Cannon ZR 40 and WIndows XP (Dell)

Username: Coolchristina

Yucaipa

Post Number: 3
Hi i posted before about connecting my Camcorder to my pc. I have gotten the DV cable but it doesn't fit into my camcorder I am very new at this. Do i need a another cable or another part for this. I dont know if my computer comes with a firewall. Pls post back if you can help or email me at darkangelofchaos18@yahoo.com

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 323
Christina,

What is the camcorder make and model number? Are you sure it is actually a DV type?

Normally, people say "I have the DV cable but can't see where to plug it into the computer". This is because all DV camcorders have a DV port, but most people need to buy a PCI or PCMCIA card to equip their computer with firewire. These cards normally come with a firewire cable and transfer/editing software.

It may be helpful for you to know that the terms "DV port", "firewire", "IEEE 1394" and "i-Link" are all basically interchangeable.

By the way, the DV port in most camcorders is under a small plastic flap that conceals it when not in use. This is to prevent moisture and dust getting in.

Let me know what happens next!

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Whoops, I suppose the title of your thread gives me a clue about your camcorder model number:

This text: "The ZR40 has IEEE 1394 Firewire in and out for transfering your videos to and from your computer and camcorder plus analog in and outs."

can be found on this page: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/canon_zr40_camcorder_review.htm

So, at least your camcorder is firewire enabled. Now go check that PC!

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Christina,

To answer your private message, the DV cable will not fit into your USB port. You will need to buy a PCI or PCMCIA firewire card to connect your camcorder to your PC. Firewire cards are very cheap (approx $20) and normally come bundled with a cable and video editing software. The editing software is also used for transferring the video to your PC.

Make sure your PC meets the required specification for the firewire card and seek assistance with the installation if you are not experienced in this area.

A tip, make sure that AT LEAST the camcorder and preferably the PC too are switched off when you connect the cable.

Please post again via these pages for further help.

Cheers.

Yucaipa

Post Number: 4
I dont think my computer has the Firewall port and I can but the firewall if needed but i dont know how install the PCI Firewall

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
Christina,

(Firstly, let's just clear up the confusion: the interface to connect your camcorder to your PC is called FIREWIRE. Something that blocks attacks to your PC is called a FIREWALL).

Fitting PCI cards inside a computer is not difficult but is rather daunting to do the first time, especially if you are not nerdy by nature. Can you get one of your friends to help you? Or could the shop fit it for you?

If you do decide to have a go yourslef, this is what you need to know:

TURN OFF YOUR PC, but do not unplug the power cord. Make sure you are not carrying static. Touch something metal that is grounded, for example your PC case. Don't wear shoes or socks while you are doing the job, and keep your feet on the floor. If possible, use a static-grounding wrist strap (I never have and and never had a problem yet)

You will have to undo the screws on (at least) one side of your computer case to get access to the inside of your PC.

Try to avoid dropping anything, but particularly metal things like screws inside your computer. Not only do they get lost easily, but even when the power is off, there is some power from a battery on the motherboard. That means shorts can happen and cause damage.

On your motherboard, you will see a number of white slots, close to, and perpendicular to the back of the computer. One of more of them might already be filled with cards. These are called PCI slots and you'll see that they will fit your new card.

Choose a slot (any one will do, but keeping a gap with other cards as much as possible) to put your new card in. Break off the perforated rear panel blank adjacent to the slot so that you can fit a cable from the outside. Sometimes, you will break off the wrong piece. This is not a disaster.

Take the new card out of its protective cover, and WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ELECTRONICS push it firmly into the white slot. It is keyed so you can't fit it the wrong way round - but it's pretty obvious which way it goes as the connectors obviously go at the back of the PC.

Put the side of your PC back on and turn it on. The new hardware will be installed by XP.

That really is all you have to do. You probably just saved yourself $100, so long as you didn't blow up the PC. Note, there shouldn't be any dangerous voltages inside the PC, even with the power on. The inside is designed to be worked on by nerds and normal people alike. But be careful anyway.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
oh, one more thing, the new card will have a screw to hold it in position. Just look at the other cards already there...

Yucaipa

Post Number: 5
Dear Gromit,
I was wandering if you know if Windows XP comes with software that makes movies. I know that I have Dell Media Experience, Windows Media Player, Dell Jukebox. Oh yeah what kind of screw would i get if it didn't come with the screw.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Christina,

Windows XP comes with MovieMaker, a basic video editing package. That allows you to import video from the camcorder and do basic editing.

To make DVDs, you will need something called a "DVD authoring" software. I use Ulead Moviefactory and find it OK.

Regarding fixing screws, normally the blank panels are fixed in placed with a screw that can be simply transferred to the new card. Plus the card itself may be supplied with a screw. If neither applies you can ask in the computer shop but I guess you will run some risk of double entendre....

Good luck, and don't forget all the precautions to avoid damaging the computer (or yourself). One other thing, I normally lay the computer flat on its side to insert a PCI card. That is easier than trying to plug it in sideways and having the computer escaping across the desk.

Cheers.

Yucaipa

Post Number: 6
OK, thats good. DO i need the authoring
even though I would have Moviemaker. ANd now I want to know how I would remove the case of the computer. Only one sidewill detach.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Christina,

If you want to make DVDs that can be played through a TV, yes, you do need an authoring package.

To fit a PCI card, you only need to remove one side panel. Unless you are very unlucky, the side you can remove will be the correct one. I believe many Dells just have a kind of clip you can press down to release the side panel.

If you are not confident about this, you should get a friend to help you.

Cheers.

Yucaipa

Post Number: 7
I got it in and done. Now i have an itsy bitsy problem when installing the program it wants me to put in the serial number but i dont know it. I got the card and all on ebay from Inside computers. The CD has ULead Video

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
Christina,

Congrats!

I suggest you email the vendor regarding the Ulead serial number.

Cheers.

Yucaipa

Post Number: 8
Thanks, and I have the phone number. Hopefully the store will know it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us