Is polyfill worth the trouble

Bronze Member
Username: Tripperdiv

Post Number: 20
hey guys,i recently did a new install in my 99 honda civic this is what i installed(pics coming as soon as i get developed).walled off with 4 15" bostwick drag r's,4 bostwick 1100 watt amps,2 yellowtop optima batteries,2 2farad tsunami caps,1 150.4 bostwick amp for highs,sony mex5di head unit.and yeah still running oe alternator, but i am upgrading within the next week or two.beleave it or not the system pounds like crazy with this alt,voltage readout on caps drop to 12.3 when bass hits really hard but i dont keep it at elavated levels for long periods of time because im worried about messing something up.the subs were so heavy it took me and my friend to lift and install them thats why i want to know if pollyfill is worth it each sub calls for 5-12 ft3 ported enclosure range, each one now has 3.5 cu in with 30 sqaure in port what would be the pros and cons to adding polyfill and how and what kind should i use if needed

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 482
you would end up changing your tune frequency of the ports to a lower frequncy and it would take less power to achieve xmax according to the box recommendations you gave and youd gain about 20 % boost in box volume in each chamber with 2 inches of fiberglass insulation so that would be about 4.20 cf of air space per chamber id say it would be well worth the effort. I shouldnt say this (lol) but you do that and add a baffle inside that yet in each chamber and your lookin to hit maybe 3 db more plus what the fiberglass does for you if your not sure bout the baffles insert them in a way you can remove them later and your back to bangin as before ( the baffles would create more pressure build up before the ports theoretically as ive read) let me know your results im very intrested in this

Bronze Member
Username: Tripperdiv

Post Number: 21
sean thanks for reply,i never used any kind of polyfill so what kind of fiberglass do u reccomend(like wall insulation?????).also do i just staple to the inside or what.andthe baffles should they be made to restrict air flow out of the ports or to cover ports.kind of a newbie when it comes to box building.Thanks alot for all your help,ive learn alot of stuff from reading on this forum the last few months,all help is greatly appreciated...

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 514
just matting, i think poly fill comes this way too. you line all of the walls of the box except the top board the woofers drop into we glued ours in heres a site showing the baffled idea its the second example on his page

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/318757/4

Baffled Boxes --

These are not a new idea, but not well known. Over a typical ported box, they can gain 3 dB. It looks like a transmission line, but it works differently. In a normal box with no baffle, the air behind the port moves the most, but not as much in other parts of the box. The baffle forces all the air in the box to move, and thus adds mass to the resonant air creating more SPL and damping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us