Steps to transfer video from handycam to PC via USB

Anonymous

Hi everybody!

If anyone interested to know how to capture video from sony dcr-hc40 handycam to pc via USB using windows movie maker, pls see:

Steps to transfer video from Sony HC40E Handycam to PC

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 115
Anonymous, thanks for the tip! I just have one comment: anybody who is interested in making home DVDs would probably be less than 100% satisfied with the pixel resolutions mentioned as achievable through this method.

If you uncover a way to reliably transfer full DV quality via USB, let us know!

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I captured video thru my USB from my Panasonic DV Palmcorder (PV-GS14) into windows movie maker, but the picture quality isn't very good! It looks ok when playing it back on Media Player, but my end goal is to burn it on a DVD and I want the highest picture quality to the original that I can get. I'm new to all this..so a stupid question here...Are IEEE1394 cables all 4 pin to 4pin? My new Dell computer does not have a 4pin port, just USB ports. Any idea how I can transfer the video so the picture quality is not lost on my end product?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
skijumpmom,

Normally, the firewire cable that connects PCs to DV cams has 6 pins at the PC end (larger connector) and 4 pins at the DV cam end (smaller connector). On laptops, the PC connector may also be the smaller type (presumably to save space). In the former case, you need a 6 pin to 4 pin cable, and in the latter, a 4 pin to 4 pin cable (obviously). Both are readily available and are normally supplied with the firewire card. In both cases, only a single port is required on the computer to connect the DV cam. Firewire PCI cards commonly have multiple firewire ports, but if (like me) you only ever connect one device, the other ports will never do anything other than gather dust.

If you transfer digital video using firewire, you should expect perfect quality (i.e. identical to what you originally shot) and exactly the same length of video. What's more, it should transfer in real time, i.e. a 60 minute tape should take 60 minutes to transfer - using up more than 10G of disk space, by the way. I normally only transfer 10 minute chunks at a time to be conservative as it is a bit frustrating to be 90% through a massive upload only to run out of disk space or encounter some other problem.

Hope that helps.

Thanos
Unregistered guest
Check out this http://www.uttam.info/video/handycam/usb_video_transfer.php

Basically, use Windows Movie Maker to capture.

Thanos

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Thanos,

Thanks for posting that link - it's a very nice page. Do note, however, that the resolution using this technique is limited. For users who want to burn DVDs, I'll certainly recommend transferring DV in native quality using firewire.

Cheers.

Wameri
Unregistered guest
Hi. Just when I thought I had found it...The link takes me nowhere. Kindly redirect or give us the correct link. Thanks in advance

Wameri
Unregistered guest
Hi. Just when I thought I had found it...The link takes me nowhere. Kindly redirect or give us the correct link. Thanks in advance

Username: Photoman

Post Number: 1
I AM USING SONY HANDYCAM MODEL DHC-HR-42.

WHEN I COPY MOVIES FROM MINI DV TAPE TO MY PC, THE CAPTURED MOVIE SHOWS LOT OF JERKS. BUT WHILE SEEING IN 'USB STREAMING TOOL' WINDOW , THE MOVIE RUNS PERFECTLY OK.

MY PC IS WITH WINDOWS 98, 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, 4MB VID RAM.

PL GUIDE AND EDUCATE ME, HOW TO DO THE COPYING OF MOVIE TO PC.

Username: Photoman

Post Number: 2
I AM USING USB CABLE TO COPY THE MOVIE TO PC, USING PICTURE PACKAGE SOFTWARE OF SONY

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
c.suresh,

I am very tempted to advise "Find some cooler people to aim your camcorder at" ;-) but as yours is a serious question, instead I'll ask:

What speed is your processor (and memory)?

It is very possible that you are stretching your PC to its limits, and dropping information during the transfer. Mine is running (overclocked) at 750 MHz and that is JUST enough for firewire transfer.

Streaming is much less CPU intensive because the window size and quality is much less. That is probably why you don't see any problems with streaming.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
i have a panasonic dv palmcorder (PV-GS15) and my dv cable fits my camcorder but does not fit my dell dimension dim3000 where would i get one that fits?

