Archive through June 08, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 715
...or another way of putting it: movies that were conceived, written, cast, acted, directed, and produced by human beings who seem to have more than five brain cells to their credit.

...by which I mean:

- no cartoonish good guys vs. bad guys, cowboys and injuns horsesh*t;

- no pathetically hackneyed cliches whacking the viewer in the face every ten minutes, for example:

> macho johnson-waving clowns,
> flag-fellating rah-rah-nationalistic clowns,
> superhero-out-to-save-the-world clowns,
> the helpless damsel in distress,
> the loner/maverick cop coming out of retirement with pansy bureaucratic bosses won't let him do his job,
> the good decent family man who just wants to protect his (gasp!) family

- somewhat original characters not cardboard cliches mouthing idiotic cliches

- somewhat original plotlines that you cannot predict within the first 10 minutes of the movie

- dialogue that doesn't sound like it was written by a focus group of mentally retarded 13 year olds having a circle-jerk

- gratuitious explosions and special effects in place of anything resembling real characters or an original story

Here are some examples of these elusive "fun" movies for some light entertainment, some of them with powerful LFE and surround soundtracks, and above all "fun" movies which are NOT expressedly designed to lobotomize the viewer who just wants to kill some time:

The Matrix (1st one only)
Aliens
The Bourne Identity
Robocop
The Usual Suspects
Run Lola Run
The Terminator (1st & 2nd)
GI Jane
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Italian Job
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (1 was better though)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Desperado
Killing Zoe
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Goodfellas
Thelma & Louise
Full Metal Jacket
Hero
Braveheart
True Romance
House of Flying Daggers
Saving Private Ryan (first 20 minutes)
Blackhawk Down (contains a little nationalistic crapola but otherwise great fight scenes)
Gladiator
Fight Club

OK, the rest of you guys help me out here, I'm running low, don't make me dip into my Sundance collection! : )

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 624
Great list Edster! I have more than 1/2 of those.

Das Boot
Dark Blue
Stir of Echoes
Frailty
The Haunting
La Femme Nikita
Master and Commander
The Score
Ronin
Tears of the Sun
Open Range
The Patriot
American Beauty
Cellular
Adaptation
Moulin Rouge
Stargate

Just to start as it is about my bed time. Put another long day behind me.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
To add a few to the list... not so much for the LFE's but...

The Game
Fallen
The Vanishing (original Dutch version, aka Spoorloos, NOT the vapid American remake)
Cube (first one only)
Dead Ringers (new version comes out tomorrow!)

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 231
Don't know if these are up to your guy's standards, but ohh well.

Blow
On The Waterfront
Groundhog Day
The Quiet Man (perhaps John Wayne's most interesting role)
Apocolypse Now
Sideways
Garden State
Saved
Shaun of the Dead
The Breakfast Club
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Office Space

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1081
I watched 'Dirty Harry' this evening, does that count??

You liked Kill Bill?? I have part1 and thought it was incredibly lame.

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
Dirty Harry isn't bad, Clint Eastwood sometimes makes decent movies. Even when they're cheesy and slow they usually have a satisfyingly amoral edge to the carnage. The only Eastwood movies I really disliked were the ones with that darn chimpanzee.

I'd add his spaghetti westerns to the list, especially "High Plains Drifter" which is surprisingly very existentialist.

"Kill Bill" is an exercise in pure style that has the good sense to poke fun at itself throughout. It's also slyly subversive because the women in it have all the cojones while the men (with maybe 3 exceptions) are mostly clowns. I loved the scene of the yakuzza meeting when Lucy Liu prances down the table and chops the guy's head off. Also when Uma Thurman chops off the babyfaced yakuzza kid's sword and then spanks him before sending him back to his mama...ROTFL

Speaking of poking fun at oneself throughout, I'd add most of Jackie Chan's movies to the list. He's hilarious and, rare in his genre, very creative.

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
Art,

I loved "American Beauty" but wouldn't quite call it "light entertainment" though. Seen it at least 7-8 times! That movie just about says it all...one of the few Oscar winners that actually deserved it, IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 719
Steven,

ooh, "Fast Times...!" What a blast from the past! Phoebe Cates in a red bikini will be forever etched in my mind.

