Archive through June 04, 2005

I have a JVC GR-D70 Model mini dv camera. I recently got a IEEE 1394 firewire card, and installed it on my computer, i also have the software, but i am stuck as to how to get my computer to recognize my camera ?! i tried installing it but it sais i dont have the appropriate driver !? what do i do ?

Derek
Try Movie Maker II. What does it say when you connect the camera? You may be able to install a generic DV-Camera driver. XP has one.

Brown JAMI
I had bought 5 JVC-GR D70 camcorder,
When I install PC,I find 3 program inside USB drive disk,
1.digital photo Navigator1.0
2.Presto Mr.photo3
3.Reader5.0
when I had not install them,I can move still
image to PC directly,but after I install them I can never
move a movie into PC
That is: camera is good,
but, movie can not into PC by USB ,
how can I connect camcorder to PC?
Sincerely yous user

Derek
You need a firewire card in your PC.

Username: Skybo

London

Post Number: 1
i have a jvc grdx97 with pixela software.i can get video on to my laptop but can't convert it to vcd.can i you's orther software.please help.

Unregistered guest
i have installed my usb driver and can upload my phots but when i try to up load video it says cam cord not detected can any one help with step by step in struction on how to do thank u

Unregistered guest
how do i make it so i can make my cam corder into a web cam??? kennyt86@hotmail.com cheers

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 790
usb does not usually transfer videos try using a fire wire IEEE1394

Unregistered guest
I have a GR-D72. Two days ago I bought it and shot some video, came home, hooked up with the fire wire and dubbed to my PC. Worked great. I took more video, hooked up to the PC and every thing seems to work except there is no video on the PC and all movie programs say the video is too short to record. It acts like its working but no video, controls from PC are fine. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. HELP PLEASE!

Unregistered guest
When I try to upload my mini DV video footage to my computer using Ulead's Video Studio version 6.0 'SE Basic' I am asked to click on either PAL DV AVI or PAL VCD. Which one do I click on please?

Can you reply to my email address please. (Norman@Dunn247.com)

THANK YOU,
Norman

The Viewer
Unregistered guest
I have had the same problem with the gr-d70 camcorder. I have spoken to loads of people who say dv in/out should work but on my computer it doesn't.

bcgod2001@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem the PC does not recognise the camcorder the model JVC - GR-D70, how do I download from the Camcorder to the PC, the software supplied by the company is off no use, pls help

Username: Liviulucian

i need a jvc Dx 67 usb driver
the camcorder is same with Dx 77, 97 ,.
please
liviulucian@rdslink.ro

Unregistered guest
may sound silly but i cant get my camcorder to install on my computer i have fire wire which is installed but cant get my computer to respond to my camcorder, how can i do this? the camcorder is a GR-D33. any advice would be great, thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2719
Is the IEEE 1394 device enabled?

Unregistered guest
i have a jvc mini dv camcorder i had a firewire slot installed today...my camera will come on and it shows live plus recorderd video...but it wont yet me use it in yahoo or msn messenger.....they say its not recognized is there something else i need to do ?

Unregistered guest
I have a GR-D70 WinXP & AOL 9.0 if I install the camera drivers,AOL wont log on <broadband> kicks off at step 4 with error code 24-04-45-021 usb or firewire cable makes no difference. can anyone help please?

Jimmy Frimpton
Unregistered guest
I have a GR-D72 camcorder, and I'm looking everywhere to find a good firewire driver for free. Also, how do I make my mac (OS 9.2) see my camera?

Unregistered guest
i have had a JVC GR-D90u for about an hour and have figured out from the manual it is a mis representation of what the camera really is.

It will only allow data transfer of still pictures from the memory card, and there is no mention of a way to tranfer video directly from the dv tape to the computer.

I am taking it back to get what I need and be sure not to jump at something that just says Mini DV on it.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A JVC DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA GR-D33AS I CONNECTED IT USING A DV CABLE TO MY USB PORT BUT MY XP IS NOT ABLE TO RECOGANISE THE DEVICE WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP ME TO DOWNLOAD MY MOVIES FROM MY CAM TO MY COMPUTER

Bronze Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 19
Grishin,

You might be pushing the boundaries a bit if you are connecting a DV cable into a USB port. Does your PC have firewire equipped? If not, buy yourself a firewire PCI card (they are pretty cheap and you might get some good software thrown in) and I think your problems will be solved.

