinder and rear display were dead.
If I turn it on it will take a couple of shots, though the focus is having trouble locking on but if it lays dormant for more than a 4 or 5 seconds it hibernates again.

Thanks

I just tried an experiment of sorts,..
I removed the SD card and the camera remains on indefinitely, albeit with genuine 'no memory card' signs. I put it back in, get the flashing red 'no card' sign and the thing hibernates after a few seconds. Has anyone had these issues?? If it were a bad SD card could this affect the focus?

Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12138
Read your manual regarding removal of memory cards. Do not remove the card with power turned on. Do not experiment.
Follow the warnings and things that they tell you not to do and you will have no problems.

It was more of a deduction than an experiment, with the card in and out. Both times I turned the camera off before removing or inserting it. It was after I turned it back on with the card removed that the camera acted 'normally' and remained on.
Since I had done nothing differently up to the point that it would not (intermittently) read my card, do you think a basic swap of SD card might do it?

Thanks for any help

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12139
I have not yet experienced a bad memory card affecting the focus. The camera WILL focus even without a memory card.

Re-format the card and try again.

Thanks Berny

Username: Ironstream

I'm sort of new to photography, but I consider myself at least a buff and somewhat of a tinkerer. My question is, has anyone ever acctually taken apart their d70/ has anyone ever sucessfully dealt with fixing a sticky mode dial. The mode dial still works and the camera is fine, I recently used the camera for an extended trip and it sat possibly damp in its camera bag overnight, the modes all the still function properly, its just the dial is annoying to use now, not a pressing issue, just throwing it out there.

P.S. while on my trip some friends used the camera and the reaction was either that they thought the camera was film (image review was off), or they asked how to turn on the screen to see the picture they were about to take, so eveyone who has asked that is certainly not alone.

Username: Syvalley

Charlie, I had the same problem with my mode dial sticking. It may have started about 1/2 year ago after laving the camera in my hot car a bunch of times. The sticking just got worse and worse until it wouldn't budge. Cost me $250 to get it fixed.

Username: Ironstream

I never thought about the heat, my camera did sit next to a heater in its bag for at least 10 hours on a bus (i was not aware it was next to a heater) and thats when the problem started. I did manage to pry the dial up a little bit to clean around the edge with a q-tip, which provided temporary relief, but the next day it was bad again. Maybe I will take it to a shop to have it looked at, but I'm afraid of paying for repairs, esspecially since mine still turns, for now.

Username: Florijan

Slovenija

Upanshu said:

"Hi,

For last few months I am experiencing problem in my D70, it's shooting mode dial is so stiff that I can not rotate it easily, last week I took some 100 pictures, and now I am not even able to move the dial.

Does anybody sees this problem, if so, what was the solution? Do I need to send it to Nikon for repair?

Thanks,
-Upanshu "

Who knows what happened with his camera ? Did he repair it himself?

I have the same problem now.

Florijan

Username: Cmsmiami

Post Number: 8
yes I have had the same problem with d70s
I took it to a nikon authorized service center and it was "cleaned although the problem was not evident when I brought it in, but the "cleaning" seems to have taken care of this problem

Username: Cmsmiami

Post Number: 9
ps I thought the exposure to northern usa Pittsburgh cold was the problem that 'froze' the mode dial because when I returned home to miami the dial worked beautifully.

Slovenija

Yes. When the weather is cold shooting mode dial start to not rotate it easily, too.
I have to send the D70 to a nikon authorized service center. Thanks.
(Sorry, I don't speak English well.)

Username: Jasonblackburn

New Albany, Mississippi

I have read almost every post to see if anyone
has had the problem that I'm having. I have
had my D70s for about a year. Shot thousands of
pics, then all of sudden when I take a picture
my shutter sticks open and nothing happens. I
have to push the button one more time get the
shutter to close. While the shutter is stuck
open an "Err" flashes on the top lcd. After
I push the button to close the shutter, the
"Err" goes off. After all this, the picture
does not get stored on the CF card. The card
has been formatted. Also, after the battery
and CF card have been removed, the camera has
a tendency to get stuck on. The power switch
will not turn of the camera. I have to remove
the battery in order to get the camera to reset.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason Blackburn

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13016
Send it in for service.

Username: Microforce

Need some advice
I have a D70 with update version 2, 256 MB lexar.
The CF card work ok.

