Help!!! Older Sharp MiniDV Camcorder Problem

Username: Stevenbharrison

Post Number: 1
I have a Sharp VL RD1U MiniDV Camcorder. It works great; always has. I would now like to transfer my MiniDVD recordings to my computer and burn them to DVDs. However, I cannot find a USB cable that works with the port on the camcorder. I've tried 3 different cables. None fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 445
Steven,

Have you considered using firewire? Firewire is normally a much more satisfactory way to transfer DV to PC.

Firewire cards are very cheap, by the way.

Cheers

Post Number: 2
Not familiar with firewire. But I will check into it. I guess my question will still be about hardware. How do I connect the camera to the computer? Pardon my inexperience, but I have not found cables to fit my camcorder.

Post Number: 3
What a little reading will do. I found my camcorder manual. Seems the port is a firewire port. Now I just have to get a card for my computer. Thanks, Gromit, for pointing me in the right direction.

A bit off subject .... any knowledge of converting an integrated Powerpoint presentation (music, graphics, animation, etc.) to DVD?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 450
Steven

That is one of the most interesting questions I have encountered for a long time. Of course, a set-top DVD player doesn't have a PC OS and apps so it can't play Powerpoint direct. I am sure that your objective is playback on a standard set-top box and TV.

What you could try is the following:

1) Play the presentation on a PC that is equipped with a s-video output (most laptops are).

2) Connect the s-video and audio to an analogue capture card in a different PC. See www.leadtek.com for capture cards.

3) Capture the video and audio and use the resulting .avi file to make a DVD.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us