IF you were offer free money for your car audio system

Anonymous

If you were offer free money for you car audio system. What kind of system would you get. Lets say you have a Honda Accord 01 coupe.

Bronze Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 51
do you mean if price is no object what would you get?

if so i would rock with 2 eclipse titanium 12's
and dyn audio components in the front

but this is really a question with a million answers

im sure everyone on here will give a different answer

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 336
...rainbow audio

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 60
Yeah, Dynaudio System 360, 2 Eclipse Ti's, Zapco Amps....Jonathan's Eclipse HU.....

Anonymous

Just wondering but why eclipse Titanium?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
It's a premium hard hitting sub that sounds awesome too. Fantastic mix of SQ and SPL IMO. The ID Max is also a Great sub with those characteristics (I own 2). The Eclipse is a sub that not everyone and their brother is going to have. Since I've joined this forum I bet RE and Adire have had 100 new customers each. :-) Not that they don't deserve it. I dunno, Just something about Eclipse that says "class" to me. Makes me want to trade up....again.

Username: Kaosr

Post Number: 10
Well Id Get Pioneers SPL5000 15s,If it would fit 2, and Alpines SPX-F17T component set. and Dynaudio System 360 in the rear they come with an 8in woofer.
HCCA orion amps.also i dont like eclipse their not durable enough and not very loud for the money

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Have you ever owned Eclipse Titaniums Chace?

Bronze Member
Username: Kaosr

Post Number: 11
the pioneer is a 12 and is their premier name

Anonymous

Is there any other top amps beside Zapco, Audison, Mcintosh,etc?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1618
US amps make solid amps, JL's are nice, Eclipse has great amps as well. Given free money, though, I'd like to try an Alpine F#1 Status head unit, Zapco C2K amps, symbilink processors, Zapco signal processing (SLX-4 electronic crossover and 30 band mono EQs) and Symbilink cable all the way back to the amps. I'd like to try active version Rainbow Platinum 6.5" components and tweeters up top(to raise the soundstage and add a little air up top), probably Platinum model Rainbow tweeters used as to match phase etc. Rainbows are very rare in America, which is why I'd like to use them, they also sound fantastic. Dynaudio and Rainbow are my favorite component systems, Focal being next. 12" Eclipse Titanium subs in aperiodic chambers, mounted in the rear package tray of whatever car I may have this in. This would be a fantastic SQ system and also look pretty enough to accomodate those who care about it :-). It would also cost out the a$$ but since it's a donation... Also, Mazdaman, I've used the Titaniums before, great SPL/SQ subs. Can take more power than they're rated for, sound absolutely fantastic, cone flex is NOT going to happen, a great all around sub, monstrous low end. I chose the ID Max for it's midbass transition(which IMO is better than the Titanium), but I really should have gotten either Titaniums or X.X.X. since my current Dynaudio System 360 has great midbass due to the 8" driver (transition isn't that important) and the Titaniums IMO have better low end response than the ID Max. Should have considered that beforehand, but I was hectic, oh well. I'm very happy with the ID Max, though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1627
X the F#1 status, I'd probably stick with an Eclipse 8454 in the real world b/c it has internal crossover controls, time alignment and level setting for all drivers as well. Then just the Platinum active system and mount the tweeter from the components in either the dash or a-pillars. Basically, it'll make bi-amping easy. Then, I'd go with the 1/3 oct eqs. and possibly a preamp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Jonathan, in ref to the IDMAX, that's on reason I went with the ID Max. Since I already the 6.5 JL component set that was free to me(already installed), I had been told several times of what you mentioned about the good Midbass transition of ID's. I think with my circumstance it was the best move. But I agree as you mention that big midbass driver in the System 360 setup I would have probably done the Ti's too. Hindsight is 20/20 or maybe 20/15. Don't think they would have been as cheap as the ID Max though. Premium Quality commands Premium $$$.