When I switch on the D70, the "green light" blink to long, some times almost 1 min before the camera is ready. I tried to resert. But it would not help at all.

Also when I switch off the D70, it take some times before it switch off.

Need advice, please,

Thx

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13026
Contact Nikon...that is a warranty repair. Even if the camera is past the written warranty.

Username: Fev

Hi
I have a problem with my D70 where there is a CHA message in the panel on the top plate that flashes (indicating that the card cannot be read). I have tried 6 cards that all work in other cameras (Sandisk etc) and it is the same with them all. I have gone through the process to format the card (both through the menu, and the 2 button method), and the message remains.

It is not an intermittant problem, it is all the time, and has rendered the camera unusable. I have tried the reset button, the menu reset, taking the battery out overnight, using a freshly charged battery, switching off and on, and all to no avail.

I have read that other people have experienced this problem with the D70, but Nikon UK say that it is not a common problem and want to charge me £184 for a repair - they suggested that it is a data compression board problem.

Another repairer suggested it was the card reader - bent or broken pins etc - but I can't see any problem with the pins on inspection.

Any suggestions? Do I have to send it to Nikon, and has anyone been successful in obtaining a free repair for such a fault? It's not exhibiting the 'flashing light of death' problem, which Nikon said would be fixed free of charge if it turned out to be the same component, but they didn't think so.

Help, please someone !!!!!!!!!!

Username: Cathyshah

My Flash has ceased to work all of a sudden all settings are fine does anyone know how to fix this please? }

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13332
Send it in for service...there are no known user serviceable part for the flash if you say that everything else is fine.

Username: Urskoala

hi,

i have a Nikon D70s for almost 9 months.
since 2 weeks the problem is this: I press the shutter release, the mirror get blocked, the camera doesn's want to do anything more, ERR appear in the upper left corner of my display (not on the LCD).
if i switch off and on, somethimes appear ERR again, somethimes nothing at all, blank display.
take out the battery, the card also, and nothing for a few times, after that it works.

camera: nikon d70s
card: CF2 sandisk ultra II, 1 gb
lens: nikon af 50 mm, 1:1.8 D

could you help with piece of advice?

thanks, carmen

Slovenija

I had the same problem few month ago. It never happened again. I don't know what the reason was.

Florijan

Username: Upanshu

Hi Carmen,

This may be due to the lens focus problem. If focus goes to infinity then you see the ERR in display and you can not take picture.

It happened same with me with Nikon 50 mm lens as well as Sigma 28-80 mm.

You can find this documented in manual also.

I hope this will help.

Thanks,
-Upanshu

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13779
ERR messages are usually due to lens contact problems and the lens aperture ring not on the right setting. Clean the contacts and ensure that you are on the right aperture.

Username: Nikonjan

WA

I just checked to see if there was an update to the D70s and it says none. But the D70 upgrades to a 2.0 the D70s stays at a 1.0

Username: Blackdahliapix

Visalia, CA USA

I just purchased a used D70s to replace my D70 that was stolen. When I got it home, loaded the card & memory and turned it on, I could take pictures with it just fine but the fill in flash never fires. I am using the same lenses I used on my previous D70 that worked fine. Am I missing something or is this camera defective?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13947
Seems like it is defective.

Username: Cjshaker

Bend, OR USA

Just had the blinking green LED of death happen to my D70. It was shipped to me from Ritz
Camera on 4/28/2004. Has always worked great for me until I dragged it out today and
tried to take a picture of a deer eating bird seed out of our bird feeders.

Installing a charged battery did not help. I tried the two button soft reset, and the hard
reset button. Nothing helped.

I could get the menu screen to come on for about a half second. Green LED by CF door
flashes, LCD by shutter release never comes on.

Found the Nikon FAQ at Nikon's web site has a service bulletin about the D70 and a couple
of other cameras. They have a downloadable form to use when sending it in for service.
It's titled, "Service Advisory - Nikon D2H, D70, N55, Coolpix 3100, 3500, 4500, 5000, 5400, 5700, SQ".

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

Chris Shaker

Username: Overscan

After reading about all the problems that people have with the D70s, I'm wondering if I should have gone with Canon!

I've enclosed a sample of the problem i'm having. (notice the photo is two sections and out of alignment)

It happens about every 200 shots. Sometimes the picture is in three sections and once in awhile one of the sections will be about a stop overexposed.

