Archive through August 25, 2004

Anonymous
What software do I need?

I have a Canon Elura 50 and it said I need optional software to do this.

Also, what kind of cable do I need to use to connect to my computer? Sorry if none of what I said makes sense but I have absolutely no clue

Derek
You need a firewire connection on your computer and a firewire cable. You can download Windows Movie Maker II from Microsoft for free or purchase Ulead or Pinacle Systems software.

i need help guy
ok i never post here before but i have an old ricoh r831 camcorder(i now its real old)but im trying to get it to work and ever time i try to see what i recored it is beeping and giving me a symbol that has a trangle with a line under it. if someone can help me plz.

anonymous
I have an RCA 250X Mini DVD (steady pix) and would like to know what to do to Send the movie or pix to family/friends.

Gary Akrish
I have a dv camera. I have a firewire card in
my computer and a cable attached between them.
How do I transfer the data from the tape to the
computer? Step by step instructions please.

Thanks.

D
gary, u need software. Pinacle works well.

Derek
Microsoft Movie Maker II is free. Ulead also makes good (inexpensive) software.

Hi!
I have a panasonic pv70 camcorder. How do i transfer data from a recorded tape to my computer? The connection i have is a usb cable, and i´ve tried with windows movie maker 2 as softwear. It seems all that can be recorded is when the camcorder is used as a webcamera. What shall i do???

Derek
You need a firewire connection/card on your computer and a firewire cable. The USB connector is only for downloading short video clips and for webcam use on some Sony DV camcorders.

HI again!
I have a firewire connection to my computer but does the camera have it?(panasonic pv 70)I have a firewire cable but it doesn´t seem to fit anywhere in the camera. There is a connection for usb, remote mic and phones. Help!

jeffrey
All,
You need a firewire cable and firewire port (either on a capture card or built-in on the motherboard). Of course, your camera must have firewire conection. If not, you may borrow your friends cam that has this port and put your tape in it for the capturing.

My question: How to transfer DV from camcorder to HDD without "DV compression"? I mean without capturing (and compression) but just raw transferring?

Derek
Jeffrey, DV compresses each frame - like jpeg. The DV files that come out of the camera are the highest quality (raw) data you can get your hands on.

Remember to import in "DV: format. MPEG I and II compress each frame and throws away data repeated in consecutive, repeating frames (grossly oversimplified). Just remenber DV is 15 GB/Hour.

Username: Spade357

Post Number: 2
Regarding to Windows Movie Maker 2:

If you're planning make a DVD forget it. This software won't let you convert to MPEG-2 which is the format for DVD.

Username: Rbfgoat

Post Number: 1
Im using the Elura 50, and Windows Movie Maker 2. Do I need to do anything to get the computer to recognize the connection when I plug the firewire from the camcorder into the 1394 port, or can I just plug it in and send the movies from the tape to Movie Maker?

andy endac
Unregistered guest
Is there any way to play mini dv tapes to transfer
them to the computer without using a camcorder?

Marion Bram
Unregistered guest
How do I specify the specs for my Firewire when I go to buy one. I have a Canon 2r 25 MC and I want to capture onto my laptop computer. They both have a little teeny rectangular port. ANy ideas? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Digital 8 Handycam. With it, I got Pixela Image Mixer. I used that to capture my videos, but I used Ulead Video Studio 6 and 7. I have tried to export my edited videos back to the camera, but it says, "DV camcording device isn't ready". I just have no clue, and I have read the instruction manual and it's no help.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A PANASONIC DV CAMCORDER NV DS65. IT HAS USB PORT AND DV IN/OUT. I ALSO HAVE A DVD WRITER ON MY PC. IS IS POSSIBLE TO RECORD THE CAMCORDER DV FILM ON TO DVD? IF SO WHAT WILL I NEED? PLEASE HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Username: Scorpionb

OK, I have a Canon ZR65 MC digital camcorder and would like to get the video off of the camcorder and onto my pc but I have no clue even what a firewire card/cable looks like, where to buy them from, and how much they cost.