Hope that helps

thislovehastaken
Unregistered guest
anyone have the USB driver for a GR-D74U?
i lost my USB driver disk and i cant do anything now!.
porch_monkee@hotmail.com
thanks a lot

thislovehastaken
Unregistered guest
porch_monkee@hotmail.com
thanks a lot

thislovehastaken
Unregistered guest
porch_monkee@hotmail.com
thanks a lot

Unregistered guest
I was browsing the web pages when I came across your forum. I have a GR-DVX4 Digital Video Camera and I'm having a big problem. I get the E04 Error and I can\'t get the cassette out. Perhaps you might be able to help me or even direct me to some other pages where I might get some advice. My story is unbelievable, I\'ve had nothing but trouble with my camera right from the beginning.I've already paid a small fortune on repair charges and I've hardly used the goddamn thing!
All the best,
Fergus

Anonymous

A Class-Action LAWSUIT has been filed against JVC on behalf of all the people who get persistent E04 Error Codes.

It won't fix our camaras but it might get us new ones...someday...minus attorny's fees...and depreciation...and postage and handling, etc

http://jvc-class-action.blogspot.com

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=8691&post=272765#POST272765

Anonymous

TO get video from the camera to your computer with the tape, you need a firewire cable..you dont need to return the whole thing tard

Unregistered guest
HI there,

Got myself a JVC D23 mini dv camcorder..now to get it plugged into my new dell dimension pc...bought a firewire cable but its got the 4 pin connection at both ends!!

Anyone know where I can purchase a proper cable for it?

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a brand new computer that is capable of handling all of my digital imaging needs. When I try to capture my video from my JVC DV camcorder, it says that it is not connected properly. I have the firewire and am using a USB cable. Any suggestions?
Email suggestion welcome to basketgal4476@aol.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Glennlock, any computer superstore should be able to sell you a 6-pin to 4-pin firewire cable. Good luck. PS: which continent are you in?

Kim, here are some things to try, in ascending order of inconvenience

1) Just use the firewire cable to connect your camera to your PC. Most JVC cameras use only firewire for video and USB for stills.
2) If your camera has a socket for a memory card, fit one. One other JVC owner I corresponded with said this fixed his problem (and was advice from JVC, by the way)
3) Disconnect all other peripherals (especially USB) in case they are confusing your PC. Just a hunch.
4)Re-instal your capture software.
5) Re-download and re-install your capture software
6) Try a different capture software, e.g. Moviemaker from Microsoft if you use XP, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio Videowave
7) Try connecting your camera to a friend's PC and vice versa (also swapping cables) to work where the problem lies
8) If all else fails, and you are using Windows XP with SP2, consider the correspondence on the sister "How do I connect" page where one user who had problems overcame them by reverting to XP SP1 drivers. Not for the faint-hearted or inexperienced!

Hope that somewhere in this list I hit the nail on the head.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
TOCONNECT THE CAMERA OR TO DOWNLOAD THE MOVIE OVER THE PC.
FIRST DON'T INSTALL ANY THING FROM THE CD-ROM
WHT U DO IS CONNECT THE CAMERA TO THE PC USING USB AND PUT A CASS IN IT AND PUT IT ON PLAY MODE AFTER THAT THE THEPC WILL DETECT THE HARDWARE AND ASK FOR THE DRIVES THEN U INSERT THE CD ROM PROVIDED WITH THE CAMERA IN YOUR CD DRIVE IT WILL ASK FOR THE DRIVES 5 TIMES.ONCE ITS FINISHED IT WILL GIVE U THE MESSEGE U HARDWARE FOUND AND READY TOBE USED AND THEN U INSTALL IMAGE MIXER FROM THE CD ROM
AFTER DOING THAT SWITCH OFF THE CAMERA AND RESTART THE SYSTEM OK GUYS

Username: Brossem

I have a JVC GR-DVL510 DV video camera; how do I hook it up to my computer so that I can download video, edit it and then burn it to DVD? The manual only covers downloading still pictures. Also, is there an accessory out there that I can buy to use to do this (rather than using the camera as a player)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Michael, a quite decent guide can be found here: http://www.jonesgroup.net/media/id115.htm. There are ten pages to the guide, but I think you can just use pages 1 and 10 unless you want to play around with settings. Also, all the detail in pages 2 to 9 refers specifically to Ulead Videostudio (which is pretty good by the way)

Hope that helps.

