Match up

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 153
hi, wondering if u guys can help me out.
i was thinking about getting a jl 12w3v2 dual4ohm(300w rms) and pushing it with the jbl gto 301.1(294w rms@2omhs) will this match up? i know it wont be a high power system but i already get clipping with my current 300w amp. for now i dont wanna upgrade my alternator. i was also thinking about gettin some cdt cl61 separates and getting a small 25wx2 amp to push it. well lemme know ur opinions, thx

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
btw all of this would be in an rsx with a small crappy alternator

hater
Unregistered guest
yeah it will push it, i beileve the 12w3v2 can take up to 400-450 watts, so you will be fine, are you putting it in a sealed or ported? if your goin single would go with a ported box if you have the room, i have a RE 12 X.X.X. in a lancer evolution and it pounds, as far as your components, hmm depends on the amp, depending on what you wanna do, i'd do one first till you upgrade the alt, if i'm correct acura and honda same company? and i know they have weak alts......

Visitor#1234567
Unregistered guest
The W3v2 is rated at 300W, 450W will push it into the red as shown on JL site.

Username: Saosin

Post Number: 2
if you know what you are doing u can push 450w into the sub........if your a nub i wouldn't suggest it

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
-umm sry im lost guys, where did 450w come from? the jbl amp is only 294w rms @ 2ohms. i figure if i put the dual 4ohm sub coils in parallel, thatll give me 2 ohms(im only runnin one sub)

-yeah actually i have both a 1cuft sealed and a 2cuft ported box. right now i have my adire shiva in the ported box, it hits pretty loud but i just wanted a more efficient sub to help with the clipping. also im gonna get a mono amp instead of bridging my 2 channel.

-i heard the cdts separates r almost as good as the kappa perfects but a lil cheaper. cdt says they run fine even off deck power but i was going to use a small amp because of my weak alternator. i think someone said integra alt was 70amps so mines prolly pretty close to that.

Username: Saosin

Post Number: 8
i mentioned that the w3v2 would work fine even if it had 450watts pushed to it, ahh ok....... hmmm yeah go with the w3v2, you won't be dissappointed, but i just think JL is overpriced

Audigy77
Unregistered guest
If your alt. is week, you're better to run the CDTs of the HU, especially if you're going to get such a small wattage amp. The additional amp is just going to make the alt. issue worse.

I woudn't get rid of the shiva, that's a killer sub. Just get a better amp. I wouldn't trade a shiva for a W3v2 ever! Look at the JBL GTO601.1 It puts out 425w at 4ohms which would work better with the ported Shiva. It's a mono clas D amp, will help with Alt. issues because it's more efficient.
It's $203 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5720242861&rd= 1%26

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
-i know the class d mono amps r supposed to be 30% more efficient than the class ab amps but....if i have clipping already with a 300w 2channel amp isnt getting a bigger 425w mono jbl amp gonna make the clipping worse?

-yeah i think the shiva has a lil more xmax than the 12w3v2 but with only 300w(the shiva is 650wrms) i know im not getting full excursion witht the shiva(and i cant due to alternator restrictions). with 300w going to the 12w3v2 i beleive thats all it requires for max rms so i was basically looking for a way to fix the clipping issue

jusme
Unregistered guest
yo get some audiobahn or sony xplod and thatll kill a shiva!

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 337
the hell with audiobahn and xplod...get an audiofile and some xblods!

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 63
Yeah jusme....keep believing that.

Anonymous

jusme,

why dont you go shove an audiobahn 18" up your @$$!

the scream you make would sound better than the sub!

BigYellowTaxi
Unregistered guest
Chas....the 650W is just a thermal rating....the sub performs very well with just 300W. The thing pounds with 1.5 cu ft sealed box and 1.5 lbs of polyfill w/ 300w. (quoting Jonathan).
And I do believe the higher wattage would allow you to turn your gains down, jave less draw on the alt and power the sub better. SO yes, the JBL 601.1 would be better IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Kaosr

Post Number: 12
hey find a sub for a better price then an audiobahn. You wont cause I have looked, but I agree with xblod i hate them. sony needs to make some good stuff again all they got is that xplod crap.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1615
300 watts is plenty for a Shiva, but it's a dual 8 ohm sub so you'll need an amp that puts 300-350 watts RMS at 4 ohms. That may be too much for your alternator. I'd still take a Shiva over a W3v3, though. The Shiva WILL reach full excursion with 300-350W RMS if the box is right(1.75 cu ft net sealed box). In normal applications, the Shiva won't need any more than 400W RMS. Like said above, that's a thermal rating and Adire tends to build their subs so that they handle much more thermal power than that which is needed for full mechanical excursion(at least when compared to other brands), meaning mechanical excursion can be reached with much less power. If you read the owners manuals you'll know that. The Adire Brahma is the same way, it's thermally rated at 1600W RMS, but only needs about 800-900W RMS to reach full mechanical excursion in a 1.0 cu ft net sealed box. Certain ported applications and larger sealed boxes need even less power to reach full excursion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
-wow, thx for all the comments guys. i have heard an xplod in a custom made bandpass box and i guess it sounded ok but i havent listened to many xplods

-yeah i did turn down the bass boost both on the amp and the HU which seemed to help with the clipping. but i guess what i dont dont understand is how getting a bigger amp will help clipping, wont it make it worse? if my alt doesnt produce enough power with the demands of 300w amp wont a 450w amp make it worse?

-yeah im trying to get a 250-300w mono amp to help with the efficiency but at 4ohms damn theyre kinda expensive...i was lookin at mtx, kicker, jbl, us acoustics.

-i had the shiva in a 1cuft sealed originally cuz the specs said it had the most spl(it actually seemed to hit harder in the sealed but louder in the ported) but then i heard it takes more power to drive a sealed vs a ported box so i swapped it into a 2cuft ported box now. i know thats still kinda small but i wanna keep some hatch space.

-so i guess that means illl prolly have to run my components off the HU. maybe ill get a new alpine HU, i heard they make highpower decks.

thx for the help guys, u too jusme

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1626
With that 1 cu ft sealed, you'd need more than 300. More like 450 probably, or more. It shouldn't be hard to find an alternator for an RSX. It's a worthy upgrade, it'll make a huge improvement. Running an amp into clipping isn't just straining your sub, since it's coming from alternator current delivery problems, it'll kill your alternator eventually, leaving you with no choice but to upgrade. My personal recommendation is to get one as soon as possible and save the trouble down the road, then you can get a decent size amp for the CDTs you plan to get. I'd also recommend trying to put that Shiva in a 1.75 cu ft sealed box and see how that goes. Won't be quite as loud as the ported, but you'll drop lower (this is where the sub does best, it has great SPL into the subsonic region) and you'll also get to full excursion.

Anonymous

chace cunning,

just about any sub in audiobahns price range is better than audiobahn!!!

if you think audiobahn is good for the price, then you havnt heard any decent subs..EVER!

if u like the price of audiobahns, then you must be looking on ebay. if you compare their prices in shops you will find that you can spend the same cash and go w/ kicker, memphis, adire, re, or even jl in some cases (and we all know how over priced jl is!) all of these put audiobahn to shame on every level!!!

audiobahn makes a better paper weight than a sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
well actually i already inquired about high output alternator but the dealer said it would void my warranty if i replaced it. i was told if i rebuild my current alternator the dealer wouldnt be able to tell the difference, not sure if thats true tho. but yeah i guess gettin a new alt would give me more options.

im kinda curious what 2 shivas in a sealed box would sound like :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us