Username: Payala2004

J.:
Go to this link http://www.orangemicro.com
there you will find all the info you need about firewire cards, also you should have a socond hard drive at least 40 gig and 7200 to capture the video. just remember is better to have your program on a separate hard drive. Oh and the last thing if you can get Ulead studio media Pro 6 or 7 ...get it is the best. ( at least to me)
Good luck

Unregistered guest
Want to copy Digital Video directly from one camera to another via Firewire.
Would a 4-pin-to-4-pin Firewire cable be OK?
Don't want to damage the camera's ports. Thanks.

Anonymous

i have a panasonic NV-GS50 camcorder,how can i transfer the movies from the tape to my computer.is it possible only by using the USB port connection or i need an extra card .

Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a Sony Cameracorder TRV33 and I want to transfer my movies to Image Mixer? Thanks

Shafagh
Unregistered guest
I have a mini DV ZR65 MC, Canon. how can i transfer movies from the tape to my laptop? do i need to have a firewire cable? or a USB cable would do?

Unregistered guest
Hi, i am a video fanatic. i recently purchased a panasonic mini DV camcorder (PV-GS50) and i am trying to connect it to Windows Movie Maker to edit my footage. i have tryed all the help options i can though windows movie maker and i cannot make it work, the problem is that the movie maker does not recognize my camcorder as a DV camcorder, only as a web camera. i can't the program to transport my video footage on the tape onto my computer. if anyone else has this problem or knows the solution please please please email me at swissboarder38@sbcglobal.net Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have PAL Mini-DV tapes but NTSC Mini-DV
camcorder. Can i use this camcorder to tansmit
data to computer then convert it to NTSC?

Anonymous

HAVE A PANASONIC DV CAMCORDER NV DS65. IT HAS USB PORT AND DV IN/OUT. I ALSO HAVE A DVD WRITER ON MY PC. IS IS POSSIBLE TO RECORD THE CAMCORDER DV FILM ON TO DVD? IF SO WHAT WILL I NEED? PLEASE HELP. THANKS IN IRAN

Unregistered guest
HAVE A PANASONIC DV CAMCORDER NV DS65. IT HAS USB PORT AND DV IN/OUT. I ALSO HAVE A DVD WRITER ON MY PC. IS IS POSSIBLE TO RECORD THE CAMCORDER DV FILM ON TO DVD? IF SO WHAT WILL I NEED? PLEASE HELP. THANKS

Shaunaldo
Unregistered guest
After editing my film on Pixela Imagemixer 1.0, I have encountered two problems:
1. While playing the edited movie, the picture is about a second faster than the sound.
2. I have no idea how to record the movie back onto my camcorder to put it on VHS etc.
Any help would be of great benefit.

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic NV DS60. I tried to download the tape to 2 different PCs via IEEE 1394 connection without success. It looked like the OS (Windows ME and 2000) did not know the device. I found a hot fix for the W XP and this might help (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810032). I did not tried this yet as I have to upgrade the OS first to XP.

Dissatisfied Lurker
Unregistered guest
This page is a fricking waste of time. Everybody has questions, nobody has answers. Look someplace else.

Unregistered guest
hi,

i have a panasonic digital camcorder, and bought a memory card to go with it. the memory card lets me take pictures, but ocne i tried to record some stuff onto it, i couldn't figure out how. can someoen help me out with this? aren't you supposed to be able to record MPEG files onto a memory card?

PS: i dont mean recording things onto a VHS-C tape; i have to problems recording on those, if it helps any.

Happy Movie Director
Unregistered guest
Hello
lovis lion
REgarding you question on how to get your old Analog VCR movies into your computer
>> Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:11

I have a panasonic pv70 camcorder. Just this week I found a USB machine which TRANSFERS old analog videos into DVDS!!! Its called:
ADS USB Instant DVD + DV (USBAV-703)
Check the site
http://www.videowarriorstraining.com/ADS/usbav_703_usb_instantdvddv.htm

Username: Trigger

Hello all,
I have an old sony trv-9 mini dv and a dell laptop, what do I need to transfer my videos to my computer? Is it possible with such an old camera??? Thanx

