Capturing from Sony DVD 403/653 to Pinnacle

Wameri
Unregistered guest
Hi All,
Just acquired a Sony 403 / 653 DVD camcorder.
How do I cupture to Pinnacle 9 for editing cos its like Pinnacle only supports Firewire and not USB?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3188
What else is there that you do not understand? If Pinnacle only supports firewire, that's it. You need firewire to transfer your videos to PC and NOT USB. USB is not recommended for video transfers, the quality is really poor.

Wameri
Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny. The problem is that the camcorder only has a USB output. There is also A/V out for connecting to a tv. How then do i go round this?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3194
Aha, the old A/V analog output dilemma.

You will need to get a video capture card for your PC.

What I don't understand is why you would want to do something like this when the camera records directly to the disc and you can just download the video from the disc onto you computer's hard drive for editing.

You will lose a lot of quality on your video if you go from the camcorder to PC instead of using the discs.

Username: Pferry

Post Number: 2
Sorry too but in on the post but I am having the same problem. I have a Sony DVD203 and can only get video when I transfer from USB to PC using Pinnacle 8. IO tried Sony Vegas and also could only get video. However I used TMPGEnc and was able to get audio and video but it seems lack the menu templates the others have. Do you know of any DVD authoring oprograms similiar to TMPGEnc that are a bit better?

PS I didn't notice much difference if any, from USB to PC than the actual mini DVD itself

Thanks

Username: Viniv

Post Number: 1
Berny thanks alot for all the help here i've just joined and you helping is much appreciated.

May I ask you how to go about tranferring the data on the DVD to the PC? is this done with the software that comes with the camera? or can it be done another way?

Thankyou very much for taking the time .

Vince

Anonymous

The Sony techs don't help. They don't seem to know either. Nor did techs at Comp USA. The 403 DVD file format is not recognized by any formerly used Sony or other recent programs on my eight month old high end Sony Multimedia computer. They tell me the Picture Package program that comes with the camera has features which neither show on the menu nor are mentioned on the software producers website for 1.8!!! This is a nightmare. Until Sony have proper software to be able to use filmed content in common popular programs like Pinnacle Studio 9 instead of the joke of a program they provide which does little and none of tasks I expected from using other Sony programs, they should take this camera off the market and offer frustrated users another option. What is the use of taking footage if you can't process it? Salesman lied about this camera having an i link. I have ALL Sony equipment and am out a lot of money for this highly disappointing product. This is my fourth Sony camcorder and the "surround sound" even indoors in an ideal environment is worse than my camera from 15 years ago. Sony ought to support their customers or disclose up front how useless this camera is with all it's surprising, even shocking, limitations. And train salespeople. I asked the right questions. None of the promotional material mentioned any of this issue. If there is a solution I would like to not have wasted a vast excess of my hard earned money for all the deficiences, but a week of reasearch and frustration has yielded nothing. Please if ANYONE can help I would be very grateful!!!I simply wish to use Studio 9 to edit my video and convert individual frames of video to email, like I used to do with DV Gate. I would love to solve the problem. Otherwise I would like to participate in confronting Sony. There is no way to transfer this footage to my old DV Sony camcorder either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us