I should also add "Sex and Lucia" with Paz Vega, whom you might've seen in the recent schmaltzfest Adam Sandler movie "Spanglish." She was far far better in the first one---absolute feast for the eyes!

> The Quiet Man (perhaps John Wayne's most interesting role)

He actually had an interesting role? I'll definitely have to rent that one sometime, because I really can't stand his normal movies, yuck.

Will also add the very first Spike Lee film, "She's Gotta Have It"---one of his very best!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
I saw several good flicks on those lists, and many from my own collection.....(OK, maybe not Run Lola Run.....HEH)

I have no favorites to list. I'd rather list what I watched today:-)

Hmmm...what will tomorrows be??

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 505
Assault on Precinct 13 - Best movie I've seen in a couple of years.

Gladiator
Training Day
Starsky & Hutch
Die Hard (All three)
The Bourne Identity
i Robot
Under Siege
The Fast and the Furious
Braveheart
Bad Boys 2

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1937
Why don't you all put your movie posts on the MOVIES THREAD?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 626
With a son in Iraq I wouldn't call "Full Metal Jacket" light entertainment either. It is in the eye of the beholder.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1169
Art,

As an old veteran, my thoughts and well wishes will be for his safe and quick return home.

Silver Member

Post Number: 722
Art,

Yikes!!! Best of wishes for your son's safe and sane return.

(You're right about FMJ, of course.)

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 629
Thanks guys.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 630
Oh did I mention it's his second tour and he is all of 20 yrs old. Double Yikes!

Silver Member

Post Number: 725
SECOND tour??? You have one hell of a brave kid there...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
Kano,
Assault on Precinct was that good?? I thought about buying that when it was released a few weeks ago but passed considering that it tanked miserably at the box office. Hmmmm...Maybe I'll reconsider being that the box office doesnt tell the whole story.

I can think of several movies that 'tanked' that I liked very much.

The Punisher
Butterfly Effect
The 13th Floor
Timeline/Timecop/Time Machine-as you can tell, time travel movies are one of my cult favorites:-)

Speaking of movies, I went to Target for the first time in ages today and checked out their movie selection. I thought it was terrible, and only half that of Walmart(who's selection also is terrible). I did however buy two movies that I've already seen but dont own.

Pitch Black....a great flick, and Batman Returns(since I havnt seen it since it was new) for a total of $20. The reason I brought it up was because some were knocking Walmart, but targets selection and prices was even worse in spite of the good deals I got today.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 506
I thought it did a great job of capturing the suspense of the original 1972 John Carpenter version while bringing the movie to the present day. The acting was hit and miss but overall didn't detract from the overall show. Samuel L. Jackson and Ethan Hawke made up for some of the poorer talent.

Great tactics and presentation of setting and weaponry was the major draw for me.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 632
Underated Movies:

Tigerland
Oscar and Lucinda
Photographing Fairies (still waiting for the DVD transfer)
The Claim

Come on guys help me out here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
wow, and I thought *I* was into obscure flicks! : )

some other nice light entertainment:

First Blood (weirdly satisfying, and infinitely better than the subsequent "Rambo" series!)

Steven Seagall movies --- so outrageously stupid in dialogue, characters, and Seagall's horrible acting that they are great comedies. The aikido fight scenes aren't bad though.

Dragon --- very propagandized portrayal of Bruce Lee but the opening fight scene is awesome, so is the part where he fights off a dozen Chinese cooks! hilarious

Little Big Man --- makes "Dances With Wolves" look like the watered-down amateurish mediocrity that it is.

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid --- if ever there was a "perfect" Western, this is it.

No Man's Land --- black comedy in the trenches of Yugoslavia

Underground --- rip-roaring black comedy of post-Tito Yugoslavia disintegrating

Dr. Strangelove --- love the general with his obsesion for "replenishing my liquids" and of course the bomb-riding redneck at the end.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 166
Yea,Edster I love all the old kung-fu movies with their outrageous sound effects and terribly dubbed english, very entertaining and so comical!