Anonymous

how do I know how many pins is my pc's firewire??
thks

Anonymous

how do I know how many pins is my pc's firewire??
thks

Unregistered guest
Alright... I connected my camera to my computer, a Panasonic Mini DV 800X, and I already have my IEEE 1394 Bus Controller initialized... I use Pinnacle Studios, select the capture options and it tells me that it cannot recognize the camera. I dun have any kind of a software disk to recognize the camera once I plug it in. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Alright... I connected my camera to my computer, a Panasonic Mini DV 800X, and I already have my IEEE 1394 Bus Controller initialized... I use Pinnacle Studios, select the capture options and it tells me that it cannot recognize the camera. I dun have any kind of a software disk to recognize the camera once I plug it in. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Anonymous, it is extremely likely that if your PC is a laptop, perhaps with firewire on a PCMCIA card, it will be 4-wire. If it is a desktop, 6-pin is extremely likely. See here for a picture of a PCI card with 6-pin connectors. http://www.jonesgroup.net/media/videostudiodvcaptureone.htm
The 4-pin connectors are the same as on your camcorder, so you should be able to tell even without looking at the website.

Hope that helps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
FunkyMunky, Couple of questions:

1) Are you sure you have the camera plugged in to the firewire port, turned on, and set to "play" mode (sorry for the dumb question)

2) What OS are you using?

For my standard "DV capture debugging" list, see my April 2nd post just above.

If this doesn't help, we can correspond further.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
HELP!!! I have tried to connect my camera (JVC GR-D33) to my computer using firewire many times and ways and am nothing is working! I've tried 2 different firewire cables and the same thing happens with both. When I go into any software (have tried 3 or 4) to capture video the computer will control my camera (fast forward, rewind, play), but the video does not come across and nothing gets captured. Can anybody help me?? What am I doing wrong?

JMB
Unregistered guest
I have purchased the GR-D270u, I cannot get any PC to recognize that it is plugged into the USB port. I have changed the cable, exchanged the camcorder, and tried the multiple suggestions that I have found on this site. I still cannot get any PC to see the camcorder on the USB port. I purchased this device only because of the ease of connecting it to the PC for video editing. I will purchase a firewire card if that is the only way for this to work, but I would think it should at least be seen on the USB port by the PC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
JMB,

1) I assume that your completely followed all the instructions that were provided for using the USB connection, in particular the exact order of installing software and connecting the camcorder? In any case, you should try removing all the software/hardware components from your PC and starting again from scratch.

2) Another JVC owner told me, to my great surprise, that his PC wouldn't recognise the presence of the camcorder unless a media card was inserted in the camcorder. Just something quick and easy to try.

3) For DV transfer to your PC, you do need firewwire. I strongly suggest you buy a cheap card (I paid US$ 15 recently for a card/cable/Ulead VideoStudio package!) and give it a try. Once you are doing that successfully, you might not care so much about the stills via USB. Normally, camcorders make pretty mediocre digicams...

Hope that helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Megan, please provide a bit more detail. You have already explained that you can control the camera remotely from the PC. When you click the red "record" button (I think most are of these programmes are pretty much the same), what do you see next? Is the camera still running? Does the preview screen go black?

Also, what OS are you using?

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem as megan with the same camera (gr-d33u). The camera runs but the preview goes black. This camera captured just fine pryor to SP2. After SP2...has'nt worked since!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
av8rmech, if this is a problem which really only began after you loaded XP SP2, then maybe you should take a look at the following web page, where another user describes how he cured his "post SP2 install" problems by reverting to SP1 drivers. But this is something you should only consider if you are very PC-literate AND can back up all important data before you try....

PLEASE do let me know if it works (assuming you decide to give it a try).

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t106716.html

Cheers.

Anonymous

O.K I have a long suffering problem similar to many of the above. I have a JVC gr-DVM5 mini dv camcorder w/o any software. I recently bought a firewirecard and I have adobe premier. My firewire card is installed o.k (I think) but I don't know how to get my computer to recognise my camera. Can anyone help... I'm at my wits end!!!THANKS

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Anonymous, I will help you!

Couple of things to start with:

1) have you fitted a memory card in the camcorder? One other JVC owner said this fixed his problem.

2) What OS and service pack are you running?

Cheers

chris1 anon
Unregistered guest
Nice one gromit.... O.k I need a memory card for my camcorder??? I can't even see where a memory card would go.. I have only got windows 98.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
chris1anon,

You will be pleased to know that I also connect a JVC camcorder to my Win 98 PC (my PC is Win98SE to be exact). Also, I don't have any memory card in my JVC DV camcorder. In my case that is because it is very old -in yours, because it is an up-market tiny device I suspect.

Have you checked in Device Manager to ensure that your firewire card is showing up OK? Also, when you connect the camera and turn it on, then regardless of any capture programme running, in Device Manager you should see something like "Microsoft DV camera" suddenly appear under the heading "Imaging Devices"

If you DO see the camera under Imaging Devices then try a different capture programme such as VideoWave or VideoStudio. If you DON'T see the camera, we have some further debugging to do.

