Should my gain be set this high????

Anonymous

i have a JBL 600.1 and a pioneer DEH-P6400 HU(the original one w/ the dolphins on the screen)

the HU book says it has 2.2v rms RCA outputs, and the JBL amp has an input level that ranges from 4v and down.

i have a 1ohm load on the amp and the gain is set to bout 3/4 (bass boost on the amp is at 0dB but to get it to sound rite i have to turn the Bass Boost on the HU all the way up!!!)...I thought you usually didnt have to set the gain that high!!!

the amp doesnt seem to be clipping...does anything here sound weird to anyone???or is this just something that happens???

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 559
Well you can turn the HU bass as far up as you want, but the gain at 3/4 is pretty common, i wouldnt turn it up any more, your right on the verge.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1572
Yeah, those head units have pretty weak preouts, With that head unit, I wouldn't say that it's uncommon to have the gain that high. That 2.2V may not even be an RMS rating, I don't remember Pioneer ever stating that being RMS, they just list "max output voltage" which could be a peak value for all you know.

Anonymous

ok...thanks

it was just freaking my out, my sub sounded good and the gain was that high!

if i set the bass boost on both the amp and HU to 0dB (0 on a -6 to +6 scale on the HU), and turn the HU volume up to bout 3/4 to set the gain...i can almost turn the gain all the way up before the amp clips...weird aint it....

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 39
I have 2 audiobahn 12's and a sony 1200 watt amp wired to 2 ohm x2 and my gain is all the way up and the boost is all the way up but hits louder than hell

Anonymous

its prolly loud, but more than likly it sounds like CRAP!!!

Johnathan
Unregistered guest
yeah dude it sucks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us