Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 103
ok how is this tell me any improvements you can think of

alpine cda-9825
infinity kappa 60.5cs
fosgate 700s
fosgate 40 watt to each channel amp at 4 ohms
3 cerwin vega 12 vmax

will the subs be getting enough power 175 rms a peice give me your thoufht how loud will i be and how will i sound

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 53
I don't know if you read what Jonathan said about running subs(not voice coils) in series. Gettin a 6 ohm load with 3 "2 ohm" subs in series looks good on paper but isn't really a good idea.

I take it you're pretty set on 3 12 vmax's. Do you already own the 700s? because it doesn't really match up well with that combo of subs despite what I said earlier. You'd be better off with a 2ohm stable monoblock with 3 "8 ohm" vmax's run in parallel as a 2.67 ohm load.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 68
i think thats not enough power to each sub

dont you have a pathfinder....are those gonna fit in a ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 104
yes they are going int a ported box i do have a pathfinder . let me explain how i will wire 3 whil still remaining stable i alread own the 700s. i will get 2 svc 12s running off of 1 channel on a 2ohm load and 1 dvc 14 running off of the other chanell wired to 4 ohms. will this work or will the subs sound different. i didnt think it mattered as long as they all got the same power

Bronze Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 57
err... they're gonna be different.

To give you an idea look at these specs on JL's 10w3's

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10W3v2_MAN.pdf

Scroll down to the enclosure recommendations. Notice that the T/S parameters are slightly different and thusly the reccomended enclosure sizes and tunings are slightly different for each impedance model as well. The subs may be similar but they will definitely not sound alike and different cone velocities at like frequencies is a bad combo.

Why the obsession with 3 12's? Since you seem to be stuck with that 700s you really need to find 12 ohm subs(12w3d6's would work) to go that route.

Otherwise I'd think two of the DVC Vegas would sound infinitely better. Help me out here Jonathan.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 105
canyou recomend any other good subs in the 6 ohm dvc category.

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 106
never mind im stupid i can get 3 svc vegas. run 1 of them off of 1 channel and the 2 off or an other. giving the 1 a 4ohm load and the other a2 will this sound good or will different ohms cause differences 2. now rememember they are all svc subs now

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 119
Which Vegas are you talking about ? Didn't know they made 3ohm Vegas....

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 107
no 3 12" svc 4 ohm vegas. 3 being the #

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 127
Doh, my misread.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 144
why not go with 2 15s? they shouldnt take up that much more room compared to the 3 12's and 175rms a piece is going to be under powering them alot. the 15s only need 400watts a piece to reach full excursion so youd be getting more out of them than the 3 12s since they need 300 watts a piece. IMO the 15s would hit lower notes and slump harder than the 12s but hey its just a thought..

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1676
I agree. Either two dual 4 ohm 12s or 15s that need around 300-400W RMS each would serve you best. If you go for more SQ inclined, a single ported Brahma, X.X.X., or ID Max would serve you well, though it wouldn't move as much air as 3 12s or 2 15s.

Bronze Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 72
Yeah even though your running the same speakers, now one side of your amp will be working twice as hard as the other. Unless that 700s is a "Super Amp" cone velocities are not gonna match well, at least not at high output levels. Result - inferior SQ.

Oh and guys, how do you all decide what is "enough" to power a speaker? I always thought power was power, or does subwoofer efficiency somehow increase at full linear excursion?

And why does Adire have a video of a Shiva "pumping away with just 60W RMS"?

I'm a bit confused. Are you guys basing all this on practical experience? because thats something I'm definitely lacking.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 108
okay, if i get 2 15s how does porting effect their responce would i be better to go sealed. also i amp beginging to look at eclipse aluminum how much do they cost online and where can i buy them. the 12s i mean so now its between 2 15 vmax and 2 12 alums if the price is decent.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us