Blaire & Bush
Unregistered guest
There is more questions in this forum than Bush & Blaire have to answer about the illegal war!!! Doesn't anyone have any answers to the questions??? waste of time!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys
I have an older JVC DV Camcorder
It doesnt have a Firewire or USb connection
I want to put the video on my PC
Is there a DV Tape Drive for a PC that will fit in one of the PC bays
Thanks

Anonymous

March 17, 2004
How do I transfer digital video files from the mini DV cassette in my Canon ZR50 MC digital video camera to my PC? I know very little about downloading, cables, Firewire, importing, and compression. I am almost at a total loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much. Velma

lr
Unregistered guest
Buy a firewire ($50 at Circuit City) from a computer store, which will come with a cable. You have to install the hardware, hook up the cord to the camera, then use a program to transfer video files. We used ImageMixer, which seems not to be the best program, but it did get us a 10 minute CD of reasonably good quality. The editing was easy to do. You do have to save it in MPEG, which for some reason was tricky--my friend did it for me. The USB cables discussed in the Sony manual were useless. Why don't they tell you this???
Now we are trying to record back to an 8 mm tape in the camera, but see no way to do so. Anyone/?

(I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, but got sick of reading people's whining about the questions with no answers. I hope this was a partial answer. And what is it with you people who can't breathe a word without trashing Bush? John Kerry's got the virus too...)

Unregistered guest
Ok i got a sharp VL-Z3U and i want to import the video off the tape onto my computer but i need to know what i need there is a DV input but i dont know if i need like software to be able to transfer or should winow atuomatically get it so if you can tell me were like i can download it. i know ima need another cord for the DV inpute I.Link cord or somethin like that i just need da software THanks PAYCE

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 405
if you have a DV output from the camera, which I think you do, you are going to need a DV to IEEE 1394 cable to connect it to your computer. From there, your computer should detect your camera and you can use Windows Media to transfer your videos.

Unregistered guest
I've got a Canon Mvx10i. I installed PCI firewire and is using Ulead pro 7.0. I faced BIG time problems in capturing videos from my camcorder.

1. The PC sometimes dont recognise the Camcorder
2. Even if it do it only captures abt 3 min of the video
3. And when it stops after 3 min, the PC hangs
4. During the 3 min capture, it got broken into a series of small files with many dropped frames, i.e. colours squares scattered across screen.

My system config:
Pentium IV 190MHZ
40GB (x7200) hard disk
768MB RAM

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Username: Jstrnck

i got a canon mini dv optima 10- i after reading the threads i realize i need fireware, but my camera doesnt have it, so i guess i wont be able to transfer mini dv movies to a CD, but can you put short clips under 10 seconds on the MB card and transfer them? thx- if so, how would i do that- thx john

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
john,
are you sure it is an optima? I know canon carries an optura 10.
if that is the case, you should have the "dv in/out" on your camera. It's a tiny little rectangle with an indentation on the top.
if you have this, and you should, you need a DV to IEEE1394 cable. You can use this to attach to your computer's fire wire connection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
mokmokmic,
make sure that your drivers are updated. Are you using XP?

CK_PWNZ
Unregistered guest
hey i have a panasonic dv camcorder. just bought it. tryed putting my recorded stuff onto my computer via ulead studio 6 or what ever, but it doesnt work properly.
i bought a firewire card too, but the camera is only picked up when the usb is plugged in, in which case it acts like a web cam : crap fps.

i checked my hardware connections and it says it picks up the firewire card not a problem... but this is really annoying. i just wanna put my movies onto my pc

Unregistered guest
Hi
I have a Sony TRV22 Mini DV Camcorder. I want to convert all my videos into a CD or my PC;

I have Image Pixela, but I have no idea as to how I should transfer my videos to my computer.

Please advise;

paulgolfer
Unregistered guest
I have a jvc grsxm340u camcorder. it comes with a pc cable that hooks to a serial port (com1). windows movie maker 2 will not find the camera. any hints or answers

Username: Oregontim

Medford, Oregon USA

I have a Sony TRV33. I am very new to MiniDV recorders, but have been able to do some pretty cool stuff with Windows Movie Maker 2. I found I needed to get a cheap FireWire card to transfer my videos to my PC. Windows will help you capture the video to your harddrive. I made a really nice video to music with clips from family vacations, and will be making a second when I get time. Take the time to learn windows movie maker 2 and you will make movies that you will want to show everyone.