Any opinions? A damaged memory card perhaps?
Upload

WA

Post Number: 7
Does it happen with other memory cards or just one? I can't imagine a camera would do that but I am curious what others think it is.

My next step is to try another card. I happened to stumble across this site and after reading about everyone else's problem, thought I would put mine on the table.

Here's another shot. Note the difference in contrast between the segments.

Funny I took over 200 shots today and all were fine.

The card is a Sandisk 1gb extreme 3. Upload

WA

I have been told by a camera shop that they do more photo recoveries from Sandisk brand.So you might want to choose another brand.

Bend, OR USA

That could be because more people use Sandisk brand memory cards, in which case, the data is useless.
Costco carries Sandisk cards, so a lot of people have Sandisk cards.

Sandisk invented some of the interfaces and standards for these memory cards. They've been producing
them for a very long time.

Almost all of my cards are Sandisk cards, and no failures yet. CF and SD cards.

Chris Shaker

I'd have to agree Chris. Sandisk has been around a long time and I too use them. I think i'm going to keep using it and try and figure out if there's some common theme when it happens.

I hope it's not a camera fault!

Bend, OR USA

One question is whether or not it is a genuine Sandisk card. It appears that there are counterfeit cards being sold. I've included some web pages recently referred to on the Nikon D1scussion list.

http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugi dZ10000000001456539
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugid Z10000000001254879

Chris Shaker

Username: Danfloppy

St-Blaise, QC Canada

I got the lock up mirror problem twice and after remove and put back the battery, camera works... But today I have a new problem, I thought it was the mirror again.... No, camera died? Like no power at all No display on my camera, tried reset button, remove and put back the battery, change the battery...nothing to do... Anyone has this problem?

Username: Jrob0311

Geneva, Vaud Switzerland

I have been using a Nikon D70S since Xmas and have had terrible trouble sorting out the exposure. I have been doing photography for a few years and while I am still a novice I do know my way around the exposure controls. Whatever I do, the exposure does not come out correctly. The most frustrating thing is that under almost any conditions and no matter what I expose off the manual metering is a few stops too low compared to what the automatic metering thinks I should be doing. I have used both the factory supplied lense and some older lenses I had with an F801S.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like this or do I just accept that I have a lot more to learn about exposure???

Cheers

J

Julian

Have you inadvertantly changed the plus minus setting? Push the plus minus button located near the shutter release. Normal setting should be 0.0. Change setting by using the thumbwheel while holding down the +/- button.

Username: Beartracks

Great falls, Montana Usa

My wife just received a D70s that was upgraded by Nikon just before she bought it. PROBLEM: The dark slide covering the optical viewfinder cannot be reviewed. I have found total silence in the IB and on line regarding the simple act of removing this slide. ASSUMPTION 1: It should simply slide down and off.ASSUMPTION 2: The "s" upgrade thickened the LCD back just enough to cause the slide to strike the top of the back. CONCLUSION: It looks like I can take a thin shim and slip it between the back and the slide and lift the slide the 1/16" or so needed to get it off. Am I missing something or does this sound logical? All the reference materials I have found overlook this simple act so I assume it is considered within the capacity of anyone. But not I. Thanks Beartracks

Username: Steph24

Norwich, Norfolk Uk

hi iv'e had my D70 for over two years but recently when i download my images it freezes on the 50th image. so i then delete the first 51 images and then the rest download fine (as long as there are no more than 49). I was advised to try re-formatting it but that didnt work. Is it memory card or camera? Any ideas?

Bend, OR USA

Are you attaching the camera to your computer via USB, or are you putting the card into a memory card
reader?

Could be a software problem on your computer?

Chris Shaker

Norwich, Norfolk Uk

i'm using USB, i had the problem with the software provided, picture project. Im now using iphoto (software came with mac) and its still not working. I tried it with a memory card at uni on a different computer but same problem! should i try a different memory card?

Bend, OR USA

I think you said that you pulled your memory card from your camera and inserted into a card reader on another computer? And you still couldn't read more than 50 pictures from the memory card?

Or, are you saying that the camera won't write more than 50 pictures to the card? If that is what you're saying, how big is your memory card? What file format is the camera writing to the card? Raw? Are you just running out of space on the memory card while trying to write a new picture?