Let me know.

Cheers

chris1anon
Unregistered guest
Cheers Gromit...
O.k When I go to Device Manager It says 1394 Bus Controller. From that it says NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. ( I Guess that's my Firewire card YES?)
When I go to Properties (General) It says "This device is working properly."
When I go to Properties (Driver) It says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."
I also have Win98SE ACCORDING TO THE DISK that I have, however when I tried to install my firewire card it was asking for win98SE when the disk was already in... So I had to download the drivers off the net.

Last thing... I also have a fairly old camera. It's the upright kind with a side pop out screen.
It takes TDK miniDV60 tapes.

Thanks very much for your help
Chris

chris1anon
Unregistered guest
Also I forgot to add that, No my camera doesn't come up in device manager just in case that wasn't obvious from the post...
Thanks again
Chris

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Chris,

Can you at least see "Imaging Device" in your Device Manager? That is the section where I see the camcorder appearing and disapearing

If yes, under there, can you see an "Unknown device"?

Cheers.

chris1anon
Unregistered guest
No. No sign of Imaging Device in device manager. My camera is plugged in and switched on yet I still don't see any sign of it.

Thanks

chris

Anonymous

I have some really stupid questions. Where is the IEEE 1394 port located? And what cable do you use?
I just got my Dell computer and my JVC mini dv camera (GR-D270U). I tried connecting using the USB port, but the computer didn't recognize the camera.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Chris,

We may be on to something here. I checked my other Win98 computer which has never had a camcorder or digicam attached, and that too does not have "Imaging device" as a category in Device Manager. That leads me to believe that the original request to insert the Windows 98 disk did in fact remain unfulfilled, despite the "drivers" you downloaded.

I would concentrate on getting your firewire card to ask again for that Win 98 disk, and figuring out why it can't see what it wants. Sometimes, Windows is very dumb - you might need to change the drive letter or even search the disk to guide Windows to the file it wants.

To kick this off, it might be necessary to completely un-install your firewire card and start again.

By the way, are you PAL or NTSC?

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Anonymous, firewire ports are normally found on the back of your computer. You use a firewire cable, which is normally supplied with the firewire card.

I don't believe most low-medium end Dells have firewire as standard, so you probably need to buy a card. They are cheap, fortunately.

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Chris, after further consideration, I rather suspect that even if your firewire card is 100% correctly installed, you probably wouldn't see "Imaging device" as a category until the first time you connect the camera, the device is recognised, and Windows requests the CD-ROM. But in any case, completely removing the firewire card (and IEEE 1394 in Device manager) may be a good way to establish a known starting point.

If your new firewire installation is successful, and there is no reaction (such as requesting the CD-ROM) when you connect the camcorder, then I think it's time to try your camera on a friend's PC and vice versa

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
hey I need help?? see I had this JVC camcorder installed and now It dont show up no more and I cant get it installed again what do I do??help email me if ya got a solution please hotkaleb@operamail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
hotkaleb1,

I think you need to consider what has recently changed in your installation...

- have you recently installed any new applications, or upgraded any applications? RealPlayer is one application I have found to conflict with Windows XP wizards.

- have you recently upgraded to XP SP2? There are some question marks about this. Post again if you think this might be the problem.

- have you recently installed any new hardware? Hardware conflicts are less common these days but still a possibility.

Let me know if any of this rings a bell. Also, if you do post again, please confirm your OS, capture programme and the interface you are using to connect between the camcorder and PC.

Cheers.

gerry2333333333
Unregistered guest
How do I transfer e clips from my JVC 97ek to my computer. I can see the clips on my computer but can't see anyway of transfering them to the comp for attaching to emails.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Gerry,

A product spec page for this device:

http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=40520

indicates that there is a special setting for taking videos intended for emailing (MPEG-1). Probably you would use USB to transfer these clips to your PC. There is probably a software package supplied with your PC to achieve the transfer.

Another route for you to follow is to take normal DV, transfer it to your PC via firewire, and convert to MPEG-1 (with small screen size) to achieve the same result. But that way, you also have a high definition copy for posterity. Use the software supplied with your firewire card to transfer the DV into your computer.

In both cases, you will quickly reach the maximum file size for email attachments, even with short clips.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
I have a small problem. I've set up my GR-DVP3U on my computer and can get windows Movie Maker to recognize it using the generic "AVC Compliant DV Device" driver. However, when I go to Movie Maker to capture the video, it takes a long time to go through the menu. Eventually, the software just freezes and I have to cancel everything. I think that a more specific driver will solve the problem. I have tried the generic drivers for DV Devices supplied with Windows XP, but they do not work. I am running of of AC power, not the battery. Any help you can give will be great.