Deepak
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me how can one connect this camcorder to the computer which has windows XP home edition and only USB (no firewire) so that it works as webcam? I even downloaded trackercam but it says no camera found. Do I need to connect DV out from my camcorder to USB or just USB to USB would do the job? Do I need to set my camcorder on camera mode or to memory mode (because in memory mode it shows that PC mode but not on camera mode).

Thanks

Deepak
Unregistered guest
Its sony DCR PC110.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,
I want to transfer Vedio footage from MiniDV to Computer Harddrive, I have firewire. Camcorder is Sony DCR-TRV38. Could anyone help me how to download step by step. Please mail me at sunildasara@hotmail.com

Thanks you help in advance.

Unregistered guest
I have got Panasonic NV-DS65 and my PC with XP SP1 installed doesn't detect it by IEEE 1394.It was detected only first time when I connect it and that's it. But it detects NV-DS60 without any problems. Please HELP!!! Thanks

BL79C
Unregistered guest
when I transfer my DV tape to Pinnacle on PC thru 1394, the JVC LCD displayed Date & Time but not on the computer. How do I capture the TimeStamp on the tape into my file. Please help.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi all,
I have taken a Sony mini DV (DCR HC 14E) and I got a software CD with that but when I use the software to copy the video from the handycam, it is adding its own sound and storing bits of video, not the complete video.
Also I am unable to capture the pictures which are taken with the hanycam.
Can anyone tell me a clue of using the software or is there any other better software available for this.
Thanks,
Venu.
gvm@matchtip.biz

Irene
Unregistered guest
I have Panasonic PV-GS55 MiniDv camera. I installed FireWire and connected the camera to the computer. I also installed Ulead software. The software freezes and does not work. I have windows 98. Can anyone recommend what software should I use to transfer the movie form the camera to the computer? Should I also see a separate drive when I installed the Firewire, like the USB drive. How does the file transfer starts, do I need to succeed with the software installation? If anyone can help, please email me step by step instructions; ilejb@optonline.net
Thank you in advance.

Username: Fkoroth

DUBAIUNITED ARAB ...

I have a panasonic NV GS15 digital camcorder with USB. I want to transfer movie to pc.

Please help me.

Faisal.

kwoolf
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a Sony DCR PC100. How do I transfer mini DV cassette tapes to DVD? I am completely new to this so detailed instructions would be helpful!

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
If your video camera has any capability at all of transferring video footage to a PC, there is a manual for detailed instructions on how to do any sort of transfer. it will also give you detailed instructions on what ever extra or optional items you will need. There should also be a disk that came with your camera package and therein will be instructions, also on what you need to do to edit said footage.
Go check your manual...you'll be surprised at what it contains.

Username: Rambragath

i have a sony camcorder and i want to transfer the video recorded to my pc and pls let me know what software and hardware i need to transfer

Username: Mie_26

I have a panasonic digital camcorder NVGS11 and would like to know how to transfer mini-DV video to my PC (Windows 2000). All I've got at the moment is a USB cable and a software (DV studio 3) that came with the camcorder. With these two I can easily transfer still pictures to my pc.
I have a firewire card in
my computer and a cable attached between them.
How do I transfer the data from the tape to the
computer? Step by step instructions please.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. You may either reply to me in this message board or by sending an email to mie_26@yahoo.com many thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 874
check your product manual. It should also come with its own program to transfer videos, but it looks like you already have the hardware for it.

Anonymous

Avid Free DV Overview [ http://avid.com/freedv/index.asp ]
Perfect for students, DV camera owners, video enthusiasts or anyone exploring video editing - Avid Free DV software is an easy, free way to join the Avid family and test-drive the industry-standard editing interface used by more professionals than any other video editing solution.

Avid Free DV is feature-streamlined, standalone software which includes basic video and audio editing capabilities, up to two streams of real-time effects and support for both Windows XP and Macintosh OS X platforms.