Silver Member

Post Number: 731
Eric,

yup, I think that's where Quentin Tarantino gets a lot of his inspiration!

oops, need to add:

Reservoir Dogs --- a little gory during the Van Gogh scene but otherwise lotsa fun

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Yes a great flick!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 636
Colin Farell in Tigerland reminds me of my son. A pain in the @ss on the practice floor but a hell of a gamer.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 646
Edster, you are alright! I have "No Mans Land". That one kind of leaves you scratching your chin. If you really want a Lexapro evening watch "No Mans Land" followed by "The House of Sand and Fog" if those films don't cause you to eat your 9mm then you can say without a doubt that you have a strong constitution. Ain't movies fun!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1094
Actually,
If you're old enough to remember, the Rambo and Seagall movies 'A' list movies and big attractions when they were released. I do agree the new Seagall movies now fit the bill.

BTW, the new version of the punisher, reminded me a lot of 'Hard to Kill'. Travolta was awesome playing the bad guy role.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 648
I like 2 Seagall movies (bad as they may be), "Hard to Kill" and "Under Seige" which I bought for $4.88 at Walmart (20 miles away) last weekend. I like "Under Seige" because they didn't bother with the "good guy has to get his @ss kicked somewhere along the way" BS that we see in almost every action flick.

Silver Member

Post Number: 733
Art,

"House of Fog and Sand" has been on my Netflix qeue forever but keeps getting bumped down---don't know why, because I love Jennifer Connely.

If you want a truly suicide-inducing movie, watch "Last Exit to Brooklyn." Man, that is bleakness.

If you liked "No Man's Land" definitely get "Underground," it's got the same pitch-black humor but whacks you in the face at about 100 mph...incredible manic energy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 734
Paul,

Seagall has some new movies out? Didn't know that, guess I stick too close to my local arthouse cinema, LOL. His movies really require at least a six-pack to sit through, though.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 650
I just bought "Underworld" last weekend and my wife is away for the weekend so I WILL be watching it!

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Yea ,Ed.I always like a good buzz before going to the movies.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 651
I am going to training tommorrow so I am chillin' with some smooth Pendleton whiskey, Miles Davis, Sir William Walton, and my friends at ecoustics. Edster you haven't seen "Photographing Fairies"? I mean!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
Eric,
Once you have a HT, you wont even want to go "OUT" to the movies again. Movies at home are 10x better!!! I went 'out' to my first movie in ages to take my daughter to the new star was about a week ago, and I couldnt believe how lousy the soundsystem was. In fact, I cant wait until it's released on DVD so I can hear how it 'should' sound at home.

As for my drinking preference??...Im more of a beer person than anything else. Sometimes I'll do Whiskey and lemonade, or Rum mixed with a citrus soda, but I usually regret it in the morning. Im getting too old for the hard stuff.

Lately it's been a local Pale Ale.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 652
For the non beleiver ... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305177341 Great film.

Silver Member

Post Number: 739
art,

Netflix doesn't even carry "Photographing Fairies" and RottenTomatoes.com only has 5 reviews of it. Wow you sure have picked a doozy here! : )

"Underworld" is not the same as "Underground"---see below:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1088763-underground/

Silver Member

Post Number: 740
> Yea ,Ed.I always like a good buzz before going to the movies.

Depends on the movie though, some require a strong cup of coffee --- see "Northfork" or "Eraserhead."

The beer movies are the real easy action or comedy flicks.

Oh yeah, "Blues Brothers" belongs on this list.

"American Pie" wasn't bad either.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 653
I'm disapointed Paul. Pendelton whiskey is the advertised favorite of Lars Larson our regional equivalent to the nationally renowned fascists Rush Limbaugh and Micahel Savage. Actually I believe Lars used to sit in for Micahel on occasion for a truly disgusting hour of talk radio. It's like a horror flick you want to turn away but you find yourself engrossed (or grossed out) and you can't wait to hear the next assinine comment. Ain't life grand!

Silver Member

Post Number: 741
some Pedro Almodovar films:

Matador
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
Live Flesh

Best Spanish movie:

Sex and Lucia

Best tragedy/love-story/black-comedy/erotika EVER:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6302649188

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 654
Oops on the "Underground" Edster, I will check into that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
art,

thing is, Michael Savage makes even Rush Limbaugh look intelligent. He is the male mutation of Ann Coulter, except that Ann might actually be shaggable with the help of about 2 six-packs and a paper bag.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1099
One classic that nobody has mentioned...."The Highlander". I couldnt even venture a guess as to how many times I've seen that through the years. The special addition disc inserts a couple deleted scenes to the film which caught me off guard the first time I saw it. One of them was quite good, and I dont know how they could have cut it in the first place.

