Cheap, w/Power and AUX input?

Username: Toddac

Post Number: 1
I'm not really interested in paying for a lot of bells and whistles I'll never use.

I just want a powerful head unit (no external amps) that has a AUX input in the rear, for a fair price.

I'm dying to hardwire my new iPod!

Any Suggestions?

Blah
Unregistered guest
Stay away from Sony and JVC.

Post Number: 2
But what should I look at?

Blah
Unregistered guest
When it comes to power from a head unit, almost all of them say 4 X 50watts TOTAL. Now all of them will really put out less, which is the RMS rating. Most units put out maybe 22 to 28 RMS. None of this will matter because you probably still have your stock speakers in there, and any of the after-market units should put out enough watts to power them. Your best bet is to look at the other things receiver's have. Like: Do you want a fold-down cd face? Do the controls look simple and comfortable? Other than that, make sure what your looking at has that AUX input that you need. If you want a name, I like Eclipse radios. But they are pricy sometimes, and some ONLY come with amp outputs, and no speaker outputs. Just keep looking. But stay away from Sony.

Blah
Unregistered guest
Try Ebay.

Post Number: 3
Will the watts matter if I do upgrade my speakers at some point? I'd like to keep my options open for new speakers at some time down the road, so I guess I'd like something that would make good use of them.

Thanks for your help.

Blah
Unregistered guest
Yes. But if you want them to sound good you'll need an amp anyways. OK, when you do buy new speakers, they might be crackly or not so clear when you crank the volume, because none of the radios will be giving them the correct watts. You have to look at the RMS watts on the speakers you buy, and try to match the RMS as close as you can with the amp you buy. Most cars and trucks have 4 door speakers. You would need a 4 channel amp. But because most radios only put out 22 - 28 watts RMS, that usually be enough. Although it is much better than a factory radio. You will always be able to upgrade later. Your doing fine. Everyone always buys a head unit first. You build on when you can afford to. Buying new speakers and having them run of your radio will work fine. But using an amp will make a world of difference.

Blah
Unregistered guest
Im sorry. Typo - But because most radios only put out 22 - 28 RMS, that WONT usually be enough for them to run at theyre full potential. But it will work fine.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 434
if you're lucky.
most head units are closer to 11 watts RMS per channel.
The Alpines with the Vdrive amps inside and dedicated 10AWG power lines from the battery give 27WRMS x 4

Charly 21
Unregistered guest
I'm a begginer in cd receivers, but why do u constantly say to stay away from sony's, are they really that bad??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us