Please respond via E-Mail @ benderdf@aol.com

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
DFBender,

You might want to try downloading Roxio VideoWave (my favourite) or Ulead VideoStudio as a comparison point against Moviemaker - although I haven't heard of this problem in Moviemaker before. If you get the same problem - yes, you need to look deeper into your system, although the generic drivers should be fine. You could also try re-installing Moviemaker, of course.

If you finish up with your finger pointing firmly at the OS, I can give you some other links to consider.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect my new Panasonic NV GS-120 using the firewire IEEE 1394 connection... but Windows XP does not recognise the camera, not even when I connect it and reconnect it to the 1394 TI OHCI cardbus I have inserted in my laptop.
Does anybody know what happens here??? I tried some of the solutions explained above, but the camera (which is already on and in the "play" mode, of course) is still not recognised at all.
Instead -weirdly- the cardbus it is accepted by Windows XP... and the device seems not to have any problem.
Thank you!

Username: Youngin

I have a JVC GR-D275, I am currently unable to transfer the video from my DV cam to my computer. Do I need cables or software plz help.
Oh yah i would like to be able to edit the video with windows moivie maker.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Adriverdolaga,

If you are completely stuck (and have really tried all the "normal" debugging steps), then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
David,

Unless your PC is already equipped, you will need a firewire card to connect your camcorder to your PC. Don't try to use USB unless there is absolutely no alternative. Firewire cards are very cheap (approx $20) and normally come bundled with a cable and video editing software. The editing software is also used for transferring the video to your PC.

Hope that helps.

Adriverdolaga
Unregistered guest
Gromit,
Thank you very much for your quick reply... but, should I do what you recommend if it is as "dangerous" as you have stated? Is it that extreme as it sounds this situation? Which are the potential risks?
Thank you again!

Username: Youngin

Post Number: 2
Gormit,
Thank you very much for the help. I'm going to get the card tommorow.

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Adriverdolaga,

Playing around with system files in Windows can have unpredictable results, up to and including complete failure to start up. I have been there and done that. So you should only do this if you are VERY confident that you will be able to follow the instructions exactly, and have a cast-iron recovery path (e.g. a verified Ghost image) in case things go horribly wrong. Having said that, the files at stake here are specific to video activity, so you would be a bit unlucky to have a complete meltdown. And at least one user has cured connection problems this way.

The bottom line is that it is an option you can consider if all your other debugging has failed and your finger of suspicion is pointed at the PC/OS itself.

Needless to say, it's an "at your own risk" option!

As I have mentioned this link to a number of users, and received minimal feedback, it would really, really help me if you let me know the outcome if you try it. Oh, maybe those other guys can't switch on their PCs anymore ;-)

Cheers, Gromit.

Unregistered guest
Hi I have bought JVC digital video camera GR-DVL145 . It is working okay but I am unbale to connect to my PC . Manual says it is 4 pin, IEEE 1394 compliant. I installed the said card and system detects the card but when connect the camera nothing comes up. What do I do ?? I talked to loads of ppl but nothin comes up. Pls. help me ... bubbelgum902@yahoo.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Verma,

This is my complete "connection problems" debugging cookbook, mostly my own work but one or two ideas borrowed from other contributors:

1) Disconnect USB and just use the firewire cable to connect your camera to your PC. Most cameras use only firewire for video and USB for stills. Having the USB connection present might possibly cause a problem
2) Play around a bit to make sure there is no "sequence" issue affecting you. By this I mean experimenting with connecting and turning the camera on before, or during the capture programme running
3) Look in Device Manager to check if both your 1394 controller and camcorder are present and correct. The 1394 controller should show up the whole time. The camcorder should show up when you connect it and turn it on, then disappear when you turn it off.
3) If your camera has a socket for a memory card, fit one. One JVC owner I corresponded with said this fixed his problem (and was advice from JVC, by the way)
4) Disconnect all other peripherals (especially USB) in case they are confusing your PC. Just a hunch.
5) Re-instal your capture software.
6) Re-download and re-install your capture software
7) Try a different capture software, e.g. Moviemaker from Microsoft if you use XP, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio Videowave
8) Think whether have you recently installed any new applications, or upgraded any applications? RealPlayer is one application I have found to conflict with Windows XP wizards
9) Think about whether you have installed any hardware that might be causing a conflict. Not a very common problem these days but still a possibility. Check via Device Manager.
10) Try connecting your camera to a friend's PC and vice versa to work out, through a process of elimination, where the problem lies. Remember that capture will only work if the camera, cable, firewire card and PC are all OK.
11) If you are completely stuck, then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.