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
Jacques,

I think you are trying to solve the wrong problem here. Rather than getting a cable to fit your Dimension 3000, I would recommend getting a PCI firewire card that will fit your cable! They are inexpensive and come bundled with software to transfer video to your PC. You'll probably also get another cable as well so now you will have a spare.....

Hope that helps.

CJB
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DCRHC-21 Handycam, and am trying to transfer some videos I took to my PC via a IEEE-1394 Firewire cable (into Movie Maker 2), but I can't seem to figure it out. Every time I try to transfer it to my PC (capture from video device), it transfers jumpy and if I try to see it Full Screen, the quality is aweful. (I transfered at 2.1 Mbps even!) Am I missing something (settings for example?)? What am I doing wrong, or is it possible?? Also, can I transfer it to a DVD that a normal DVD player can play and get the same quality I see on the cameras screen??? If anyone could help I would be MUCH abliged!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
CJB,

What is your PC spec (procesor, HDD)?

Is your capture programme telling you that frames are being dropped?

It should be possible to get near-DVD quality. Just check out the two above questions and we'll take it from there.

Cheers.
PS: your initials are the same as mine!

CJB
Unregistered guest
Hey, THANX for your willingness to help! (sweet initials)

I found out, that my PC has a 1.67 GHz Athlon Processor, and a 40 GB Barracuda ATA Hard Drive (which runs at 7200 rpms). As far as if frame are being dropped, I have no idea. I'm using Windows Movie Maker 2, and have set the capture rate at 2.1 Mbps (the highest I saw) with 30 frames per second, and somewhere around 720x540 pixels. It was very jumpy and poor quailty. Do you think there are higher settings I am missing?

The other thing I wonder is, are there settings on my DCRHC-21 Sony Handycam that I am missing (it came with a useless program, horrible directions, and little info, so I could be missing a lot.)

I am also concidering buying Pinnacle Studios 9. I've heard it is great.

Thanx again and I hope we can work it out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
CJB,

Your PC is twice as fast as mine and I can capture DV without frame loss. But, DV transfer rate is 25 Mbit/s, not 2.1 Mbit/s. Either the speed showing in your programme is 2.1 MBytes/s or something is badly wrong. The frame size you mention is correct for DV with full quality.

You could perhaps try downloading a copy of Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio VideoWave and try to transfer using that. Both programmes should give you a moment by moment display of the total number of frames dropped.

By the way, I take it you are in a country (such as USA) that uses NTSC? This is to confirm that the 30 frames per second you are trying to capture is correct.

Keep in touch!

CJB
Unregistered guest
Ok Gromit, this is really starting to help me understand. (and yes I am in the USA... are you?)

I went and double-checked, and in Windows Movie Maker 2 the highest transfer rate says 2.1 Mbps... I assume this means 2.1 Mbits/s so that would explain why the quality was so poor.

I am getting Pinnacle Studio 9, and hope this will help.

Anything else I should know?

I'll see how Pinnacle works and let you know if the problem is fixed. My continued gratitude!

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
CJB,

You're most welcome!

Actually, I am in Australia (Britsh ex-pat) and am a keen supporter of PAL rather than NTSC.

Pinnacle has a great reputation, although I don't use it myself.

Just make sure your files are coming in as .avi (you may need to select "DV") and that the resultant file size increases at a rate of 12G per hour. Also, keep an eye on the "dropped frames" counter.

If all that is OK and your quality is still poor, then you have a different problem.

Cheers

CJB
Unregistered guest
Gromit,

(Who'd have thought someone from Colorado and one from Australia could communicate so easily....This is amazing!)

I did get Pinnacle Studio 9, and it captures my videos with the same quality they are on my camera! In a 5-6 minute capture, it dropped about 350 frames. I turnned off the preview while capturing, and the # of dropped frames went down to about 200. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

Also, it takes up SOOO much room! Can converting it to MPEG allow for the same quality but less memory, and will I be able to play it on a standard DVD player too (full screen)? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
CJB,

Re frame dropping:

1) In Device Manager, click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" then click on the IDE channel where your HDD is located. Click the "Advanced" tab and make sure "DMA if available" is selected.