Chris Shaker

Norwich, Norfolk Uk

no the camera takes more than 50 but once 50 has been downloaded it freezes so i then have to delete that 50 from my camera and then it will continue to download the rest until it reaches 50 again!

Bend, OR USA

That sure sounds like a problem with the software that is reading the images from your camera. What software are you using to pull the pictures off your camera?

Or, does your camera show up as a disk drive on the Mac desktop? I've never used the USB interface on my D70. I always remove my memory card, and use a USB card reader/writer instead.

You can pick up a flash card reader for maybe $20 at your local computer store. It should look like a disk drive on your Mac desktop. You should be able to just drag or copy your pictures from the memory card 'disk drive' to whatever folder you desire. I use a Sandisk USB memory card reader to do this on my Powermac.

Chris Shaker

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14061
What brand memory card are you using?

Bend, OR USA

Just got my D70 back from Nikon today. They repaired it for *free*, and it appears to be working great again! Thank you Nikon for fixing my camera years after the warranty expired!

Chris Shaker

> Found the Nikon FAQ at Nikon's web site has a service bulletin about the D70 and a couple of other cameras. They have a downloadable form to use when sending it in for service. It's titled, "Service Advisory - Nikon D2H, D70, N55, Coolpix 3100, 3500, 4500, 5000, 5400, 5700, SQ".

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

Username: Newyorkmolly

My husband passed away a few months ago and I wanted to use his D70 to photograph our daughter's elementary school graduation. A light near the memory card (to the right of the trash can button) is flashing green and nothing I can do seems to make it stop. i decided it could be a flaw in the memory card, so I purchased a new one and the problem persists. Anyone have a clue how to remedy this? His manual is missing.

Not to worry Molly, this is normal. It's like the green led for your hard drive on your computer. It flashes when the camera is recording the image you just took to the memory card or when your downloading the photos from your camera.

Username: Artboy213

I have a D70 I've been using for years. Love the camera. Recently though I've been having power problems. I take a shot and the camera turns off. I have to repeatedly press the shutter to get it to go back on, or turn the camera off and back on. Any suggestions?

Username: Palaidniex

I have some problems with switch release button on D70s. It sometimes do not respond at all, sometimes starts auto-focus and stops responding, sometimes completes auto-focus, but do not work to make shot.
What can be wrong? Any other buttons work perfect.
Any comments?
Or this is a case to bring it to repair workshop?

Slovenija

Sorry. Yes it is !

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 43
I've had my Nikon D70 since March 2005 and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. Am I just lucky,or did I just jinx my camera? LOL.

Anybody else able to report some good findings?

Slovenija

I have my D70 and D70s since first month of Nikon produce.

I made 27.000 and 10.000 photos.

Once I put my finger into camera and destroied one piece of it.

Tehn problems ? NO ONE.

Foto quality isnt so good as on D300 or D3 but ... D70 are good.

Florijan

Slovenija

Tehn problems ? NO ONE

If I don't count a problem:

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 06:12 am:

I had the same problem few month ago. It never happened again. I don't know what the reason was.

Florijan

I don't count it. Never happened again.

Username: Fmikeslaughter

Richardson, Texas USA

The other night my D70 died. When I turned it on the top panel showed information, full battery, etc., but would not shoot a photo. After I turned it off, it would not turn on again. I removed the battery, put it back it in, but still no response - no indication that it had any power. I tried my other battery with the same results. I charged both batteries and tried them both with no response. I put my batteries in my son's D70s and they worked. I tried his batteries in my camera with no response. I also removed the CF card and put it back in, but had no response. My green light doesen't even blink. Nothing, nada. I even tried the reset button, but still nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14208
Try a hard reset. If it does not work, time to get it to a repair shop.

Username: Fmikeslaughter

Texas USA

Berny,

What is a hard reset, and how do you do that?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14233
There is a pinhole at the bottom of the camera. It will restore everything to factory settings. If that does not work, bring it in for service.

Username: Ancsp

Cincinnati, OH USA

I have a Nikon D70 which I've had for 2 years with no problems. A couple of days ago, I went to use it and when looking through the eye piece, everything was darker than normal; as if I was shooting with very little light (which wasn't the case). Any idea's as to the problem?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14592
Change the aperture setting and see if it changes then check the DOF preview button. It may be stuck.

Username: Racertracer

d70 problem, takes a few shot then nothing......shuts down. what can i do?