Hope that somewhere in this list I hit the nail on the head

Cheers.

Adriverdolaga
Unregistered guest
Gromit,
Thank you very much for your advice.
I think I won't risk my computer to this "major surgery" just becuse this tantrum of the system drives my crazy.
In fact, I will re-sell this TI OHCI 1394 card via e-bay, because I am almost convinced it has a compatibility problem with the Panasonic DV camcorders. (Besides, my laptop is a Sony Vaio, and I was told that sometimes this could be a potential extra issue).
Anyway, I will tell you if finally I could sold this trouble.

Again, Gromit, thank you for your kind help.

Regards,

Adriverdolaga

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Adriverdolaga,

I'm always more than happy to help - especially if the correspondent lets me know what finally fixes it!!

Good luck and I love the user name, by the way.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Gromit, I tried using another capture software. It still froze up. Upon checking deeper into the Windows Movie Maker Troubleshooting, I discovered that it had a situation that mirrored mine. It said that the camera was not connecting properly to the software. I think the other software was experiencing the same situation. This sounds like a driver situation to me, so is there any sites out there for discontinued DV Camera drivers that you know of? My camera is rather old and so I'm not sure if there would be any good drivers for it.

Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
DF,

Sorry to hear your problems are ongoing.

So far as I am aware, DV cameras do have or require specific drivers. My 5 year old and my 1 year old DV cameras both connected to my Win98SE PC without any requirement for drivers other than the generic ones ("Microsoft DV etc"). I believe that drivers are only used for the USB connection, if applicable to your camera.

Just a bit higher up in this page, you can find my entire 'cookbook" for connection debugging. I'd try 3, 10 and even 11 in your situation, I think.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
WHOOPS: my previous message should have read:

So far as I am aware, DV cameras do NOT have or require specific drivers.

Sorry about that.

Adriverdolaga
Unregistered guest
Dear Gromit,
I still have the problem with the IEEE-1394, but tomorrow, when I receive by post a firewire cable 4 to 4, I will plug it to the terminal of my Sony Vaio. I hadnīt use it before just because I was told it was only for Sony camcorders (which use the i-link thing). Do you think that the computer does not recognize my Panasonic camera just because I used another PCI card??? Now I think that this could be part of the problem...

Thank you again, Gromit!

Adriverdolaga

P.D:: Do you really like my nickname? Why, because of the way it sounds? ;)

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Adriverdolaga,

Your question could be interpreted in a couple of ways, but the answer is basically the same:

1) I do not think it is possible that your laptop would fail to recognise your camera, because something in your camera changed when it was connected to a different PCI card in a desktop machine.

2) I do not think it is possible that your desktop computer would fail to recognise your camcorder because you are using a different firewire PCI card now than the one you used to, so long as your device manager is only showing a single device. Even if two were visible, I would be very surprised. BTW, I don't recall you mentioning that you were on your second PCI firewire card. If you have any doubts on this, remove all IEEE 1394 devices from Device Manager, and re-instal your firewire card. You will probably be prompted for your Windows CD - consider that to be a good thing.

Next, I am sure it must have been a Sony store salesman who told you that your laptop would only work with Sony camcorders. Sony are certainly restrictive in their architecture, but that would be suicidal!

In terms of solving your problem, you can see my complete "cookbook" above for other suggestions -maybe you'll find something there that will help.

Good luck!
PS: yes, and yes

Unregistered guest
Dear Gromit,

I have a JVC GR-D72U MiniDV camera and a Dell 8400 with Windows XP Professional. I can interface with the camera via the firewire. For example, using Sonic Solutions Create DVD, I can press PLAY on the computer and it operates the camera (FF, Rewind, etc.).

Here's my problem: I can capture onto my PC using the video mode (i.e., I can take live movies while I am connected to the computer and can capture that feed via the firewire). However, I cannot capture feed from the tape. I press the capture/record button and it PLAYS the tape but does not start capturing. Also, it stops every 5 seconds. I've tried changing the capture length to no avail.

Microsoft Movie Maker does the same thing -- it interfaces with the camera (rewinds, etc) but won't start the actual capture.

I appreciate any help you can give with this problem,

Thanks!!!

Adam

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Adam,

This is such an unusual problem that I think you can abandon all the normal debugging steps and just go straight to the process of trying your camera on a friend's PC and vice versa. For once, my finger of suspicion is pointed at the camera, by the way.

