Q about burging......jonathan.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 169
hey man,

i'm thinking bout burping my brahma for an SPL test this weekend, i have the box tuned to 32hz and i was going to run a sine-wave to it.

do you think i should change my tuning frequency to burp...its just a test, not a comp....or jsut pile the power to the brahma around the 32hz i have it tuned at?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1616
It's a lot of work to change the tuning, I'd just pile power at 32 hz and see what you get to start with. If you want to change around, then you can try a higher tune temporarily, go in the 40s or possibly 50s. Depends on the resonant frequency of the vehicle. Just be careful and don't stress the sub for long. Adire doesn't warrant burnt voice coils, or huge mechanical damage.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 178
thats what i was planning on...

i knew it would take time to mess w/ retuning the box...didnt wanna deal w/ that...lol

i'll just see what i hit w/ at ~32hz, hoping to get it metered saturday.....i may make the box so that i can have interchangable ports later, if i get to go to a comp...not many around here.

what kinda dB gains are usually attained by tuning to the resonant frequency of the vehicle...i know there are huge differences depending on the vehicle, but if you have any rough est.? (its in a 98' chevy ext cab truck)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1625
Works best with 6th order bandpass boxes and such, but you can gain large amounts, I've heard of some vehicles can getting 6 db more (compared to a different tune) but totally dependant on vehicle. Hard to say, IMO not worth it but I'm not a huge SPl guy anyway. You're basically a one note wonder when you do this, typical tuning is high 40s to high 50s, and most people just use bandpass crossovers and give the subs enormous amts. of power since bandpass boxes can give around 4x the mechanical power handling that sealed can.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 179
yea,

i've been talking to a guy that hit 147.1 w/ one braham 10" @ 47hz with a 6th order.

i know i'm not anywhere near that, my setup is more SQ than SPL...thats why i tuned to 32hz, its a daily driver.

i'm just gonna stick w/ the tuning as is for now.....i'm tempted to build a 6th order if i go to a comp later on.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 540
marshall the s 10 extended cab with the third door i tested looked to peak at about 59 hz if that helps you

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 541
marshall... and if i understand the program curves that i ran with the subwoofers we tested in that truck you would want a 55 or 56 hz tune to peak at the proposed 59 hz but i havent tested this theory real world yet

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 180
i dont have an S10...i have a 98 ext. cab silverado w/o the 3rd door.

i'm just gonna have to try a few things, i need to nail down some odds and ends. (dynomat and stuff)

this weekend i'm just gonna run a few sine-waves, just to see what i'm hitting w/ this daily driver box and amp.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1631
Dynamat or similar material is very important. You'll see an increase with that, plus better SQ. Can't complain with that :-) I think you said you had a Brahma 12" didn't you? I think you may be surprised, with Dynamat, etc. I think you could crack 140s. Hard to say, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us