I didnt care for part 2, and didnt even watch the 3rd installment.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 655
Are you sure about that Spanish film! Do you mean Spanish or Spanish language. I like "Y Tu Mama Tambien". Hey, how about "Malena", outstanding, but Italian.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 656
Great comment Edster (the Anne Coulter), I laughed until I near pis%sed my pants.

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
"Lovers" is in Spanish with English subtitles, Spanish location, cast & director.

"Y Tu Mama Tambien" wasn't bad but I much preferred "Amores Perros"---now that was just phenomenal!

The only thing I liked about "Malena" was Monica Belucci and all the nice lingering shots of her luscious body...OMG, these Mediterranean-type women totally rock my world! Beautiful actress, beautiful setting and cinematography but kind of tiresome plot though I respected the lack of a happy ending.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
I even heard that the DUMBocrat liberals were trying to break into radio. Too bad they'll never be able to pay the bills and stay on the air:-)

Those on the left probably never even pondered the reasoning behind that reality. I realize there are a few peppered around, but very few can survive for long.

Silver Member

Post Number: 744
Jesus that woman absolutely makes me retch, not sure if 2 six packs would get the job done...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1101
Ann is hilarious.

Silver Member

Post Number: 745
Paul,

you might actually have a point there, I don't think Air America is doing all that great. On the other hand Air America doesn't have a nationwide network of wingnut radio mega-conglomerates shoving them down people's throats.

Very easy to understand why: most RETARDicans can't read so they watch a lot of Faux News at home and listen to those AM half-wits in their cars.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 658
Oh but wasn't Monica worth every last minute you spent watching "Malena". I haven't seen Amores Perros". I will now though. Did you enjoy "Amelie"? I was enchanted, it was like falling in love when you are young, the freshness and beauty of Audrey Tautou... yummie.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1102
Oh btw....if we're talking shagging radio talk show hosts, this one is at the top of my list:-)
http://www.lauraingraham.com/

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 659
The extremes on both sides need their heads examined. Speaking of which anybody seen "The Last Supper". Great movie, deals with this subject rather nicely.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 660
That works for me Paul!

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Laura Ingraham? Looks like the checkout girl from some 1970s Piggly Wiggly supermarket.

Excellent movie with lots of interesting political and cultural bits about the US and Canada:

The Barbarian Invasions
(what a lucky old man that guy was...)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
Naw...it's all about $$$$, and ratings, and nobody wants to listen to more liberal goblidygook. It gets shoved down everyones throats through the papers and BIG3 anyway, so everyone already gets their fill. Heck, I even watch them from time to time for a few laughs.

For me, the most priceless moment ever was watching CNN in the wee morning hours of election night last fall. The woman(i forget her name)was visually shaken and almost in tears when they called/prediced bush the winner. The others went on and on rationalizing how it wasnt over yet, and theirs still 'hope'. Priceless!!!

Apparently, HOPE, wasnt on the way......hahahaha
At least, for them anyways.....

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 661
Yeah, but what about Audrey Tautou.....mmmmm!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1104
I thought "The Day after tomorrow" was very political, and I still liked it........HEH Without saying, the stupid Vice President, was clearly depicted to be a member of the GOP.

In the movie "TimeCop", there was a scene when the 'corrupt senator' was giving a speach, and in the background if you look carefully, you could see republican in the background on a flag.

Because I'm very political and involved in politics, I pick up on a lot of that stuff in movies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
Speaking of 'the last supper'. One movie that did gangbusters at the box office, and was a huge disappointment for me was "Passion". I didnt care for that movie at all.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 662
So am I, and so do I, although I thought "The Day After Tomorrow" was dreadful. It is very difficult to hold my political beliefs in a social services environment. It's like they blindly accept whatever the left says. Bizarre.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 663
I haven't had the balls to see the "Passion" yet. It's weird I know several other conservatives who either did not like it or who haven't watched it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1106
For those who enjoy watching a person being pulverized into hamburger meat for 3 hours, it'll be a great flick. That was basically the entire movie.

