Are my subs blown?

Doug
Unregistered guest
I have 2 12" Alpine type S SWS-1241D subs and a jbl bp600.1 amp. I have my subs wired to 4 ohms. The amp puts out 150x2 at 4 ohms and my subs hold 200 watts RMS, so it shouldnt have blown my sub right? Oh yea by the way it only 1 of the subs that isn't working. The other one works perfectly fine but my other sub doesn't even seem like its working. Theres no sound coming out of it at all. They were both working when I bought them. Can anybody tell me whats wrong?

Bronze Member
Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 22
Well, there are 2 ways to blow your subs.... Overpowering them, and underpowering them. You probablly underpowered one of them too much, which is what I did with one of my JL's (May it Rest In Peace) Im sorry to tell you Doug, but it is quite possible that you underpowered it, and it blew. Sorry Man.

Doug
Unregistered guest
I heard that the sub will still work if its blown it will just sound really papery and crappy. My subs isn't even working. Theres no sound coming out at all. And also I could only underpower a sub by 50 watts and blow it and why would only 1 of my subs blow? Is there anything else it could be?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 230
test the speaker with an ohm meter to be sure

doug
Unregistered guest
where do I get one of those at and how do I use it?

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 105
from what i heard, you can't blow a sub by underpowering them. basically, if you underpower them, it's basically like playing the subs at really low volume. now you can't blow a sub by playing it at low volumes. the only two ways i know that a sub can blow is over powering them, and having them in a ported box that the subs can't handle the excursion. i've blown one of my subs before also. i had 2 15's hooked up and one of them died on me. it didn't sound papery like you said above. it just didn't put out any kind of sound at all. for me, i turn the gain too high. so maybe check your gain so you won't blow another sub next time.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 994
you can blow a sub underpowering but you have to be retarded

reason being...underpowering doesnt mean you blow it, its when you try to drive more power from the amp than it can give purely, so it starts to clip. this in turn will burn the voice coils over time and you have a blown sub

if your sub isnt playing at all, 99% sure its just a loose connection somewhere

take your sub out of whatever box it's in and make sure its all connected up :-)

Doug
Unregistered guest
Today when I was messing around with my wiring I switched which voicecoil the wires were connected to and my sub started working. It sounded fine but it wasn't very loud. Does that mean I blew a voicecoil and can that be fixed or is there anything I could do?

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 34
if u blew a voice coil u'd smell it trust me, go to a good intallation shop and get it checked, personally id get it rewired if its been a while

Doug
Unregistered guest
It does smell a little funny but I will get it checked out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us