Slovenija

No error mesages ?

d70 problem, takes a few shot then nothing......shuts down, is this a recall.

no error messages.

Username: Artboy213

Yes, I had the same problem. Sent it in and Nikon serviced it for free.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15419
There is a service bulletin on the Nikon D70 and Nikon will repair it for free. Send it in.

Nikon responded .... Not under warranty $225.00.... is this right?

Mailed in to nikon last friday, received response through email. I had previosly sent it in.... prior to my posting.

Response $225.00 to repair

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15420
It depends on what the problem was. If the problem is with the green blinking light and various software problem, then it is under warranty. If the problem is mechanical, like the shutter, it may not be covered under the warranty. The repair cost is just about right if it is a shutter problem.

just called Nikon, told them that in the past this problem has been resolved with Nikon having to repair the camera free of charge due to I a recall and I want the same service with no charge.

The rep said that he will linform his superiors and let me know what the new assessment is with an email in the next few days.

I'll keep you posted

I just got word back from Nikon and they say that there is a memery card reader error that has nothing to do with the service advisory.

Below is a cut and paste of what the service advisory states:

It has come to our attention that select electrical components in a limited number of D70 cameras may, in some instances, fail affecting camera performance and/or operability.

While only a limited number of D70 cameras are affected by this advisory, if (1) when a memory card is inserted, your D70's memory card access lamp blinks, locking camera operations and preventing operation, or (2) with no memory card inserted, the camera will not turn on despite the battery indicator showing a fully charged battery, Nikon Inc. will service it free of charge.

To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides return instructions.

The Frequently Asked Questions button at the bottom of this page offers more information about this advisory and, should you have more questions, also provides information about how to contact Nikon.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience.

I believe my problem is still part of the service advisory since it deals with the memory card.

Any suggestions?

error code "CHA" anyone know what that indicates>

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15446
Memory Card error. Indicative of memory card malfunction.

Post Number: 9
I wonder if this is a precursor to the dreaded Blinking Green Light of Death?

Post Number: 10
according to a repair station, this error is due to the Nikon connector pins either being bent or have pushed through the connector receptacle or a bad cf card.

Nikon said that this problem is not a known issue to Nikon.

repair cost is 225.00

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15451
I don't believe that it is a pre-cursor to the BGLOD.

However, I have seen a lot of users carelessly insert the CF card into the slot and bending some pins. they are either too much in a hurry or forcing the CF card into place.

It also happens when you are using a generic CF card brand.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Berny,
I need your advise...you think it's worth fixing?

I can find a used one on ebay for 260 to 300.

Raffaele

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15458
Yes it is. Buying a used one is not going to guarantee a working model.

If you can get it fixed for the price of a used D70, you are still ahead, because your unit will be in better working condition.

It will be cleaned and serviced properly, and any bugs will be fixed.

Username: Mikeranc

Hi,

I'm really frustrated with my D70s. I paid a good chunk of money for this camera and expected it to last more then 2 years? D70s will not recognize my memory card? The camera seems to operate except it will say no card present when inserted into the camera. It is a Sandisk 256mb and works fine in other cameras. There is a -E- in the picture counter display. I do recall getting "FOR" error and thought I might have accidentally pushed the format buttons. I just turned it off to get rid of it. Anyone ever have this same problem and found a fix?

thanks,
Mike

Just to clarify, when i say the "camera seems to operate" I mean all displays are on. I cannot take pictures since the camera thinks there is no card inserted. There is a feature in the camera menu that lets you lock the camera if the memory card is full or not inserted. If I change it to unlock, the camera will snap picture but obviously not write them to the card since it does not recognize it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Mike,

if you read my previous post above, You will notice that I have been dealing with this same issue for some time now.

Nikon said it is not their problem.

I believe it is.

From what I have discovered after speaking to several camera repair stations via email around the world, it seams that the memory card receptacle in the camera malfunctions.

Sometimes the pins get bent due to user misaligning the card when they push it in causingthe pins to bend, ( didn't have this problem, my pins were straight).

Other times the actual pins get pushed through to the other side of the socket due to wear and disconnect from the receptacle cuasing the malfunction. This is what happened to mine and Nikon said it is not under Nikon warranty. I believe it should be.

These receptacles should be made to last.... It's a nikon workhorse and that why we spend good hard earned money on and expect Nikon to back it up with a repair if it malfunctions.