I was hoping the movie would cover a broader time frame frame and include more history. Instead, nearly the entire movie was after He was captured and showed the beatings just before His death. Watching an entire movie of someone being flogged wasnt my idea of a quality movie.

If they would have written the movie to cover more of his life, and maybe dedicate the last 20 minutes to the brutal ending, I think the movie would have been much better.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
If you want a truly bizarre movie-watching experience, I recommend Santa Sangre from ALejandro Jodorowsky. Unfortunately it hasn't been released on a Region 1 DVD yet. But if you're overseas or have a region-free DVD player: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CERU3

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 751
Art, I pray for your son's safe return.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
Oh goodie......

Im on pins and needles waiting for 'that one' to be eleased in region 1.........

NOT........

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 57
No one mentioned Animal House

Silver Member

Post Number: 747
I also never bothered to see "The Passion"---graphic sadomasochism is just not my cup of tea.

"The Last Temptation of Christ" is my favorite Jesus movie. Loved the scenes of Barbara Hershey making a living, heh!

"Amelie" wasn't bad. Another nice light French film is "Chocolat."

A very hard to find but worth it to find, French movie: "Betty Blue"

Silver Member

Post Number: 748
Two best subtly-political-but-very-entertaining movies:

Three Kings
Clear and Present Danger

the original Manchurian Candidate was good too.

Even though I liked Bill Clinton, I also loved "Primary Colors" where Travolta did a brilliant job playing him!

Anonymous

Star Wars Episode 69: The Raid on Uranus

Gold Member

Post Number: 1108
LOL at the 'frenchy' movies....hahahahahah

In america, we have 'A' list movies, and we have 'B' list movies.

European movies arent even deserving a letter. They are deserving a number. In fact, a number 2, as in '2nd rate, and 2nd class'. European movies have the quality and sophistication of your typical amature drama club production.

I compare european movie makers to children playing PeeWee football in America who aspire of someday playing for the NFL when they become 'grownups'.

The unfortunate reality is that only an extremely minute and insignificant percentage have the talent to make it in the 'big leagues'. The European movie makers are merely leftover talent not good enough for the pros.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 61
My favorites in no particular order -
Animal House
Blues Brothers
Office Space
Friday (all three)
Made
Meet the Parents
Goodfellas
Full Metal Jacket
Apocolypse Now Redux
Blow
Seinfeld - I know it not a movie, but the seasons are on dvd; there's got to be a loop hole somewhere

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
OK Paul, you probably believe that Detroit still makes the best cars in the world, don't you? LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 756
Stu,

yeah Seinfeld reruns are one of the few things on TV worth watching.

another very good gangster movie:

Once Upon A Time In America

more crime and violence:

Menace II Society
New Jack City
Boyz n the Hood
Summer of Sam

Scarface (darn, can't believe I forgot that one)

Love that scene where Pacino looks at the Miami skyline at night and says, "That city is just one big focking p***y waiting to be eaten!" LMAO...yes the good ole American Dream writ large!

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 233
Hallo Edster922

Not sure if this up to the standards!
Though I'm not feeling happy at the moment so hear goes.

Vin diesel "The fast and the furious"
Orlando bloom "pirates of the Caribbean"

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 69
Edster - Not a fan of New Jack City. Ice-T is the worst actor I've ever seen!!! He even makes Law & Order unbearible during his scenes. Law & Order is the only other show I really get into on tv other than Seinfeld and Sports Center.

I can't believe I forgot Scarface too. Menace and Boyz n the Hood are two other greats I forgot.

Any Vince Vaughn fans out there? My brother in LA hangs out at the same bar as him and shoots the $hit with him every now and then when Vince isn't making a movie. I thought my brother was full of crap until I was out visiting him and met Vince in the bar. FUNNY B@ASTARD!!!! He's the same annoyingly hillarious person in real life!!!
Made has got to be his best work.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 70
One of the worst movies EVER that I can't stop watching - Bedazzled. Brandon Frasier is the second worst actor ever - Ice-T winning by a slim margin - but check out Elizabeth Hurley. By far her best looking movie. At least I have a mute button... Now if I could only edit Brandon Frasier out of the movie...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1110
Ice T was awesome in "Surviving The Game". That may have been his first movie....not sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 38
Ok guys,

I'm back and out of a hotel room. Now, we're talking. Incredible opening list, Edster.

