I got poor quality of digital8 transferred to pc and back to vcd. Pls help!!!

Username: Mista_weyt_lift

Post Number: 3
i have shot video of my son's school play using sony digital8 video that i've borrowed to my friend. I transferred it to my computer via firewire edited it using windows movie maker and created vcd copy via nero. When i played it to my vcd player the quality is so poor unlike the original. I got a broadcast quality. Is this normal? I thought Digital8 camcorders will not lost its quality if transfered it to computer and into vcd. Im planning to buy a mini dvcam but im thinking the quality of the results will be the same that i got in digital8 since they are both digital with firewire Pls help me....
Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 16
Hi there,

Your problem is probably due to the fact that you are using VCD as your playback medium. VCD quality is very limited. Even if you use DV cam and make a VCD, the quality will be low. Try using a DVD burner and DVD authoring package - I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.

Cheers

Username: Mista_weyt_lift

Post Number: 5
thanks for your comments. But i'm wondering why are some professional movies like in films does have a good quality even if in VCD formats. I've watch a lot of good movies recorded in VCD and i longed to make something like that also. What's their secrets? I do some video coverage service to others as my extra source of income and most of them do not have DVD player yet only VCD and also I have to make it in VCD coz my laptop had only CD writer into it.

Thaks.....

Bronze Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 25
This is not an area where I have a lot of expertise, to be honest. Things I can think of are:

1) It's possible that professional movie studios are undertaking some kind of pre-processing prior to transposing the material into MPEG-1. Remember, VCD has a fixed bandwidth, so the more the picture is changing, the more blurry/pixillated it will look.

2) Is it possible these studios are using SVCD? Look here for more info: http://www.videohelp.com/vcd

By the way, my own efforts to make VCDs have only given indifferent results, so I know what you are talking about. If you find any magic answers, let me know!

Cheers

kuchkuch
Unregistered guest
using a good encoder like cce sp or tmpgenc to encode your movie into mpeg-1 stream at variable bit rates may solve the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us