Kovacs Productions
Unregistered guest
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=8691&post=24247#POST24247
Go to http://avid.com/freedv/tutorials/index.asp
Here you will find free software and tutorials to explain ***Learn how to set up and configure Avid Free DV to capture media from a DV camera or deck and tutorials to show you how to use the software.

Perfect for students, DV camera owners, video enthusiasts or anyone exploring video editing - Avid Free DV software is an easy, free way to join the Avid family and test-drive the industry-standard editing interface used by more professionals than any other video editing solution.
Avid Free DV is feature-streamlined, standalone software which includes basic video and audio editing capabilities, up to two streams of real-time effects and support for both Windows XP and Macintosh OS X platforms

KP
Unregistered guest
STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS AND MANUALS
Go to http://avid.com/freedv/tutorials/index.asp
Here you will find free software and tutorials to explain ***Learn how to set up and configure Avid Free DV to capture media from a DV camera or deck and tutorials to show you how to use the software.

Avid Free DV is feature-streamlined, standalone software which includes basic video and audio editing capabilities, up to two streams of real-time effects and support for both Windows XP and Macintosh OS X platforms

Unregistered guest
I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A BOOK ON HOW TO TRANSFER MY VIDIO FILMS ON TO MY COMPUTER AND THEN RECORD IT ON TO DVD. OR CAN ANY ONE LET ME KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. AND APART FROM A COMPUTER WHAT ELSE WILL I NEED.
THANKS

Silver Member

Post Number: 889
try this

Digital Video for Dummies, Third Edition by Keith Underdahl (Paperback)
Creating PC Video
by Douglas Stevenson, Robert Wolenik
CD and DVD Recording for Dummies
by Mark L. Chambers
Digital Video Essentials: Shoot, Transfer, Edit, Share
by Erica Sadun

Unregistered guest
i bought a new panasonic NV GS50 cam everything is working properly but Dv in/out i couldn't copy things to my pc .i don't no wat to do even though i bought fireware cable and the card also but still it is not recognising the cam may b we need to install DV drivers for that also if so....anybody is having that drivers plzzzzzzzzzzz inform me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 969
make sure that the IEEE1394 port is enabled in your pc

deez
Unregistered guest
hai berny
I got ieee1394 firewire port it is recongnise in system. After installation system says no dv drivers found?
tell me where to get dv drivers for panasonic gs-50.

Username: Victoledano

Long ISland, New York USA

Hey..Guys..

Where I can get the installer/Driver of JVC GRDV3000u..Is there a way I could get this installer..I have a PC but I cant use my Camcorder to transfer all the Digital stills in my memory card to my PC..Please advice..

Good Day Berny!!!

Can u help me on this one...I need a installer/Driver of JVC GRDV3000u..Is there a way I could get this installer thru internet and download it to my PC..I have a PC but I cant use my Camcorder to transfer all the Digital stills in my memory card to my PC..

Please advice..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1020
Victor,
Have you tried the JVC website technical support?

http://www.jvc.com/custrel/index.jsp

They usually have drivers and updates on that site, if not, try the microsoft website.

you said you have a memory card??? The best way to transfer those is by using a memory card reader.

do you still have the cd for the camcorder?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1021
deez,
try the Panasonic Europe website for updated drivers on your camera.
The Software that came with your camera should have the drivers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1021
deez,
try the Panasonic Europe website for updated drivers on your camera.
The Software that came with your camera should have the drivers.

Post Number: 3
Good Day Berny...

Its me again Victor..But how about transferring my video footages to a PC...I would like to burn those video footages to a CD...Is there any other way to do it...

Im looking to use all the functions of my unit...as Web Cam, trasferring Still pictures and transferring Video footages to a PC...

By the way the driver/cd-installer is not included in the package when I bought the unit..

Million Thanks

Victor

Gold Member

Post Number: 1023
Victor,
There is always a way to transfer video footage to PC, but you need the proper software and connections.
You need firewire and your PC should be firewire capable.

Ulead is a good program to transfer and edit videos, there is also Pinnacle.