Thanks for the additions, Art and Stephen. Stephen, it is without question John Wayne's most interesting and best role. I bought it on DVD and showed it to my 23 year old son and 19 year old daughter and they thought it was "cool". Maurine O'Hara is dynamite as his love interest and probably one of the best "fight scenes" and "dragging your wife home scenes" ever. (Paul would really like the last one, I'm sure.)

I'm a little odd in my watching taste. Grew up in So. Cal. and married a woman whose dad ran the Chinese theatre for awhile and she grew up attending Hollywood premieres in the old days, not that old, when the stars actually showed up. So, some of those old flicks are in my VHS and DVD collection. Some newer films that you missed and should be included in the sports genre:

Hoosiers
The Natural
Field of Dreams
Rocky, possibly Rocky III - liked Mr. T myself
The Lou Gerhig Story
The Babe Ruth Story
Hero - sword play and martial arts
(Just about any of the early Bruce Lee movies)
The Hustler (one of Paul Newman's early greats)
And I could think of several old fight movies that would fit the bill.

Musicals that weren't included:

West Side Story
Oklahoma
South Pacific
Sound of Music
Fiddler on the Roof
My Fair Lady
Phantom of the Opera
Singin in the Rain
Moulin Rouge - I think may have been listed already
Mary Poppins
Music Man
Amadeus
Ray
(Just about any Lerner & Lowes score and many of the old Disney animated musicals - I'm sure I'm missing some more recent, decent ones but NOT "TOMMY")

Comedies:
All of Me
Man With Two Brains
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
(Just about anything with Steve Martin)
Big
Forrest Gump
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Dr. Strangelove
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Groundhog Day
Philadelphia Story
Annie Hall
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Big Fish
Princess Bride
Airplane - the original only
Water Boy
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Westerns:
Stagecoach
The Magnificent Seven
High Noon
Silverado

I've only scratched the surface and I've got to go back to work.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 71
Any Al Pacino movie except Frankie and Johnny

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 235
I can't think of any movies that Johnny Depp or Don Cheadle havn't been pretty good. Just my opinion.

As for Al Pacino, I didn't much care for Insomnia, and from what I heard Simone wasn't good either.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 72
Good call Stephen, let me rephrase-
Just about any Al Pacino movie -
Carlito's Way
Scarface
Any Given Sunday
The Recruit
Scent of a Woman
The Devil's Advocate
I'll continue later... I just realized what time it is... Time to leave work!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Stu, come back. It's only 3:15 p.m., at least on the west coast. Good calls all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1111
Geez......

With all the talk of Pacino and mob movies in various threads, I havnt seen one mention the granddaddy of them all.....The Godfather.

You guys are making me wonder......

Movie of the night???.....'Chocolat'??

HEH...NOT!!!

I picked up Pitch Black and Batman Returns yesterday, and I'll either watch one or both tonight:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1112
PS

I also picked up a 12 of Pale Ales:-)
http://www.blvdbeer.com/product_set.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Paul,

If you watch the movies through the empties of the Pale Ales, you not only get great sound but you get a stereo vision effect also. Just a thought for an entertaining evening.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 670
Thanks Dale and Rick for your kind words about my son. I mean it sincerely.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 671
Speaking of mob movies how about "Donnie Brasco". And yet another "connected" movie "The Yards" with Mark Wahlberg.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1116
Brasco was 'ok'.....
I prefer Pacino movies where he doesnt play the pathetic loser as in that movie.

BTW, I give the same regards for your son, coming from a former weekend warrior who served from 86-92 and was a 'tooth-hair' from serving in the first gulf war.

In fact, one of my best'ist buddies who I served bootcamp with me is still in, and is now a Major serving in Iraq as we speak. He's been there 6 months and is scheduled for a year. So far....knock on wood, his Bat. has no losses as far as I know. They're Army Engineers and clearing the roads of IEDs among other things.

