Alpine type r or jl w3?

Username: Squanto

No, No Usa

Post Number: 1
howdy doodle.
right now, im running 2 10" infinity references with a 600w mono class d mtx. after i dynamat my trunk, im going to be looking to upgrade my subs.
i also have a 400w mtx going to my 6x9" alpine type s and 5 1/2" polks with a pioneer premier... if that makes any bit of difference.
these infinity 10s just dont thump hard enough. theyre pretty clear though, but theyre picky with which kind of music they like. ive heard 12" type r's and i really like what i hear.
i went to a local electronics store (trying to stay far away from cc) and a guy recommended the jl w3 10's. he also said i should try the type r 10's before the 12's. its really hard for me to judge without hearing the jl's or the type r 10's, and i know for a fact the type r 12s are better than what i have.
ive already blown out the infinitys, so im hoping to get something that can handle a bit more power.
the infinitys are supposedly 250rms 1000max. i believe the jls are 250rms. i understand the type r's have abit higher rms (300w), but ive heard they are underrated.
i just want them to thump a bit harder. my mtx 600w (really 709w) should be plenty to power the type r's right?

basically, should i stick with the r's or go for jl?any help on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

well,Type R's over the w3s. But if it was the W3V2's...

No, No Usa

Post Number: 2
any other recommendations besides these subs? my price range including a box is about 500 bucks. i can get a good box for 100 bucks.
also, its my understanding that my amp performs better at 2ohms so im looking for a 2ohm sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 469
I would go with 2 12" Cerwin Vega V-max subs they are 300 watts RMS each and they will smoke both of those subs you are looking at. Since you have a Mono amp you can get the SVC 4ohm and wire them parallel for a 2ohm load.

No, No Usa

Post Number: 4
first off, thanks for your responses so soon.
it says these are 800w max, and i listen to my music loud. mostly rap, so it probly hits the subs pretty hard. am i in danger of blowing these out with my mtx6001?
you say these subs smoke both the subs i was looking at... in terms of sq or spl or both? ive heard these subs recommended many times on these boards.
any place you would recommend buying these? i saw em on ebay for only 80 bucks! (probly 100 shipped). 'New CERWIN-VEGA V-MAX 12" SUBWOOFER VMX12SVC VMX12 800W' im assuming this is the one youre talking about.
i can pay 200 maybe even 250 for each sub. maybe this isn't nessecary since in only have 700 watts goign into them. im really no expert at wiring so id probly have professionals do it... although i may look into that to save myself some money.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 474
If the subs you have now are 800 watts MAX then they are prolly about 300 watts RMS so that part should be fine. And when I said smoke both the others I meant just that in SQ and SPL and just about anything else you can think of. You can get the V-max 12" out ebay if you want to save money or you can get them here www.acaraudio.com or clickthis. http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=52&products_id=1257

As for the wiring stay with the SVC if you want to do it yourself. They are easier to wire up then DVC. Heres a diagram to help you wire the subs. Good Luck

Option #1

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=SVC4

No, No Usa

Post Number: 5
er... i meant the ones i have now are 1000w max (250 rms) supposedly. ive already blown one out, so im sort of nervous about getting one with a lower power rating...
i may be completely wrong however, as i really dont know much about car stereo.
this is exciting tho! these are half the price of the type r's, which i was really considering getting.
thanks for the diagram too, i bookmarked it.. looks easy enough. im gonna check it out on my car before i decide if im gonna do it myself tho. im terrified of breaking what i already have (maybe because the "experts" at circuit city have caused me to go back more than 25 times replacing equipment and bad install jobs. a bit discouraging, yet encourages me to do it myself at the same time!)
so u dont think there will be a problem in terms of power handling of the subs?

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 475
First you DO NOT go by that 1000 watts that is a peak number which is useless. You go by the RMS rating the V-max are 300 watts RMS which if your other subs are 250 watts RMS then you will have 100 more watts with both V-max over the ones you have now. And trust me you will like the V-max over the Type R anyday if you ever get the hear them you will know what I mean. (I have 2 12" V-max) I have beat type Rs with them every time I have been upagainst them. Type Rs SUCK if you ask me.

On the CC issue I understand you completely they don't know sh!t about what they are doing. So I would recommend that YOU do to install are go to a REAL car audio shop and have them install the system for you.

No, No Usa

Post Number: 8
ok, thanks for all your advice! ive been visiting myer-emco which seems to be a reputable car audio shop. they do a lot of custom jobs and carry much higher end equipment. but if i can do it myself why pay them, right?
now that i think about it, my amps only pushing 700 watts to 2 subs, which is not even close to the "1000w max". never thought about it that way. im gonna go with they vegas unless someone gives me a damn good reason not to. but i trust your opinion, and i see that many others on these boards have those, so i doubt that will happen.
thanks again for all your help, i really appreciate it!

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 476
Your welcome thats why we are here. Good Luck with your new system.

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 113
well, i'm feeding 800 watts rms to both my type r's in a ported box and they slam! i haven't personally heard the vmax's before so i wouldn't know in comparison. I don't know. if i were you, i'd get the one with higher power handling, just incase you want to upgrade amplifier to higher power.

No, No Usa

Post Number: 9
has anyone besides jayj actually compared the type r's to the vmax's?

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 228
actually frunjie. i am GOING to. ive leaned to this board for all my problems so now i am trusting the V-Max is better. Also cheaper anyway so i figure why not try it. I will comapare the 2 subs. I will post my thoughts here when done. Prolly wont be for a few weeks. Need money.

Bronze Member

No, No Usa

Post Number: 12
cool. im thinking i may just go for the v-max anyway, it is a lot cheaper. and i trust the opinions of people here. let me know how it goes tho!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1433
I'd get a 12" dual 4 ohm JL Audio W6v2 and port it, 400W RMS sub and a great sub, within your price range as well.

Bronze Member

No, No Usa

Post Number: 13
hmm... the jl is a bit out of my price range actually. plus it seems that if i just got one (which might be feasible), id be overpowering it, and if i got 2 (which aint gonna happen) id be underpowering it? my amp is rated at 709w at 2ohms (mtx 6001). thanks for the recommendation though.
where do u think ur going to buy the v-maxes from, john smith? i found them for 187 shipped here: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13950
the site offers a 1 year warranty too. hopefully they're reliable. lemme know if u guys see em cheaper somewhere.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 229
prolly one of the best places right there. if not. ebay sells them for about the same brand new. not sure if you get the warranty. i would go with onlinecarstereo.com

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1455
Oops, I read the wrong amp up top, thought the 400W MTX you talked about was going on subs. For 600W RMS(really 700), I'd do a pair of Adire Audio Shivas, $125 each shipped, or the Vmaxes mentioned above.

Bronze Member

No, No Usa

Post Number: 15
is there any advantage to the dvc version over the svc of the vegas? i was looking at glasswolf's page and both the setups where he had vegas he used dvc's. can i wire the dvcs to two ohms? or just the svc... these voice coils confuse me.

Bronze Member

No, No Usa

Post Number: 18
bah i did some more research... just forget that last post.

Bronze Member

No, No Usa

Post Number: 19
ok here goes...
im really considering the adire audio shivas now. is it possible to wire 8 ohm dvc down to 2 ohms coming from my amp? i looked at the diagrams that jayj gave me, and there was no picture for 8 ohm dvc.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1483
For a pair of DVC 8 ohm subs, you just wire the voice coils in parallel, then the subs parallel to the amp for a 2 ohm load.

Bronze Member

No, No Usa

Post Number: 21
thanks jonathan, very helpful as always.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us