2) If your motherboard is supplied with a CD called "Chipset Utilities" or similar, run the programme. You may find massive improvements in real-time handling.

3) Use an OLD version of capture software that is less ambitious in what it is trying to do. For example, I can capture OK with Videowave III but not Ulead VideoStudio 6.

4) Disable the indexing service (the "findfast.exe" application). If that starts during capture, it will likely just completely jam.

5) Right click and close all apps in the System Tray. I even disable my firewall (Zone Alarm) AFTER disconnecting the computer from the internet

When you have done all this, run the system performance monitor during capture and check that your CPU utilisation is steady below 90%

Re file size:

The DV you capture will occupy about 12G per hour on your HDD. When you make a DVD, the MPEG files that are produced as part of this process will shrink the required space by about 75%. Then you can delete the massive .avi files from your HDD. Once you have finished making copies of the DVD, you can also delete the working files created during DVD production (find them using "find file" greater than 30000 KB), restoring all the original free space on your HDD

Hope that helps.

Anonymous

I do have a digital video camera JVC cuv501u but I do not know how to transfer from my camcorder to my toshiba laptop computer, it has an usb port and it doesn't read the JVC camera. Would you please let me know?

anonymous

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
Anonymous,

Have you considered using firewire? Check around these pages for ideas or look at www.videohelp.com for detailed guides.

Cheers.

rms
Unregistered guest
I'm using a pentium 2 ME edition with 450 mgz i upload it to xp to transper video from my jvc gr-d250u and icould not get anything , i already installer firewire ieee 1394

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
rms,

Your computer is under-spec to transfer video. You need at least 700 MHz processor.

Cheers.

Anonymous

I HAVE ONE SONY HANDYCAM DCR-HC20E, PLEASE EDUCATE ME HOW TO TRANSFER MOVIE TO MY COMPUTER

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
Anonymous,

I'll recommend using firewire for this. Check around these pages for ideas or look at www.videohelp.com for detailed "how to" guides.

Cheers.

Username: Lsaver

WabashUsa

I have a Sony-Dcr-DVD201 I have several problems with it, but recently I took some basic pictures and tried going thru imagemaker 1.5 so that I could put them on my pc and it comes up as "no supported files on disk" why is that, I haven't changed anything I don't think.

Username: Stevie_g

Milwaukee, WI USA

I just bought a used Sony handycam (CHEAP)that won't play minidv's recorded on my (now busted)Sony TRV11. When loading movies, it says I can't mix 25 frames per second with those captured at 27 frames per second. I thought minidv was minidv regardless of the camera.

Are these two cameras compatable AND will I notice a difference in quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
Steve,

Check very carefully to see whether one of your cameras is NTSC, and the other one PAL. If that is the case, you certainly won't be able to play tapes on one that were recorded on the other.

Cheers.
PS: PAL is 25 frames per second, NTSC is 29.97

Unregistered guest
Gromit,i should say you have got real good knowledge and info on Video.If you do not mind ca you let me know some good links which can enhance my knowledge on these Video Related topics in conjunction with the systems performance.I would appreciate your help in the same.

Unregistered guest
We are having sony Handycam TRV355E. Our Computer configuration is windows Microsoft XP system with intel P4 having 256 MB of Ram and 40 GB HDD. We are having following two querries

1) For making video cd using image mixer ver 1.5 for sony as per your manual using easy video cd option we are unable to write to do cd. While writing to cd the cd drive is getting ejected automatically. Till writing the software is performing all procedures properly at the time of writing to cd only the cd drive is getting ejected. Our sytem is built with CD - RW / DVD - R option. Please let us advise how to overcome this problem.

2) While viewing pictures recorded on a tape from the camcorder on computer using usb stream and image and image mixer ver 1.5 for sony we are unable to get the sound and unable to copy the sound while capturing moving pictuers. But we are having sound card in our system (we are able to hear when using other movie cd's). Please let us advise about this querry.