Can you just confirm that both capture programmes are identical, i.e. capture in "camera" mode is perfect, but capture in "playback" mode stops after 5 seconds?

Also, do you get any error messages when this happens? I found a web page where a perhaps similar problem to yours was discussed (but no solution listed, unfortunately). See the April 13th post: http://www.dvd-software.info/forums/ftopic1227-165.html

One other step that might be worthwhile is disconnecting all your USB devices. But really, the acid test is as I described above.

Please do let me know the outcome here. It is a very intriguing problem.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Gromit,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Yes, you understood me correctly. "Camera mode" captures glitch-free [allowing me to capture any action I film around the computer/office :-) ], but when I try to capture from the tape, nothing is captured and it stops in 5 seconds. No error messages until I hit "finish" or the equivalent and it informs me that no image has been captured.

The link you posted describes the identical problem, except I do not get the error message. I'll find a friend or co-worker with a firewire and DVD burner to give it a shot.

Again, thanks so much and I'll keep you advised,

Adam

Adriverdolaga
Unregistered guest
Finally...
I COULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM. The solution was as simple as I imagined: I have plugged the 4-4 firewire cable to the "default" IEEE 1394 input of my Sony Vaio, and that was all. I had just made the things more complex adding an extra IEEE 1394, but that was only because of my ignorance about this port.

Thank you very much, Gromit!!

Adriverdolaga

PS: By the way, if anybody needs that IEEE 1394 with its cable, just drop me an e-mail (adrisack@blueyonder.co.uk). Thank you!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Adriverdolaga,

THANK YOU for the update.

Now I understand that you had TWO IEEE1394 devices present in the same PC, it's not surprising you were having problems. Great that you fixed it and yaa-boo-sucks to the sales(?) guy who lead you down this troublesome path in the first place!

Have fun!
PS: by the way, reading back through our exchanges, I can see that I mis-interpreted some of your comments. For example, until your most recent post, I thought you had two PCs, one desktop, one laptop. Apologies if some of my responses were a bit mystifying...

Unregistered guest
I have a GR-D93 connected with a USB to an XP PC. Windows Movie Maker "sees" the camera and does captures but Image MixerV1.7 does not. I don't have this problem with Windows 2000 or ME.

Joyce C
Unregistered guest
I have tried to connect my camera (JVC GR-D33) to my computer using firewire, but the video will not capture to the computer. The preview screen is black when I press the record button. I have tried two different software packages, but both preview screen is black when recording. The computer can control the camera, but nothing records. I am using Windows XP Professional, and I'm wondering if I need additional drivers? I haven't installed any XP service packs yet. Can anybody help me?

Anonymous

I am having trouble with a JVC GR-DVM5 (DV with no memory card slot and no USB) have Firewire PCI card installed (OK, in windows XP device manager) and correct cable used.
Windows fails to recognise the device (not listed in device manager) when plugged in and turned on.
I have searched for the Generic DV camcorder driver to install in XP but cannot find it in Device Manager.
The device is listed in windows support document "Video Camcorders That Are Supported by Drivers That Are Included in Windows XP".
Any ideas exactly what the driver is called and how install it, as it is not installing by "plug and play".
Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Joyce,

Regardless of any problems with video, you should install XP SP2 immediately. Without it, XP is very, very insecure. I hope you are at least behind a router NAT firewall!

I have seen this "black screen when trying to record" problem, but always cleared it by rebooting the (Win98) computer. That, and the fact you have tried two different capture packages, does seem to suggest it may be Windows related. So the SP2 looks like worth installing for that reason too.

Note that there is a small chance that after installing SP2, your PC may fail to recognise the camcorder altogether. In that case, post again and I will give you specific advice for a fix (which should only be attempted by semi-experts).

Let's correspond further after you put SP2 on.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Anonymous,

I can't give you specifics regarding the driver, but I do strongly advise you to get a friend's camera and try connecting that to your PC. The objective of that exercise is to determine whether you do in fact have a problem that is specific to your camcorder model (in which case the search for a driver might be valid), or there is some other system problem that might be fixed another way.

In my experience, all camcorders just plug and play using a generic driver so I am a bit suspicious about your system. You might also want to try connecting YOUR camera to a friend's PC to verify that the camera itself is working (assuming there is no compatibility issue there duplicating your own problem)

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC DR70U. For some reason, any time I've tried to download video (via firewire), I only get about 5 - 15 seconds of video. Regardless of the software, I turn the camera to play, press capture (or record or whatever), the camera/computer begin the transfer, both act like they continue the transfer for X amount of time, but I never actually get more than a few seconds. Anyone else experience this? I've had this happen on two computers running 98 and XP-SP2.

