Why do i keep dropping frames?

Username: Saku

Victoria , BC Canada

Post Number: 10
Hey,
I Just recently purchased my new Panasonic PvGs-120 mini DV camcorder, when i try to transfer my tape to my pc it keeps dropping frames. IM currently using Adobe Premier Pro 7 and windows movie maker. In premier it will give me an error saying "error in recording frames were dropped". Then when i try to watch the video its all choppy even after iv rendered it. As for windows movie maker, I made the video for pc playback whick is 2.1mb per minute as opposed to 178mb per minute (which is for playback on a TV._ I figuered a lesser quality video would be easier to transer for my pc( I was hopping it would not drop frames). But anyway I transfered all 60 mins of footage to my pc but the final lenght of the video is only 41 mins and again its choppy. Iv tried other cameras and it does the same thing so i know its not my camera.

Im filming on SP because a friend told me if i use EP it sometimes will drop frames.

my computer is a Dell dimention 2400 2.4 Ghz and i have 1GB or pc2700 ram
Iv tried defragging running adware remover programs and just shutting down all running programs i dont need.
My Pc did not come with a built in firewire port so i bought a $30 card and cable.

I have no idea what to try next so if somebody has any suggestions that would be very much apperciated.
Thanks alot
colby

Username: Tirisias

Franklinville, Nj U.S.

Post Number: 1
same Question

vel
Unregistered guest
I have the same Panasonic PVGS 120. I bought a firewire card, it came with Ulead Video Studio 5. It worked fine.
I downloaded trial version of Ulead Video Studio 9(http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm). With this I created DVD. It is awesome. Converting to DVD format is way too slow.

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 319
Just noticed this thread. For frame-dropping, here are two things to try.

1) In Device Manager, click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" then click on the IDE channel where your HDD is located. Click the "Advanced" tab and make sure "DMA if available" is selected.

2) If your motherboard is supplied with a CD called "Chipset Utilities" or similar, run the programme. You may find massive improvements in real-time handling.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 320
Oh, here are a few more things I did to eliminate frame dropping:

3) Use an OLD version of capture software that is less ambitious in what it is trying to do. For example, I can capture OK with Videowave III but not Ulead VideoStudio 6.

4) Disable the indexing service (the "findfast.exe" application). If that starts during capture, it will likely just completely jam.

5) Right click and close all apps in the System Tray. I even disable my firewall (Zone Alarm) AFTER disconnecting the computer from the internet

When you have done all this, run the system performance monitor during capture and check that your CPU utilisation is steady below 90%.

Cheers.

Username: Investig8or1

Post Number: 1
I was dropping a lot of frames when capturing directly to my external (usb) hard drive. Switched to the internal drive and stopped dropping the frames.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us