Does enclosure shape matter?

Bronze Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 87
I was wondering if this mattered because I want to keep as much usable trunk space as possible. Say for all practical purposes a ten inch sub should have 4 Yea I know its unlikely, but bear with me, its for the sake of the question) cubic feet inside of a ported inclosure, would it matter if that enclosure, would it matter if the box was 4 ft long, 1 foot deep and 1 foot high vs. 2 ft long, 2 feet deep, 1 foot high?

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 201
I believe the answer to that is no. As long as it comes out to 4 cu ft and you have room to put the port..

Bronze Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 88
awesome, so i can have a wide thin box that only takes up the back wall of my trunk instead of a cube shaped one that divides the trunk in half.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 355
there is a golden ratio but i cant rember what it is right now but one thing you dont want is a square shaped box that will affect the sound of your box at certain frequencies

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
for instance 12 x 12 x 12

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 204
Jon, did we assume right???

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
your fine fng

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1422
A perfectly square box can have standing waves. I too cannot remember the golden ratio, but even with a perfectly square enclosure, it really doesn't matter because the waves would usually occur above subwoofer operating range. In cabinets in home audio, it makes a bigger difference, which is why you see tall cabinets
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us