I'm kinda concentrating my spare funds on car performance now...but I still love the audio aspect. On second thought could you recommend maybe a differnt amp than the Orion XTR900 for the JL ZR650-CSi? They sound great, but I'm concerned that the 225W RMS might be too much, don't want to damage them

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1628
It depends on your budget, I've given the XRs a JL 300/2 without problems, ZRs will take a little more probably since the cooling has been upgraded. Any good 2 channel with 100-150 RMS would be great for them, they are underrated. I guess if I was choosing an amp, I'd do around 125W RMS, in my experience that's plenty for them. How much can you spend on an amp? You did the best thing with the ID Max in your situation, it's just with mine I really didn't need fantastic midbass transition b/c the Dynaudios have no problem going down to 40-50 hz b/c of the 8" midbass. I probably would have been better served with a good 15" in a low tuned ported box honestly, but I can't fit that in my truck. How do you like those ZRs by the way? I haven't gotten a chance to do a side to side comparison to the XRs, I just heard them by themselves. I totally agree with you about the subs, though, it's all about matching the horse to the course. I'm def. not knocking the low end of the ID Max, it's great, but I still find the Titanium to be a bit better. ID Max produces it accurately, just isn't quite as authoritative as others. I also have it sealed (space restrictions), which hinders low end authority, a ported box tuned to 28 hz would open it up well.

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 57
hey j

what would be a good deal on a dyn audio component set and a solid amp to run them?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1634
It's totally dependant on what size Dynaudios you want, go here for good prices on them:
http://www.woofersetc.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=270&1=271&2=1085
As far as a good amp, Eclipse, Zapco, and JL are carried by the site I posted above. With Audison and McIntosh, you'll have to look around. I always warn people of this: if you can't get an extremely good amp, head unit, etc. I recommend against using Dynaudios, they are very neutral and revealing, they produce EVERYTHING in the music, meaning if you have less than fantastic equipment leading to them, every flaw by that equipment will be produced by them and you'll hear it. Same with Rainbow and Focal. You'll hear really subtle nuances that you never heard in the music before compared to lesser components, and if the amp has excessive noise, distortion, etc, that will come through as well. Basically, they're so accurate that a crappy amp, head unit, signal processor, poorly recorded song, will show with these components.

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 58
what is the cheapest amp you can get that wouldnt have those negative elements?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1635
Probably the Eclipses. Very well built amps, Eclipse tends to be priced very well IMO.

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 59
so if you were gonna run the 6.5 dyn's which eclipse model would you chose?

and our there any rainbow dealers on the web

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Well, I'm going to sell the JBL for about $400-$450 when I do, it's like $700 amp new. That should give me enough for a nice 2 channel like $250-300.

For component sets the shop has JL, Infinity, and Polk. The ZRs compared to the XRs not too much difference. The XR seems a little brighter (which I like) and the woofer seems to handle the mids a little better(drops a little lower), and they also seemed louder w/ same power. Worth the difference in cost....I dunno.
Maybe I just don't hear some stuff that others do. I was perfectly happy with my Infinity Perfects do I notice a lot of difference? Maybe in the woofer but not enough to pay the difference. Needless to say, i wouldn't have them if they weren't free. But like you say, it's all subjective and what each individual likes. I've never heard Focals or Rainbows. Have heard the Dynaudio stuff, although we never carried it. No one wanted to spend that kind of money, everyone wants the best for nothing.

Yeah, my box needs to be retuned. It's tuned too high for those subs. Need to go down to about 30hz.

Lastly, my brother is thinking dropping either Pioneer,Polk or Kenwood and adding another line comparable in price to Polk....any suggestions? Wants a brand with mid to high end stuff. I told him to drop Pioneer exept mayb the HUs. He's currently Trying to push too much stuff I told him (JL, Infinity, Polk, Pioneer, Kenwood).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1637
I'd do the 33250. Very good amp, it's 130Wx2 @ 4ohms. There are very few Rainbow dealers on the web, I heard Arc Audio was the only authorized dealer, but I can't find it anywhere, the site used to be www.rainarc.com, but it's a dead link when I try it. Only place I found was here:
http://www.speedsound.com/caraudio.asp?pg=products&manuf=58
As you can see by the price tag, the Platinums are top of the line. $2000 bucks for 6.5" components. I believe either the Reference or Profi-Vanadiums are the next step down, can't remember. Fantastic components, though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1638
Mazdaman, I'd personally drop Kenwood out of those 3. In my experience, the least reliable of all of them, I don't know, maybe he had less trouble, but I'd take Polk or Pioneer over Kenwood. Anyway, something like Eclipse, Kicker, or Alpine usually sells well and is good mid to high stuff. If you don't already carry Alpine head units, they're usually the most widely liked, be it for brand reputation or just ergonomics. Amps, etc. are friendly in the price range, which a lot of people like (although I'm not a fan of anything but Alpine head units). Eclipse makes fantastic stuff if he's willing to pick up something a bit more expensive, not horribly priced, though. It may be a bit more than he wants to spend(or thinks customers will spend), but Eclipse would be my choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Yeah, forgot about Alpine. Okay its like this
He's got:

-Alpine HUs and amps, only occasionally the subs.
-JL subs, amps, components.
-Infinity coax/components and subs only. (Kappa & Perfect)
-Polk - Not a big fan so don't really pay attention but the Momo series subs and coax/components. Also
the few amps they make
-Pioneer HU and Limited 6.5s & 6x9s only
-Kenwood HU only
He dropped JBL, Pioneer Spkrs, Kenwood Amps,spkrs & Subs earlier this year.

I was thinking Eclipse also. So drop Kenwood and p/u Eclipse and maybe just Kicker amps & subs. Keep the more expensive Eclipse stuff and the SX series Kicker stuff on special order or something. I would drop polk too IMO, but doubt I'll be able to convince him of that. Plus he special orders just about anything he can get his hands on. But he's strictly car audio. Doesn't do Alarms, cell phone, lighting, or anything. Dude does pretty good.

And it's just AMAZING to me how JL seems to be the Lifeline. People will buy for image so much more than I thought. 50% of his sales are JL. His prices are better than most in the area, mostly because he really only competes directly with 1 other shop (aside from Circuit City & Best Buy) because everyone else seems to be outrageous. But people must shop those places because they're still in business. He also doesn't r.a.p.e. people on installation.

Anyway.....

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1641
Yeah, brand reputation, people LOVE JL Audio. Oh well, I can't complain, we carried JL mainly for that reason and made a lot of money off them, it's all about image. Honestly, I didn't notice a huge diff. between the ZRs and XRs either, I was hoping they'd really improve the midbass driver and they just didn't deliver IMO, at least not to the extent I was hoping for. Crossover is better, but not that fantastic. JL overhypes everything IMO, honestly I wasn't that impressed with the SQ of the W7. Boomy and overproduces some material, you can tell it suffers from the long voice coil design. You would think after 7 years of research, they could improve the most important part (the motor) instead of tinkering with cross drilled polepieces, W cones, etc. XBL^2 is much more advanced and better SQ. Just my opinion. I'm really not crazy about Alpine amps, but like I said above, they're cheap. Also wouldn't have anything Kenwood, reliability issues. Polk is pretty good, but I've never been overly impressed. Eclipse is one of the best bets.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1664
I stand corrected on my post about Rainbow, the Reference series is now considered the top of the line component system, then Platinum, the Profi Vanadium.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
We'll forgive you....

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1665
Thanks :-) Now if I can only get this Euro converter to come up I can find out how much they really cost...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1668
Well, it was pounds. I guess Rainbow References are out of the question on that site lol. Damn British import tariffs, I gotta search American places for prices.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1675
Holy crap man. How's this for price of a component set: $7,500 bucks. That's NOT a typo Seven thousand five hundred dollars for a 6.5" component set. I'll stick with Dynaudio. I'm sure you can guess that those Rainbows are some of the best components money can buy (or nearly can't buy)

Anonymous

my system will probably be

hu - johns eclipse av8533
eclipse 21010 equilizer
components - dynaudio 360
eclipse amp
juggernuats 12's
mmats amp
dynomat as needed
fiberglass enclosure

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1680
http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/0311cae_gmc/
Check this site out. At $7500 bucks a component set, and he's got the components, two additional midbasses, and extra tweeter, Arc audio amplifiers, subs, signal processing, a $1700 dollar Nakamichi head unit plus a 6 CD changer. If I only had that much money...not too crazy about the install, I like simple, but the equipment will make you drool
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us