Sony xplod subs

Bronze Member
Username: Nightmare

Post Number: 17
i kno sony xlpod r bad subs but i jus wanted to kno will they even thump a little? anything would be appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 468
a little yes (if you already bought them fine but if you didnt stay away, one of the worst ive heard prob worse than audiobahn and thats saying alot)

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 106
Sean I hate disagree with you but since I own a pair of both, sony and audiobahn, I can vouch for the fack that the sony's are a much better sub. At least sq wise. After I inverted in a 1cuft sealed box the sq and spl improved dramatically. The audiobahns in my opinion are hopeless. They are in a bandpass box, and yes they get loud, but yeah so!! They get loud, I like to understand what I'm hearing. So in my opinion, if that's all you can afford is the sony's they'll do for a starter. But audiobahns are even good enuff for the landfill.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1582
What's your budget? If you can fork out 125 per sub (shipped), or just for one sub (as one of them is better than two Sonys) look into the Adire Audio Shiva. For a more comparably priced sub, look into the Kicker Comp-VR. Cerwin Vega V-Maxes are also ver y nice, but a tad more than the Comp VRs.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 242
be carefull with the Shiva. Yes it usually only needs 300RMS but with Dual 8 ohm voice coils, you will need an amp that can push 300RMS at 4ohms. So a 2 channel bridged or a 600w mono amp.

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 36
Anyone ever used a Shiva sealed? How do they sound and do they still get decent SQL?

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
the sonys i heard resonanted and i heard so many stories about their failure rate

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
but im glad yours are working better for you koz and as you no ive had the best audiobahn out there the awis quad voice coil 2 ohm per coil 12 inch immortal but you and me are cool none the less peace bro

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1585
It's great sealed. It has extremely good subsonic performance (below 20 hz) and a sealed is the way to get this potential out of the sub. Put it in about 1.75 cu ft and you'll be good to go. Like said above, make sure to get an amp that does 300W at 4 ohms. If you get two, an amp that does 600W at 2 ohms. JBL 600.1 is a nice match.

Anonymous

1.75 Cu Ft sealed? Polyfill required?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1594
No polyfill required. I know that's a big box, but worth it.

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Post Number: 22
I'm running a pair of 10w3's off an old PPI pro mos 2050. I was thinking about upgrading to a pair of Shivas. The amp supposedly delivers 400 watts bridged into 2 ohms but it only came with a 35 amp fuse. Altho I did manage to blow the fuse a couple times when I was running a pair of 10w5's I'm a little skeptical of its power output.

I was wondering if this amp would power the Shivas sufficiently at least in a ported enclosure(I have room). I believe Adire claims that they sound good even with moderate power.

I've kind of fallen in love with the pro mos over the years and would hate to give it up.

-Fishy

Anonymous

Just don't ususally see sealed boxes that big, but I'll go with it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1611
You also don't see a lot of single 12" subs that can do 135 db at 15-20 hz with 300W RMS :-) Trust me on this one.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1612
You could also do about 1.5 cu ft sealed with about 1.5 lbs of polyfill.

Anonymous

That's awesome, the Shiva is a new to me. I've heard the Tempest but never owned either.
Would That setup be good for a daily driver?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1614
Yeah, it's great for a daily driver. It sounds similar to a Tempest, it's just a 12" instead of a 15.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us