My friend has his own bedroom, and shares a bathroom with another Major......HEh, must be rough. Needless to say, he also has internet access and we keep in touch on a weekly basis.

Sad thing though is that he's out and about all the time, and the biggest hazzard are those friggin IEDs and sniper fire.

I wish the US forces could turn back the clock to the way warfare was during WWII and kick azz and end this thing instead of fighting with both arms tied behind their backs. Thanks to the PC police, or soldiers can no longer do their jobs and this BS makes me sick.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
didn't see "Donnie Brasco" but liked "Donnie Darko"---weird but good!

You're right Paul, "The Godfather"---major oversight! The first one was best though...that decapitated horse scene was amazing.

Also, Jim Jarmusch movies:

Dead Man (Johnny Depp's finest!)

Down By Law (Tom Waits proves he can act as well as sing)

Night on Earth (the Italian taxi-driver is hilarious)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Art,

Likewise, on the "thanks" and best wishes for your son. I've got a 23 year old and a 22 year old and I can imagine your concerns as a parent. You have an incredibly brave young man to accept a second hitch. We'll keep him in our prayers. "God bless", I think I just sneezed so it's OK to say that, right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 763
> I wish the US forces could turn back the clock to the way warfare was during WWII and kick azz and end this thing instead of fighting with both arms tied behind their backs.

heh heh, I do too Paul but in Iraq (like in Vietnam) they're fighting an insurgency in a guerilla war, in WWII it was conventional armies going at it in the open.

Two very different ballgames, and despite all of our world-best technology and super-trained troops, the bottom line is that it's friggin' hard to win a guerilla war of any kind in any place at any time.

We could though if we were willing to pay the price in blood---like have a national draft to put another 200,000 boots on the ground. But even the most flag-fellating Republican politician wouldn't have the cojones to do that.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 675
Thanks all! How about "Freeway" for a strange movie, "about a boy" for a fun movie (love the narrative). Then there's "Big Fish" and on and on.

Hillary and Jackie
Frequency
Miami Blues
25th hour
The Contender
Changing Lanes
Payback
Rob Roy
King of New York
Waking Ned Devine

and on we go!

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
class of its own:
Boogie Nights

sex and violence:

Sea of Love
Jagged Edge
Basic Instinct (so cheesy it's funny)
Bad Boys (one of Sean Penn's first)
Marathon Man (absolute classic!)
Witness
Frantic
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart

another French movie for Paul:
Breathless (original Godard version)

cult favorites:
Repo Man (Emilio Estevez)
Sid and Nancy

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 677
Speaking of sex and violence..."Quills".

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
oh yes, I love Kate Winslet...

She was amazing with Harvey Keitel in "Holy Smoke"

and of course also spectacular in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" with Jim Carrey

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 678
My list of non movie movies "to die for" (Paul pay no mind to this one).

First and my favorite...

Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Winged Migration
Koyaanisqatsi
Baraka

When Joan Osborne belts out the vocals for "Heatwave" I about s&it my pants everytime. "Standing in the Shadows" is a classic.

And, Oh ya Edster Kate Winslet is what dreams are made of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
"Casablanca" good writing and story telling and some classic witty lines, I can't say I get board of this film.

And along with "The wizard of Oz", dame good that moment when the house comes crashing sown to a sudden halt of stillness in the sound and when Dorothy opens the front door I still get a lump in the throat when the black & white transcends into Technicolor WOW and the re-mixing process to Dolby 5.1 with split-stereo surrounds very artistic, this also a grown ups film that are young at heart like me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
I liked Koyaanisqatsi, much more than the rest of that trilogy.

Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka, now those are films that make me wish I had a projector with a 10-foot image!

movie I've probably seen the most times:

"The Graduate" --- never understood why Dustin Hoffman picked the daughter, I thought Anne Bancroft's Mrs. Robinson was VERY yummy and undoubtedly the far better lay!

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
She was indeed she gave me the HORN!

Mrs Robinson are you trying to seduce me, she can with me I like mature woman are the best and the sexiest too.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 682
Well I actually have to work tomorrow (I mean real work not training). Out!

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
Good for you how does that make you feel training out, for you hay!

Any way keep it up though; right up, now a question of do I give you the @ss or the crouch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us