Kindly reply us at the earliest.

Username: Max945

Post Number: 4
Help- I am trying to convert my VHS-C tapes to DVD using my Dell PC. Can I pass the analog video thru my JVC GR-D270 and into my PC thru Firewire or do I have to use a source like "Aver Media DVD EZMaker 2.0 USB? (see here : http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/videocapture/ezmakerusb2.0/ezmakerusb2.0.sh tml
Thanks for any help!!

Unregistered guest
I am fed up with my sony camcorder DCR-HC-42/E I HAVE BROUGHT THIS AND HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IT FOR DAYS TO TRANSFER ITS MOVIE VIA USB TO MY PC. IAM LIVING IN INDIA I DONT WANT TO BUY FIREWIRE OR THAT IEEE1394 I HAVE READ ALL FORUM MESSAGES CONCERNING TO THIS AND THE CONCLUSION I HAVE COME TO IS THAT FIREWIRE IS THE CHOICE. CAN ANYONE REALLY HELP ME IF HE CAN TELL METHOD FOR USB TRANSFER WITHOUT EVEN 0.1% LOSS IN QUALITY..............OR IS IT THAT USB IS RUBBISH AND VIDEO CANNOT BE TRANSFERED THROUGH IT.

let_sony_rot_in_hell
Unregistered guest
Sony made the most anoying product ever.

I bought HC42E and the USB Streaming tool simply
woun't work.It just reports an error and closes down.

I've tried finding additional drivers, searched forums, reinstalled, updated several patches and nothing works.

This with WMM works but to hell with it, I bought
a handycam with a software and expect it to work.

I have already spent several days of my valuable time.

I am so mad.Uargh.

Unregistered guest
Hi let_sony_rot_in_hell...

I know u are pissed off but that is the same feeling when I first bought the MiniDV. I walked from one one PC Shops to another and asked them the same question... how to burn the DV. There are all diff ways, techniques etc.. there are even prices up to 2K. In the end.... I just gamble. I bought the firewire card (abt RM90-100), the firewire cable (RM30-50), got back and installed thse items... and what do you know. I maneged to transfer the MiniDV and burned it.
As for the transfer, u must have a cd burner and nero burn software (comes together with the cd burner hardware).
Use Nero to transfer the data. Then use Window Movie Maker to do editing. Import the movie you have already transfered using Nero, at the end of editing, select "save to my computer", select "High quality video (NTSC)" and "NEXT". This will transer the movie to the computer (normally will take about 200 minutes). Once completed, Use Nero to burn it to VCD. Add movie, then folow through the other information. Once done... then you'll see your "own production" masterpiece.
Hope this help....

Unregistered guest
I have a sony trv 22 handycam. The software (Image Transfer...I guess)that came alongwith the cam for transfering video on tape to pc using USB is lost. Is there anyway to get the software through internet. I tried google but could not find. Pls help.

Username: Aaknight53

Hi, I've read all posts regarding video transfers with USB. My son is looking to buy a mini DV camcorder, has a laptop with USB 2 and 3 ports, but no firewire. Should he get a firewire card (which someone would have to install for him) or is there a camcorder out there that can handle video transfer with USB 2 or 3 connection? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5010
Have a firewire card installed. A lot less hassle.

Username: Dagr80ne

Is there a way to transfer a movie from my Camcorder to the PC faster than firewire?

Firewire is good but too slow

Gold Member

Post Number: 7106
Not yet.

Username: Mpool

I have a Canon mini dv recorder. I am trying to transfer video to my hp computer via usb 1.1. The computer will not recognize the camera in order to transfer data. Does anyone have an idea besides converting to firewire which I would have to purchase?
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 7319
None. You have to purchase firewire. Your PC has to be able to handle a firewire port. Your camcorder has to have a DV output. If nothing else, you can transfer directly to a stand alone DVD recorder. Less hassles and extremely convenient. If you want to edit using the PC, you can always copy the footage from the recorded DVD to your PC's hard drive and go from there.