If you decide to send it in for repair, press Nikon to fix it for free if your pins are not bent due to user error, and report back to us with their response.

I believe they must act as a responsible compnay and repair this memory card receptacle problem free of charge. An issue that is being voiced by Nikon D70 users the world over.

Raffaele

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15510
Excellent point. If the pins got pushed in and not bent, that is a Quality Control problem and not a consumer issue. The unit should be able to handle the constant in and out operation of the memory card.

If the pins get bent, it is arguable that it could be the carelessness of the user.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15511
Mike, ensure that you are using a memory card "recommended" by Nikon. There are a few cards out there that will malfunction, specially the generic kinds.

Try changing the memory card. Do a hard re-set of the camera and try again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Mike,

Go the following Link and see what Nikon says are acceptabe cards to use:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi d=9601

Raffaele

Thanks for the prompt responses. I did the resets and inspected the pins prior to my post. No visible broken or missing pins. My card is approved by Nikon and works fine in other cameras. I also borrowed a friends card (Lexar 1G)and it will not recognize it. I can't see it being the pins as I hardly took the card out. I used the USB to transfer pics

I called Nikon and their first line support obviously suggest to send it in. They had no sympathy about my issue and told me all I could do is send it in. Instead, I took it to a local respected camera repair shop where they will provide a free estimate. I'll post when I get results. If the repair is expensive I will definitely be taking this up with Nikon. I bought the SLR when my daughter was born hoping to have a good quality camera to capture the moments for years to come.

In a way I glad this happened now as I was thinking of adding additional equipment (18-200 VR). I couldn't imagine spending another $700 and have this happen. For now I'm back to my old Canon Powershot. It has never failed me and it's being through alot. Sorry...just venting!

Username: Kuching16

I have a D70 and once a while I see the CHA error. I don't normally remove my card but manage to get the camera to work again either after pushing in the card hard or take it out for reformatting then insert again.

I believe this is a Nikon issue with the reader.

Another observation is that when this happened, the camera was left in an air-con room with 22C. (I lived in a tropical country where the temp is normally 28-32C outside). The last time this happened, I was taking photo in a temperate country with about 22C as well.

So will cold & humid weather cause this?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15662
Not usually but it has been known to happen to generic memory cards.

Username: Jpryorsd

If you check on the internet, there are a bazillion messages about the CHA error. There are a number of thoughts about solution, but nothing I've found that seems definitive. Some people think it's a battery problem, many think it's a card problem, and many think it's a card reader problem. I have the problem and will probably replace the camera. Due to this problem I was unable to shoot my mother-in-law's 90th birthday party; that opportunity will not come again. I am NOT happy. I've tried multiple cards of multiple brands and have had the pins looked at. About 15,000 pictures through the camera with no problems until about 6 months ago. I tend to believe it's a card reader problem. Whatever it is, it's bad and it's fairly common. Overall, I've gotten a lot of good pictures out of my D70, but I've also had a lot of problems with it, including the FOR and CHA errors.

Oh, and btw, the blinking green light problem that results in a lock-up of the camera is well known and is referred to as the BGLOD (blinking green light of death); Nikon will fix it. That problem is not the same as the CHA or FOR errors. The ERR error that some people have asked about is usually caused by the lens not being set to the minimum aperture and is easily fixed by turning the aperture ring on the lens to the biggest number (=smallest aperture); if that doesn't fix it, I have no advice to offer. As of the last I've heard, Nikon does not admit to there being a widespread CHA problem. A lot of people, including me, are upset about that. Our cameras are way out of warranty and it may be better to toss the camera and buy a newer model that is in warranty rather than pay US $200+ to MAYBE (see numerous posts) get a fix. fwiw. John

My apologies, I mentioned in an earlier post that I would post the results of my D70s repair estimate. Turns out it was the card reader and it had to be replaced. I paid the $180 + tax to fix it. It's working fine for now. I had a few messages going back to forth with Nikon but I gave up. Worth a try. I'll hang on to my receipt in case it ever becomes a major issue and Nikon will offer a free fix. Maybe I'll get my money back someday!

Username: Ev_kanter

New York, NY United States

Just found this forum when I googled 'D70S repair'. Reassuring to know it's not just me, not just my D70s.

