Enough power?

Anonymous

hey guys, i just got a pretty decent system, but am trying to decide if i need more power. right now ive got 2 JL amps, a 300/4 powering my car speakers, which are fine...and a 500/1 powering my 3 12" infinity subs, (1232w). im wondering if the amp i have running those subs is really enough to get the full power i can out of them.

and also, my friend has 1 12" W7 and it seems to be as loud as my 3...why!!!! lol

Anonymous

anybody?

Matt N.
Unregistered guest
Well how much power is a question of where is it missing. When you listen to the system is the bass overpowered by the rest of the speakers? Or is it actually overpowering the rest of the sound?

The next question is what kind of sound are you looking for. SPL or SQ, or a mix of both. These questions are for you to answer.

One funny thing about the JL 500/1 is that it is a constant power amp regardless of the load impedance (with in the range of 3 to 8 ohms or so). So your friends 12W7 gets the same amount of power delivered to it as your 3 12" Infinity's regardless of how they are wired. Now sound pressure is a mix of two things: Surface area and XMax (or the distance, in one direction, the cone moves). If your friends 12W7 has the same surface area but moves 3 time further out (cause it gets all 500 wats RMS) then it will sound about the same as your 3 12" subs that have three times the surface are but only move 1/3 as far (cause they get 166-ish watts RMS a piece).

I hope this long-winded response answers your questions. Good Luck.

Anonymous

well the guy that installed it says he gets about 2x the power out of the amp the way its wired....is that possible? maybe i missheard him

Matt N.
Unregistered guest
On most other amplifiers, then yes he would be correct. But the JL amps have a constant power curcuit that is meant to deliver the same amount of wattage regardless of the load impedance.

Check out this link:

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/rips.html

it explains the amps a little better.

Anonymous

ok so back to original question then, do you think i should (if i want them louder) get another amp for those subs? or are those subs at/close to their peak?

Anonymous

anyone? lol

Johnathan
Unregistered guest
those subs are 300w rms each
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us