Username: Generalesquire

Can someone please help me with putting my videos onto my PC for editing and then DVD format?

Specifically, I need to improve image quality.

Some background:

--I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC40. Which seems to have great video quality when I plug the camcorder directly into my TV or VCR. I have lots of footage.

--My computer: a custom built 1.8 GHz processor with a 75 gig hard drive and if I remember, 512 RAM. DVD and CD burner, zip drive, a drive, etc. Windows XP. 6 USB ports.

--My just installed firewire: Belkin Firewire 3-Port PCI card. 400Mbps. 6-pin to 4-pin cable included

--My software: Sony stuff that was included was junk. Still have it installed, but now using Pinnacle Studio SE Version 7.15.1

THE PROBLEM:

Tried transfering using USB which was awful. Took forever, quality horrible.

Now, I'm using my new firewire and the quality has *very* much improved but it's still not that great--especially when compared to the original playing off the tape. And at least not the quality where I'd want to take time transfering, edit it, burn it onto DVD, and show it to the world.

I don't seem to be getting any dropped frames or things like that, but if you could let me know how to improve quality, it would be much appreciated.

Am I missing something, or is the quality not supposed to be DVD quality, or at least as good as the original?

thank you again.

Username: Cameramansam

Castel, Montana Guernsey and...

I got a camera last friday HandyCam DCR-TRV140E and it didnt come with software. does anyone know where i can get upload software for it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7744
Did you buy it used?

Username: Venuiyer

Cochin, Kerala India

I have a sony DCR hc40.when i am shooting video or still image i am not seeing the date and time in both the shots.i have already set the date and time correctly in the Time/Language menu.can anyone pls help me...

Username: Damu39

Can anybody give me good suggestion? I have a sony Video Camera Model DCR-TRV140E PAL. Can anybody suggest the way to transfer the recorded videos to my pc by using USB to get MPEG files? what I have to do? please help.

One more problem. I am using now HONESTECH CAMERAPLUS VIDEO RECORDER to copy the files to PC for editing. But i have got a serious problem that the pictures can be recorded. The sound is not getting recorded. Moreover picture quality is also very poor.

For editing purpose, I am using ULLEAD STUDIO 7. Any other recommended software?
Any suggestion or solution?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8610
How about trying to read the posts that are on this thread?

It has already been suggested time and again not to use USB to transfer movies.

Username: Damu39

Dear Mr. GROMIT,

I will be grateful if you can clear my problems.
Before, I was recording the movies from my SONY
DCR TRV-140 Digital vedio to my PC via USB, thru
HONESTREK CAMERA PLUS Video Recorder which comes with the Webcam. Everything was ok, and after that I was editing it thru UL LEAD STUDIO 7.

But Now-a-days, I am getting a problem while recording. Only Video is appearing in the screen without AUDIO. You can easily find out the problem. I will give you the details given below.

Instead of recording thru CAMERA PLUS, I tried to record in UL LEAD VIDEO CAPTURE & WINDOW MOVIE MAKER. In both the places while recording, the video screen is appearing, BUT NO AUDIO.

Where as when I play in my Vedio Cameria, Vedio & Audio is very clear in the Mini screen of the Vedio camera. When I record thru USB, I am getting the Vedio and not the audio.

One more case. Before, I copied some movies thru the same USB for editing. At that time, there was VEDIO & AUDIO. But when I play those pre-recorded ones, now it is playing without AUDIO.

As others, like WINDOW MEDIA PLAYER, REAL PLAYERS are perfectly working with me with great
audio quality. I am also getting successful by using the MICROPHONE while Yahoo conferencing.

Dear Gromit, how can I fix this audio problem? Is it because of the USB, I am ready to follow your instructions.

If I use FIREWIRE 1394A, will the problem will be solved? Can I use UL LEAD EDITING SOFTWARE for the captured Video thru FIREWIRE 1394?

Appreciate your valuable comments on this.