Have you gone to the JVC website?
Is your PC capable of digital video processing? What is your OS? RAM?

Unregistered guest
I have a mini DV ZR65 MC, Canon. how can i transfer movies from the tape to my laptop? do i need to have a firewire cable? or a USB cable would do?

Unregistered guest
I have a mini DV ZR65 MC, Canon. how can i transfer movies from the tape to my laptop? do i need to have a firewire cable? or a USB cable would do? Transfer details are required

Gold Member

Post Number: 1029
1. Get firewire
2. Make sure laptop is firewire capable
3. Get drivers for firewire and camcorder
4. Buy video editing program, e.g. Ulead, Pinnacle, Roxio, Arcsoft.
5. Follow directions on software.
6. Read books on how to edit digital video.

Grahame Mowatt
Unregistered guest
listen up evrybody, i will sya this only once...........

you need a firewire cable to copy from mini dv tape to pc. Usually a computer will 'usually' have a 6 pin connector (large rectangle with 2 corners cut off). the camcorder will 'usually' will have a 4 pin connector (much smaller than 6 pin).

If your Pc doesnt have a firewire port, buy a firewire card. they are easy to fit (you need to open your pc, dont be frightened its very easy. or i am sure pc world will do it for you if you are worried about your pc warranty) and they cost very little.

you NEED software. windows moviemaker is free. howvere there are better ones, but they cost money. although you may be able to procure them for free if you are that way inclined.....

now, connect the camcorder to the computer with said firewire lead. open the software and away you go.

in conclusion.

1. You need firewire (if your camcorder doesnt have firewire, then shame!)

2. USB will not DO!

3. get some software.

and as jay would say bigidy bang, edit that rude boy!

Username: Parry

PAtna, Bihar India

Hi all,
I have taken a Sony mini DV (DCR HC 14E) and I got a software CD with that but when I use the software to copy the video from the handycam, it is adding its own sound and storing bits of video, not the complete video.
Also I am unable to capture the pictures which are taken with the hanycam.
Can anyone tell me a clue of using the software or is there any other better software available for this.
The same problem was addressed by venu on 01 jun 2004.
please help me

Anonymous

I am able to download from the camcorder to my PC using the firewire adaptor but the picture resolution is poor. I followed the manual instructions. The movie looks great on TV but in any PC video program it is poor. Any solutions or ideas?

Unregistered guest
Cant downloed my videos on computer . please help me out

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D50 Dv-Cam and a firewire card
but I cant get the film into my computer via Firewire/DV, but it works perfectly fine when I use USB. what could it be?

Apu
Unregistered guest
Berny I'm in dire straits...

Camcorder: Panasonic pv gs120 Digital
PC: Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook with 40 gb and 2.44 GHz clk spd. Have Dv In/Out in Camcorder also USB. USB only works when capturing still from either tape or SD card. But PC doesn't recognize camcorder when trying to capture VIDEO from tape via USB. it says device not found... my pc has a i.link 1394 port... is this the firewire port? so all I need is ULEad and the firewire cable to download video from tape? just say "YES" pls

Gold Member

Post Number: 1064
Apu,
Don't try to capture video via usb. Use the 1394 port, THAT is the firewire port. If you have ulead and firewire, you'll be fine.

Anonymous

I have a PV-GS50 panasonic Camcorde and after 6 month without problems, now the image has kind of mosaic noise that do not let to record or play without this noise, that sometimes is very hard.Do you know what happended??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1071
clean the camcorder heads.

Username: Gunnarf

Sweden

Here's my input regarding capturing MiniDV to a PC. It is possible to capture the native resolution to PC using FireWire (some camcorder vendors call this something else, for example JVC talks about I-Link which is the same thing).

Be aware that in order to preserve the original resolution you must capture the original DVI-DV format.
This is a 25 Megabit/second datastream.
This means that one minute of video capture will consume appr 178 Megabytes of disk space, so it's important to have plenty of hard disk at hand for temporary storage during the capture process.

If your capture solution does not eat disk at that rate then you're not really capturing raw video.

