I want to learn more about Cerwin Vega's

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 13
I was considering two 12w3v2's in my trunk, but I have heard many of you claim that two Vega's would be comparably better and cheaper. No doubt they are cheaper, but are they really better?

I've noticed most of you when questioned about a sub will turn around and say, "oh, well, you need to get Vmax's, Brahma's, or Kickers." Please try to leave bias out of this if you could.

I am restricted on cash, so Vega's have caught my eye. I can't get much info on them from the site and this seems to be the only place to go if I want to talk to people that know their sh1t.

Could somebody tell me the order of Vega's product line (for instance JL goes W0, W3, W6, W7) and where the Vmax's sit on it? Also how can you compare these to w3v2's in term of life expectancy, sq, and spl? Will I be able to save money on an amp with these subs? w3's and Vmax's are both 300 rms, no?

Bronze Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 96
Product line: HED, V-Max, Stroker, Stroker Pro.
V-maxes are not better than 12w3's, but they are not terribly worse, they are in far different price ranges, while a v-max retails at stores for like $135 but can be bought for cheaper online. the 12w3 is like $220. The v-max is a solid, efficient, sub and if you want to save money and dont care about the minute differences, then go with the v-max's. If i had the money id buy 2 v-maxes and use the extra $170 for something better. But if you dont care about money and care about minimally audible details go with the w3's. I dont think anyone in here would say that v-maxs are the same in SQ and SPL to w3's because they are in entirely different priceranges, but as far as shortening the gap, the v-maxes are the best out there in their price range, and come within measurable distance of the w3's. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 97
JL's win the SQ, V-maxes win the SPL by the way. Life expectancy on both shouldnt be an issue, both are solidly built little buggers.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 226
David's got it right on. In the W3v2 you're paying big time for the JL name. A lot more for differences most people probably don't notice

Bronze Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 92
for the extra 100+ per sub, i dont think the JL is worth it. If you did want to spend a little bit more money, you could find something better than the w3. also, since you mentioned you have a truck your going to have to take a look at depth issues. i have a reg cab 91' GMC pickup and the subs i was considering was the VMAX and the adire Shiva. i ended up deciding on the vegas because of how much room the shiva needs. if you have an ext. cab truck you proably wont have as big a problem as i did. overall, the differences are minimal. you'll be very pleased with the Vmax. also, you can pick up an amp to run them for around 250$ (jbl bp600.1 would be great if you can find one) we could help you out a little more if you can give us your price limit, everyone on here has excellent tips/audio experience so feel free to ask as many questions as you feel needed. GL

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1452
As far as SQ, I'd say the Vega is between the W0 and W3v2, as far as SPL, closer to a W6 or W6v2.

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 14
First I appreciate the help, you're all very helpful.

No, Ryan, not sure where you got the idea, but I do not have a truck. I have a 94 Olds Achieva (will i need a new alternator for this? BTW: 120 hp, 2.3l quad)

So yes, I am liking the idea of these Vega's. How are the Strokers in term of price and efficiency? I realize that JL's are excellent quality, but yes I would rather not pay for the name, the damned things will be locked in my trunk anyway.

I don't think space will be too much of an issue, box hieght perhaps, but I have plenty of depth -- at least 3.5 feet if not more.

My price range is not more than 200 per sub, with either two 10's or two 12's. I would like a lot of spl, but am trying not to compromise too much sq.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1460
Try Adire Audio Shivas, 125 each shipped, better SQ than both and SPL falls in between.

Bronze Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 97
"I was considering two 12w3v2's in my trunk" my mistake Nick, i misread 'trunk' as truck. sorry about that. but i would suggest getting the adire shivas, and they are on sale for 115$ a piece (shipped) until the 6th of september i believe. heres the link http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_shiva / about your alternator, that just depends on your car bro. everyones car is different. hook everything up first and if your lights dim real bad, then youll deffinetly need a new alt. you can get them custom built from here http://www.mralternator.com if your lights do dim, find out what your factory alt puts out and get 50-60amps more than that. the box dimentions should be found on the adire site if you choose to go with those. the VMAXs are a great sub as well. it pretty much depends on if you want more SPL or more SQ. they are both quality subs so you will be satisfied with either model. best of luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us