With love.
DAModaran.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8640
damodaran,
Are you stubborn? Or do you just refuse to believe that USB will cause problems when being used to transfer videos from a camcorder? If you even took the time to rid the various threads on this forum regarding transfer of data, you will come to the conclusion that you need to use firewire. Even from Gromit. For some bizarre reason you insist on using USB.

USB will not transfer AUDIO AND VIDEO at the same time!

Username: Folksid

please help me.
i have sony dcr-trv22e handycam.
i want to transfer video from my handycam to pc using firewire cable. the device already recognized by the computer but, when i open windows movie maker or ulead video studio to capture the video, the computer become hang.
can somebody help me to solve this problem. thanx

Gold Member

Post Number: 9028
What is your OS and how much RAM do you have?

Proc : P4 2.4c
sdram : 256Mb corsair pc 3200
HDD : 160 Gb WDC SATA

i've tried to capture video using usb streaming with windows movie maker, and it's work. but when i plugging in firewire cable, the computer is stop responding until i unplugged the firewire cable or i turning off the handycam.

Post Number: 3
Proc : P4 2.4c
sdram : 256Mb corsair pc 3200
HDD : 160 Gb WDC SATA

i've tried to capture video using usb streaming with windows movie maker, and it's work. but when i plugging in firewire cable, the computer is stop responding until i unplugged the firewire cable or i turning off the handycam.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9030
You need to increase your RAM to at least 1 gig. You are hanging because you just increased the flow of information to your PC and your RAM cannot handle it.

i'd tried to increase my ram until 1 gigs. but it doesn't give significant change. windows movie maker very slow while detecting the handycam. when i choose Capture the entire tape automatically. windows movie maker warn that there is no dv cassete in my handycam.i'd tried to turn off my firewall. but i think it have no effect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9061
When did you change your RAM?

And what do you mean by very slow while detecting the handycam?

Post Number: 5
last night.

when connecting handycam to pc, mouse cursor become wait. it takes long time until the windows movie maker dialog box appear.

Bronze Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 14
This work the same on windows xp 64bit?

Bronze Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 15
I seem to have alot of problems with getting things to work on this system.

Username: Trouble

Hi all,

I have just purchased a sony DCR-HC94 and as all the above already wrote I cannot recreate the quality shown onmy DV camera once I have transferred it via my USB connection. Would it be wise to get a firewire card or is there another way to get this resolution transferred to DVD?

Any help welcome

Gold Member

Post Number: 9200
How many times have you read to use firewire as opposed to USB?

Indeed I have many times but I am also thinking of other options that could have been provided like external DVD recorder with video input. Would that be a lot better then doing it via firewire?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9222
An external DVD recorder is a much better option

Username: Mazher_khan_mk

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh India

Hi,

I am almost Fed Up of trying to transfer from my Sony DCR - TRV140E to my PC. I am using Sony Image Pixela Mixer to transfer the Video but it is storing in a form of Clips but not into a form of complete mpeg file. Pls Help me in this situation because i am tired of purchasing a Handy Cam Cassette everytime i need to shoot. Pls give me the steps to transfer the Video from my Handy CAM to my PC through USB. I would be waiting for u sooner reply.

Regards,

Mazher

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10131
Are you daft?

Haven't you been reading the thread?

Do not use USB to transfer video.

USE FIREWIRE!

Username: Umi

Hey berny - will u smash my head if ask you how to make a vcd from camcorder using USB????? sorry buddy - just teasing...i actually read all the msgs in the thread and definitely have figured one thing: USE FIREWIRE! my knowledge is limited. I will buy a 4P to 4P firewire and then transfer it to my hard-drive and then to a DVD. Does it sound rite?

After purchasing a F-Wire card the resolution got a lot better, cannot say I am really happy with it but I guess its the best I will get on PC. Max res is 720*480?(wide screen anyway). On another note I would say that F-Wire gives you a lot more fuctionality then USB ever did and I do not have to touch my CAM anymore, all works from my PC. I am still always looking for a higher res, so if anybody ever has some useful tips let us know.

Ciao

Username: Raphaelfreeman

JerusalemIsrael

what software are you using to transfer the video via firewire?

