Type R's: 2 ohms or 4 ohms?

Username: Gti440

Post Number: 1
I'm lookin to get 2 Alpine Type R 12's and run them off a single sony mono amp. should i get the 1221 subs (2 ohms) or the 1241 (4 ohms). all i know is that at 2 ohms it alows more power....i think. is the sound quality any different?

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 104
that sony mono amp is stable at two ohms mono right? if so, then you should get the 1221. you can wire two of these to get two ohms to present your amplifier. and yes, 2 ohms would draw more power than 4 ohms. both of these models are exactly the same, no difference. only difference is the ohms on the coils.

Post Number: 2
yea the amp is the XM-DS1600P5. it puts out 900w continuous at 2 ohms, which should cover 2 of them right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
yea, that amp should be sufficient for two of the type r 1221's, since the sony amps i've heard are overrated. it may say 900 rms but i heard they are much lower. so really, you'd be overpowering them, since the type r's are 300 rms. two of them would be 600. i'm overpowering my type r's but they are taking the beating. just watch out with the gain settings and you should be fine.

Post Number: 3
should i go with a cheaper amp just to be safe?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
no way, if you get cheaper amp than sony, then don't. you'd rather use that sony. if not, then just buy a better one. just go with amps that are like 500-600 rms and you should be fine. maybe a jbl 600.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us