What New Cams Plays 8mm Tapes?

Username: Sienna

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I know this must've been asked a thousand times here, but I need more clarrification on the subject so I don't waste money.

I have old 8mm tapes, and I have no cam for it anymore, but I need the stuff off the tapes.

My question is.

What Camera is new and digital that will allow me to put in these old 8mm tapes, as well as, a new sort of recording media, like straight to dvd or Hard Disk?

I want to be able to record my old 8mm tapes onto my computer to make DVDs out of them to play on my tv. But I also need a new camera that is for now use. I don't want to have to buy two cameras.

Is this possible in any sort of camera? And what is it.

Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Sienna

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4227
Depending on the amount of tapes that you want transfer to dvd. a new 8mm tape/camcorder is not practical. A lot of cmacorders are going to the DV Tape or DVD direct format. Another brilliant idea by Sony, see how you contemplate on buying another camcorder just for the capability of playing old 8mm tapes?

However, an alternative is to have your old 8mm tapes transferred to DVD via third party. Just bring in your 8mm tapes to the company or send them out and they put it on DVD for you at a lot less money than getting another 8mm camcorder.

Now you can just concentrate on getting a camera that uses non-proprietary media like DVD or Mini DV.

Here is one company that you may want to check out. I have not used them nor am I familiar with this company. This is just for reference:

http://www.high-techproductions.com/8mm_to_dvd.htm

Post Number: 2
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a company that said they can transfer my stuff, but it is going to cost more than 3 new cameras since I have over 2000 hours of 8mm tapes :-).

I don't want a new 8mm camera, I want a new Style DV minDV or whatever they are that also has the ability to play my old 8mm tapes, so I can transfer them straight to PC while also having the new type media available for me to record for future videos.

I heard or seen soemwhere on here that a Digital8 Camera has the ability to use 8mm tapes as well. Is this true, if so, this is something in the area Im looking at. A new Camera style with media, but still being able to play my older 8mm tapes.

Post Number: 4
Anybody there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4229
Sony makes the 8mm digital hi8 that still plays the regular 8mm tapes. Go to your local camcorder dealer and inquire after you do more research.

Post Number: 5
Ah thanks Benny : ), that's what I needed to know. Do all of them play it, or only a spcific model?

So I guess miniDV and everything newer than Digital8 can't play these old tapes as well?

Thanks a lot for your response, I really appreciate it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4232
Sony plays all of the 8mm tapes. But you still have to read up on the specs. I believe the cheaper models are not backwards compatible.

Mini DV and Digital 8 are totally different formats. Sony can really lock you in on their products once you buy their proprietary media.

Manny Smash
Unregistered guest
Took 5 min to find this on Sony site....LOL
Experience all of your memories digitally with Sony's DCR-TRV480 Handycam camcorder. Designed with the record and zoom buttons right at your finger tips on the LCD frame, the 500 lines of screen resolution provide you with incredibly vibrant colour and detail, making it easier than ever to capture the scenes you're after. There's also a 1/6" CCD imager and 460K gross pixels gross to get close up and personal. Sony's Easy Handycam button, Steadyshot and NightShot plus features will let you make magnificent movies in no time. The DCR-TRV480 also offers playback flexibility thanks to its versatile backwards compatibility -- you can view your library of 8mm/Hi8 videos or convert them to digital format
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us