I have changed mem card brands and speeds multiple times since the glitch first appeared a few months ago. I format each new card 2-3-4 times, and my D70S still gives me blinking FOR (format error) after a few pix, and blinking CHR (charge)even when fully charged. Have missed many great pix because only way to reset is turn camera off/on repeatedly, take mem card out and put it back, in various combos, before error code goes away -- that does work, but it is time consuming and not foolproof.

Error codes won't let me download to my portable external drive on the road, which means I can't wipe the card and re-use, which means I have to have multiple cards. Same problem with computer -- cannot download images without the photo recovery software I had to buy to fix what seems to be Nikon's glitch.

Will try a hard reset suggested several postings up -- with my fingers crossed.

Evelyn, if you've changed cards and it still occurs, it's almost certainly the card reader in the camera. I tried the hard reset and various cards,but nothing worked. I took my camera to one repair shop but they hadn't heard anything about this problem. I considered scrapping the camera, but anything I would buy in its place was MUCH more expensive. I finally tried a second repair shop that was very familiar with the problem and fixed it in 2 days by replacing the card reader. Cost me US $260 out the door, which is a lot for a camera that originally cost $1000, but still a lot less than the D300 I was considering. I strongly recommend talking to a couple of repair places and then getting it fixed by whoever seems to recognize the problem and know how to fix it.

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I finally got mine repaired by NIKON in New York.

After battleing with them on the excessive costs they reduced the repair fee to 150.00 dollars .

I got it repaired for $150.00 from Nikon, after lots of communications and blood sweat an tears.

Fight for it.

Raffaele

Username: Rayeve58

Woodchurch, Kent UK

When taking a photo the shutter does a double take but does not register the photo info. A "err" is then indicated on the display. This is a intermittent fault and continuous efforts allows a normal picture to be taken. If the camera in held upside down it then functions normal. Have tried a reset, newly charged batteries and different lenses but to no avail. This also occurs within all settings

Username: Fev

Ray, I had this problem exactly - very intermittant, never knew when it would happen, and it turned out to be a shutter fault. Advanced Camera Services replaced the shutter along with a conversion to infra red, so I don't know how much it would be just for the shutter.

Username: Rayeve58

Woodchurch, Kent UK

Thanks Heather. I have sent the unit off to Nikon UK for repairs. Hope not to expensive. As this Camera gave fantastic service during our overland trip through Africa, dust dust rain mud dust I suspect a good service will be required. I have since purchased a D80 with a 18-135 lens which I am very happy with but I still miss my old faithful D70S

Username: Malpipilaxxx

Hi Im Duminda,
I have 8 Nikon D70s cameras with me. 3 of these cameras have the same problum. It dose not indicate number of pictures to take, on control panal and display is not workong at all. On the control panal other indications are ok. The shutter also working even card is not in the camera too.Do ull face this problum at any time. Be good enaught to respond

Username: Malpipilaxxx

If i press the reset button nothing will happen.But on the control panal "clock" will apair. And no short cut buttons are working too.

Username: Marianne

Wow! I am a new owner of a previously-used D70s. I'm wondering what I ahve gotten myself into? you all seem to be having a lot of problems with them. So am I but I don't see it posted anywhere.
I had not read the instruction book carefully enough and I took the memory card out while the camera was still on. Now I can't get that memory car or a different one to go in. Any suggestions? thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
If you are no longer able to insert the card into the card reader then you may have bent a tooth on the reader get a magnifing glass and look down at the teeth (small gold colored nails) located in the card reader, see if one or more of the teeth have been damaged. If Not then Nikon repair deserves a call.

Username: Charly87

Hi there,
Hoping someone might be able to help me! I have had my D70s for almost 5 years, and love it! I was at a conference this weekend, and took a bunch of pictures, showed them to a couple of people (on the LCD screen). This morning, however, I went to download the pictures onto my computer, and all of a sudden it was not reading the card, and the LCD screen does not show anything. It's quite weird because nobody touched it in between last night and this morning, and yet obviously something changed...
Anyone have any ideas for me? I have attempted resetting it using the BKT and Metering buttons, as well as the actual reset button with no change.

Username: Gd_magon

regarding the err message on d 70, this would happen on taking shot in any mode/setting, eg once pushing shutter release button,nothing happens just an err message would flash,pushing it a second time the shutter operates, but no photo taken. after a lot searching the net,and no joy I found by doing a low pass filter clean fixed the problem. follow the instructions but take note, when the message "press the shutter-release button" is displayed and you do so, the mirror and shutter curtain should open it wont, dont give-up keep trying, once open dont prod in there use an air blower,then turn camera off and refit lens, happy clicking.

