Speaker Advice?


New member
Username: Spark79

Post Number: 1
Registered: Jan-05
I wonder if any of you can help me. I'm looking to buy some speakers for my PC and have seen some I quite fancy. The problem is where it says System Requirements it states in requires 230 VAC! Problem being I have no idea what VAC means! I know, it's probably a dumb question sorry.
I'd be grateful for any help you might be able to offer.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid


Post Number: 209
Registered: Nov-04
I think its 230 volts AC current like from a wall socket. but the thing is a wall socket is only 110-130 volts. Are u sure its 230?

New member
Username: Spark79

Post Number: 2
Registered: Jan-05
Ah, I see. Yeah, it definitely states 230VAC. Weird. I'm in the UK is our voltage thing different to the US?
I'm really confused now!

Unregistered guest
Yeah, in the UK the voltage is different. Most countries in Europe have 220 or 230 Volts coming out of the wall sockets. It's a much higher voltage than ours and can be deadly if you do something stupid like stick a fork in the outlet or something. The US uses the much milder 110 Volts (probably because we keep zapping ourselves accidentally). Your best bet would be to check the back of any other properly working electronic devices in your house to see if they say 230 Volts AC as well. Then if you know they work, your speakers should work as well, provided that the plug will actually fit into your wall...

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 32
Registered: May-04
Yes all fairly accurate so far. Remember USA via Thomas Edison put the first city supply electrical system in place 'way back. 110 volts was chosen for the US standard then. ( By the way, VAC means "Volts, Alternating Current.") It's a bit unusual to go that way about getting good PC sound - unless your existing stereo system speakers are not to your liking if you have already got a good one (??) it's OK to feed the "line out" of your PC sound card into an "auxiliary in" on your stereo amplifier with a long connector cord.It will work perfectly.But if you still want to have seperate speaker setups - with regard to the power plug, a travel goods supply shop has adaptor plugs to suit all types. In Aussie we are 240volts too. The US 110 volts system while being a bit safer, need heavier current cable to supply the same amount of power i.e."wattage".Power equals voltage times current. Ohm's law - W=IxE !! So there !! ;-)) Hope that helps.
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message


Shop Related Deals


Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us