Username: Ohjoyoffire

Hi, I have a Panasonic MiniDV camcorder PV-GS14, and I do not have a firewire port. Instead, I use the USB, but when I hook up the camcorder to the computer and go to capturing video on Windows Movie maker, I get a black screen. What do I do? And the lens cap is off.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10549
What have you read about USB transfers on this thread so far?

Username: Soumi_cadbury_bytes

i dont know how to connect my sony dcr-trv16e handycam through usb cable.my system specifications;windows xp pro sp2,256mb memory,30gb hds.
handycam model dcr-trv16e.
i dont know what is firewire fort.my system device manager shows ieee 1394 working properly.but i dont know where is firewire port?i can use usb cable 2 connect my handycam 2 pc,there is no usb dedection msg.anybody quide me step by step?

Username: Mitesh

Hi,

Do anyone have the software of Imagemixer or similar to transfer the video from handycam to pc.

Username: Raphaelfreeman

JerusalemIsrael

I have to laugh when I read this forum since everyone is asking the same thing. It occurred to me that perhaps the people asking the same question over and over don't understand what USB and Firewire is so I'll attempt to explain.

Basically when purchasing a product such as a camcorder that not only comes with a USB cable but with USB software, one would assume that it would work. Well it seems that Sony kinda screwed up. So the first thing to do is to take the USB disks and throw them away and put the USB cable somewhere safe in case you may have some other use for them.

Now that you realise that you can't transfer the video from your camcorder using the USB technology, you now need to find some other way of transferring the video. The solution is something called Firewire. Unfortunately, although the camcorder has a little Firewire port (technical term = hole), you will still need a port on your computer and a cable. Newer computers may have this already, otherwise you are going to have to go to your computer shop to get a Firewire card installed into your machine. (I was lucky, my sound card had a firewire port). If you have a desktop machine this will be relatively cheap. Whilst you are at the shop, you will also need to buy yourself a cable that connects from the Firewire port on your camcorder and your new Firewire port on your PC. Again, the cable is relatively cheap. This cable is of course the Firewire cable. Once you have connected these pieces, you will have now physically connected your camcorder to your PC via Firewire.

Now you will need to make the transfer. A good way of starting which will give you very acceptable results is simply to plug in the camera and let Windows XP do the rest. Windows will recognise your Sony camera and ask if you want to transfer the video using Windows Movie Maker. Say yes and follow the step choosing at this stage all the default settings.

Windows Movie Maker will allow to add titles, transition effects etc and at the end save the file as a .wmv file. Of course .wmv isn't very useful, but hey this is a free program! You will be able to watch them on your PC though.

If you want to watch on your TV, then I would suggest buying a DivX player. This is a DVD player that can play back files in the .avi format that have been converted using a technology called DivX or Xvid. I know that in Israel and the UK they can be as cheap as $60. Then you will need a piece of software such as WinAviVideoConverter 7.7 that will convert your .wmv file to a .avi file.

Finally you need to burn your .avi compilation to a DVD. The most popular application for this and well worth the money is Nero.

I hope these steps are straightforward and I know that it's a bit odd that Sony should supply both a cable and software that simply doesn't work. But once you've got your head around the fact that you have a useless cable and you're going to have spend money on: a) a Firewire port, b) a Firewire cable, c) WinAviConverter d) a divx player for your TV (you can of course play regular DVDs etc on it) e) Nero, then you're on the way to making some cool videos.

BTW if you were wondering how to share this video on the net, I use www.phanfare.com for uploading both pictures and video (up to 10 minute clips). Yes that costs money too I'm afraid, but it's not too expensive.

Enjoy!

Username: Dr_ravibansal

hello everyone

i have dell 710m laptop with a 4 pin firewire, and sony handycam trv 22e, when i conect the 2 with a firewire coneecting wire my laptop doesnot detect any cam. kindly advise the possible problems. do i need any special software on laptop to enable it to detect the cam. if so where to get it. windows xp OS, 512 ram 1.7 pentium M.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us