Username: Mvk

hi, I have a d70s, in the last while I see OFF appear in the viewfinder and lcd screen - can't take photo during this - turning the camera on then off solves the problem. any suggestions?

Username: Afrench45

My D70s has a problem,takes pictures but when you try to view them,it all looks solarized.The menus work fine.Any thoughts anybody?}}}}

Username: Msousa

} Hello everybody. Thank you for providing a great service in helping!

I recently bought a second hand D70s with only 1448 actuations in mint condition for £300 with some extra acessories.
Yesterday i took a couple of pictures just to test it and everything seemed to be working fine.
Today it was a good day for light and I took the camera with me for a real test, and after a 20 odd pictures taken, the shutter got stuck in the closed position.
In order to resolve this issue I had to take the battery out, put it back in again, at this point I was able to turn the camera back on but the message " Err " apears on the LCD screen, I have now press the shutter button again to release the shutter but if I try to take another picture the same problem happens again.

I have now formatted the memory card, clean the battery connections on the batterty and in the camera, clean the connectors of the lenses and the problem still persists.

Any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue permanently?

Many thanks in advance.
Keep up the good job.

Username: Paul_talbot

I have increasingly serious problems with my D70s that seem to be shared by others. I have had my d70s since October 2005.

(a) Like Evelyn, above, I have changed mem card brands and speeds multiple times since the glitch first appeared a few months ago. I format each new card 2-3-4 times, and my D70S still gives me blinking FOR (format error) occasionally, and a CHA error from time to time. Have missed many great pix because only way to reset is turn camera off/on repeatedly, take mem card out and put it back, in various combos, before error code goes away -- that does work, but it is time consuming and not foolproof.

IN addition, my camera is, with increasing frequency, corrupting the files recorded on the memory cards. The file names are gibberish, and I can't change the names. Sometimes several files will be written for the same photo, one of which is the "good" file and several of which are corrupt files. Instead of using a card reader or USB download, I have to manually download the good pictures onto my computer or onto a flash drive. I can't rely on my camera to work properly any more.

Error codes won't let me download to my portable external drive on the road, which means I can't wipe the card and re-use, which means I have to have multiple cards. Same problem with computer -- cannot download images. Does error recovery software work? Which would you recommend?

Will a hard reset work? What will that do? Will it totally mess up the camera?

Thanks for any suggestions

There is a known problem that can cause the ERR, CHA or FOR error. There was a LOT of discussion about it about a year or so ago when a lot of us were experiencing it. I don't have the exact details, but it comes from a broken card reader where you plug in your memory card. It is a common problem and can be fixed by having a camera shop send your camera to Nikon. It cost me about US $200 if I remember correctly.

Username: Saurabh325

hi guys ....i might be buying a d70s from my firend but the flash is not working properly as it shoot the flash but the light is not that good to get a clear n bright picture....so can someone temme what i should do to fix this thing as soon as possible ??

Username: Markmoor

Need some help here. My 6 yr old D70 decided to just start taking black pictures recently. Viewfinder and actual pics are just black - no resemblance to the pics taken. I've reset using the little button... Any ideas?

Username: Sfra063

I have a Nikon D70S. It has been working fine for years. Recently I was on a trip, turned my camera on, can take pictures but the monitor is not work properly. I take a picture and I cannot see it in the monitor anymore. From time to time I will take a picture and the moniktor will turn on for a short period of time then it just randomly turns off. I can still take pictures and they still get saved to the card but it is really annoying not to be able to view my pictures on the monitor. Any ideas why this might be happening? Has this happened to anyone else and what was the cost of getting it fixed?

Username: Sincerememories2012

Freedom, New Hampshire United States

Hi as of this morning I have had the message FOR or CAR on my screen...it also either says card needs to be formatted (when I try and format it it never completes) then says the card cant be read..I read up above something about a reset button, do u think that would help fix the issue and if not what should I do? I have taken the battery out and even tried different cards and nothing helped...but yesterday the camera was working Fine...Please help...we just got our photography website and are getting clients and now our camera is crashing on us

Username: Ryandiem

Miami Beach, FL United States

I can't download images with Nikon software from card??

florida web designers
http://www.bbexmarketing.com/website_design.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us