Any help is appreciated.

Unregistered guest
...That was a GR-D70U

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Eric,

I haven't personally experienced the problem you mention, but I am interested in helping you if you would care for some dialogue.

It sounds like you have already gone through some critical debugging exercises, in particular replicating the problem on two independent PCs. By the way, I take it that each computer also has its own firewire card and cable, thereby eliminating any suspicion over that part of the hardware?

I'm also sure you are aware that most capture programmes have a "fixed download time" setting (a bit like getting $10 of petrol by pushing a button on the pump) and it looks obvious that you have discounted this too.

A couple of questions:

1) Does this false transfer keep going for as long as you wish?

2) Can you continue to monitor via a preview screen during the fault condition? Is the video camera still running? (you can also check the viewfinder in the camera of course) Does the preview picture change in any way when the fault condition starts?

3) Does the file size continue to increase at normal rates after the fault kicks in? (1Gbyte is about 5 minutes)

4) When the fault starts, do you see any error message? Do you suddenly start to see dropped frames being reported?

and of course:

5) have you tried another camera on your PCs?

I do have another thread live at the moment where a user is having a somewhat similar problem to yours, so I am quite keen to reach a resolution with your assistance. In the other case, I am suspicious of the camera itself (which is unusual) and I also have the same feeling here.....

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D72U and used many times to trasnfer analog video from VCR, via A/V input and IEEE 1394 output to PC. The problem is that now donīt receive video signal in the A/V input or the S-VIDEO. I hear the audio, but video nothing. I checked the A/V input configuration and is ON, the switch is on play, and checked with other sources of video, like other VCR or DVD player and still nothing. Does anyone can help me to solve this? I don't want to buy a video capture card. Thanks.

Username: Hossman12

Trenton, TN United States

Hello. I recently purchased a JVC GR-D33U mini-DV camcorder. I just bought a DV cable to connect the camera to my computer via the firewire port. I can't get the video from the camcorder to appear on the computer screen. The computer recognizes the camera as a new device. Moreover, the onscreen controls actually operate the camera through the cable. I can play, pause, rewind, etc. I have tried using the Windows Movie Maker that came with the computer, as well as Roxio DVD Builder 7.0, Nero Express and an old version of MGI Videowave. When I really thought I didn't know what I was doing, I got out my old JVC mini-DV camcorder, a GR-DVF21U Cybercam, which only works about half the time, I plugged the same cable into the DV port and everthing worked fine. With the old camera I had on-screen video, capture capability, etc. I have reviewed all of the documentation that came with the camera and tried everthing I can think of, to no avail. Please help with any advice.

Thank you,

Hossman12

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
Jason,

You might be interested to know there is another page on this site which deal specifically with "no video" problems relating to your model:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/116291.html

Several of the correspondents on this page complain that the problem only arose after upgrading to XP SP2. Is that your current OS? If so, then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works. There are other alternative solutions on the sister eCoustics page that might be less scary by the way.

Cheers.

Username: Tammi

S.yorkshire, ? Rotherham

iF Y CAN HELP ME WITH THE ABOVE MESSAGAE PLEASE EMAIL ME ON Gilbatm@AOL.COM

S.yorkshire, ? Rotherham

Post Number: 2
I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE HELP ME IM STUCK

I HAVE A JVC GR-D72U IT ONLY 6 MONTH OLD AND I ONLY JUST GOT MY DRIVERS DISC OUT TO DAY TO DOWNLOAD IT IN TO MY COMP ONLY TO FIND OUT ONE OF MY KIDS HAVE SNAP THE DRIVERS DISC FOR MY JVC
AND I NEED HELP TO GET THE DRIVERS DISC TO DOWNLOAD IT ON TO MY COMP SO I CAN PUT MY VIDEO FROM CAMCORDA TO DVD PLEASE HELP
DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS OR CAN THAY SEND IT ME IN EMAIL HELP ME EMAIL ME TO GilbaTm@AOL.COM

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Tammi,

If you connect your camcorder to your PC using firewire, the chances are that you will not require any additional drivers other than those supplied with Windows. Your PC should recognise your camcorder and display (at minimum) the manufacturer's name in the capture settings box. You can then transfer the video onto your hard disk as a first step to making a DVD.

Give it a try and post again if you are stuck.

Cheers.

S.yorkshire, ? Rotherham

Post Number: 3
i try this gromit and it dont pick it up

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Tammi,

If you are running XP SP2, please refer to this Microsoft patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

If this doesn't work, there are lots of other things to try. Please let me know the outcome.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us