Once you have the raw video on disk the next job is preferrably to edit the movie into something that is a good viewing experience. Once done editing you can decide to keep the raw data in case you can find storage space for it. One alternative is if you have a camcorder that can accept video in. Then you can record the edited video back on tape in its native resolution.
Or you can encode the raw video into a compressed format such as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 so it fits onto DVD or CD. (But that produces less quality than the original MiniDV format). I found MPEG-1 allows some pretty good quality encoding useful for storing the result on CD for the purpose of later PC playback, this can be better quality than DVD.
I have done some experimentation using a combination of Microsoft Movie Maker for video capture/editing (it comes part of Windows XP and allows raw MiniDV capture) and TMPGEnc 3.0 Express for video encoding and the results look pretty nice.
I use a JVC GR-DVX4, one of the first MiniDV camcorders that came out and I think the image quality is as good as I can expect. But the motor noise in the audio is really a weak spot of that camera model, eventually I'll get around it using an external microphone. I read that model can be reprogrammed to accept DV-in recording but I haven't explored that further.

Typical TMPGenc default encodings suggested for "PC Playback" really shows poor quality but it becomes evident that good quality really produces bigger files and it's all a matter of personal taste what tradeoffs are acceptable.

I really would like to find a video editing software that excels on editing video, those I have tried so far are pretty basic and falls short when it comes to editing stuff with precision and ease. I assume I need to move to pro software with a price tag before that improves ?

bhalraj singh
Unregistered guest
i have a panasonic nv-ds65 it works great but when using the usb conection to get my viseo onto a pc it loses many frames and the quality is not very good. do i need a firewire cable for it to work better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
yes

Unregistered guest
I have camcorder panasonic nvgs11. the question is how could I transfer all the images and vedios whether by using the usb or fire wire or both.

marc q
Unregistered guest
hi I have a canon elura 65 i want to copy the video on my mini DV tape to my computer. how do i do that? can i do it using the usb cable or do i need the DV cable? what software do i need?

Anonymous

Hi ,
I have a SONY DCRPC120/PAL Handycam with memory stick and cassette options. In the manual, they have given details about transferring data fron the memory stick to PC only. Can anyone please tell me how to transfer data from the cassette to my pc.
Thanks
renmats

Anonymous

Hi ,
I have a SONY DCR -HC 30/PAL Handycam with memory stick and cassette options. In the manual, they have given details about transferring data fron the memory stick /tape to PC only. Can anyone please tell me how to transfer data from the cassette to my pc.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Howdy. Like many others who have posted here, I'm new to this. Let me ask some questions from my perspective:

1. In order to transfer from my mini-DV to my computer, it's recommended that I use a firewire interface. Is that right?

2. I understand that moving a video, like a mini-DV takes on the order of 15Gb for one hour. So, I'm guessing I need a compression program. Can someone please recommend one. Thanks.

3. Once I get this mini-DV movie transfered and compressed, and on my hard drive, is it feasible to burn it to a CD-ROM? I don't have a DVD burner (well, actually I DO have a DVD burner, but it says it's for W2000, and I run W98SE - so I'm guessing it won't work with my current configuration. If you know differently, I'd appreciate the guidance). So, is burning to a CD-ROM possible. Pros and cons appreciated.

That should do it for now. Hey, please bear with me. You guys are experts, and that's why I'm turning to you.

Best regards,

=Tim=

Sweden

MiniDV transfer is 25 Mbit/s, that is about 270 Mbytes for one minute of video. If you want to edit a movie and save the result in original quality then you need to capture and work on the original DVI-DV format. Once you are done you can encode to various compressed formats depending on in what way it is being made available to the audience. If original quality is not so important you can capture the film in compressed format and edit, but then some quality is lost in the result. A good low cost start is the Microsoft Movie Maker that comes bundled with Windows XP.

Anonymous

I have a Canon ZR70 MC, i have read all this stuff on firewire plugs and firewire cards, but exactly what are they?

Anonymous

Ive just written in a question, but no answer. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweden

Post Number: 3
Look here for some hints:
http://developer.apple.com/firewire/

It's a serial bus capable of high speed data transfer. It's popular for use with digital video equipment and higher end external hard disks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us