98 s10 extended cab SOUND SYSTEM

Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 1
ok, i'm sort of ticked that i didnt find this site, ohh 2 days ago.

i used to have four 10's and a 12" in my truck, with a kenwood8101d amp. i sold this with the box to a friend for $400. not a bad deal either way, as i got the components pretty cheap and made the box. annyway, another friend from my school was obsessing all week about audiobahn audiobahn audiobahn. so i look on their site.. i find ridiculous prices and lots of ego talk about the brand, so i check out ebay and see the AW1208T's for like $300 for two. i think OK sounds great, bought them, then got (again recommended by same kid) a boss PD-3000 for under $200. so now i have around $500 of system coming in the mail. also i am considering running dual 4ga wire, since i already have enough to do this.. with out buying 0ga or anything. i should be set for wiring, i am studying to be an electrical engineer..
anyway, i get on here and start reading about the audiobahns... i begin having qualms. I'm not overflowing with cash, i mean i do OK but i'm a college student, what can i say. i begin to worry i wasted money, lots of horror stories with these speakers, a few people pleased nonetheless. i would like some input, preferably from someone in the know, eg. Glasswolf, etc.. i just need someone who isnt retarded and brand-blinded to give me some unbiased advice. what should i do? should i build the box i was planning on.. (somewhere in the 3 cu ft range for each 12" driver, slotted on top, with a latching flap for the slots, to convert from sealed to ported in a few seconds.. for windows up SPL testing/windows down night cruising... anyway should i waste the time doing that, then sell everything together to someone who thinks it looks/sounds like 600 dollars, or sell them in their boxes?

-thanks a lot, matt

ps i also want a recommendation on which alternator to buy/where to buy it.. if the amp specs do not lie, then at 1 ohm the amp does 1000x2 rms which at 12v, and say 20% eff. would be around 200A extra draw from my s10, which i think is around 100a now. ook thanks guys

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Sell them in there box's try going around to audio shops and listen to what they got, keyword "listen", personly I dont like Audiobahn for the name but the way they sound, But if you do like the way they sound keep them its your choice.

And I bet if you start using those Audiobahns out of the box and power them @ 1000wRMS rightaway theyll last you maybe 3 weeks, break them in first, so you wont have to worry about an alternator for atleast 100hrs(in use)

well thats all I have to say. now if im wrong on any part of this someone plz correct me.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 135
Two questions...Have you opened the boxes???and Can you return them...and i mean can you return everything, amp and subs???

Audiobahn is WAY over priced and they sound like crap! and Boss in very low end stuff.

your box idea is a good one, but it will be wasted on the sub-amp combo you have now!

sorry if i come off as blasting audiobahns, but i have NEVER heard a desent system that had audiobahns in it(by decent i mean that sub in teh same price range sound much better)...many shop even refuse to sell audiobahn because of their poor reliability!

anyways, what kind of sound are u looking for...SQ, SPL, or a 50:50 of the two?

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 88
Get rid of all of it the with the quickness. Try to return it, and if that doesn't work sell them brand new.

Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 2
hey guys thanks, umm i just bought them from ebay... neither the amp nor the speakers have even come in yet. also, i didnt mention, i picked up another boss amp as well, but if you follow the link below, you'll notice i paid $5 + 15 shipping for it... so if it lets me send good clean sound to my pioneer mids and highs, i will be happy with it. btw. i have 2 pioneer 6x9s in the back, pioneer 4x6's in the dash, and pioneer 6.5's in the doors. they are the 2 or 3 way type, tsk tsk i know better now, i didnt then.

here are the audiobahn aw1208t's i bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5717226854&ssPageName=ST RK:MEWN:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5717227400&ssPageName=ST RK:MEWN:IT

the boss pd-3000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5716849216&ssPageName=ST RK:MEWN:IT

the boss ava-260tr
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5716393417&ssPageName=ST RK:MEWN:IT

i bought the speakers from an individual, not a company. what i could do is relist them, as they will still be in their factory sealed packaging, i would probably only lose on shipping, although maybe i could make that up if the bidding goes high enough.
the amp i would have to try the same, but it is factory refurbished, so i probably wouldnt get much more than i gave for it.
anyway what do you suggest i buy if/when i recieve this stuff and then sell it... and oh how i wish for a rewind button or a take-back key, lol. anyway, someone please direct me where to shop, i'm a consumer searching for an inexpensive, quality product... :-) i'm sure there are many many like me. anyway, i am after SQ and SPL, as you could tell from my box idea. while i enjoy the side of car audio that would let me drive down to Bass Wars at the local car audio shop, and impress a few people with spl, i also love music. and, i dont want to step on any toes here, but when i say music mean real music, not mainstream or rap. ;) anyway nothing against it, i still have a few cds for the basslines. my point was, i have tried to project a decent sound stage in my truck, and i dont want the SQ to die when i turn on the bass. let me know, send some links...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us