Sorry if its a repeat. Which one? Sony DVD or DV

Username: Deacon022

Post Number: 6
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I am looking at Camcorders. Which is easier to use, the DVD versions or the regular digital. IT seems a little confusing all the problems people are having with the DVD's.
I was also told it is better to get the digital version. You could download it into the computer and still make DVD's. Is this true?
Thanks for all the responses.

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 538
Chris,

Unfortunately, there isn't a completely straightforward answer to your question.

DVD camcorders have the great advantage that you don't necessarily need a wire connection to the PC. Plus, you don't need to install any hardware, plus the PC doesn't have to recognise the camcorder itself when attached. Plus, there is no risk of the interface on the camera getting blown up when you connect it to the PC. But, of course, there is a price to pay.

Firstly, DVD camcorders only record using mpg rather than native digital video. The compression used is much higher, meaning that (although the file sizes are smaller, which is good), you can never get the same quality as you would with DV. If your primary way to view your videos would be to connect the camcorder to the TV, then mini DV is definitely a better bet, i.e. avoid mini-DVD.

Secondly, because mpg video has something called interframe compression, editing it is more unwieldy (and time consuming) the standard DV, where each frame exists in its own right. Balanced against this is the fact that normal DVDs use mpg, and converting large DV file to mpg can take several hours (although it runs as a background task). This conversion normally happens just before you burn the DVD.

So, if high quality TV playback and ease of editing and making regular DVDs on your computer are your objectives, then definitely go for mini DV. Conversely, if you are not looking for perfect quality, don't need to do much editing, and want a very simple experience, then a DVD camcorder might be better for you. Make sure your DVD drive is compatible with the mini disks if you follow this route.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us