Couple quesitons..share your input my friends !

Bronze Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 70
ok once i get my system hooked up, ill be runnin 600 watts to the subs (BP600.1 to 2 12" vmaxs) my question is how much do you think a new alt. is gonna run me because im pretty sure everyone would agree ill need a new one, and also, how can i tell what my box is tuned to? what information is needed? thanks alot guys, your help has been fantastic so far, keep it comming!

Bronze Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 76
I am really new to car audio, but if all you have is 600 watts and you need a new alt. then the one you have now must be made for a remote control car or something because 600 should not draw all the power from your alt. Also, personally id ont think you should go and get a new alt in any case unless you are exactly positive that you will need one.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 179
only way youll have a problem is if you have like a 60 amp alternator or something

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 71
haha i think standard for my GMC truck is like 100amps. so i wont need a new alt? thats awesome. i thought someone posted on one of my other threads saying that 600watts would make my lights dim off and on meaning theres not enough power..but who knows. thanks alot fellas. but does anyone know about box tuning and how i can see what mines tuned too?

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 454
You will prolly need a new alternator. I have a 01 Chevy Silverado that (had) a 110amp alternator and I still had to put in a new 160amp. Is your truck fully loaded?? As far as the tuning you will need to know the Cubic Airspace of the enclosure also the diameter of the tube and the length of it also. Good Luck

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
jay j were you running more than one amplifier 60 apm max draw which it wont reach is plenty low for a 100 amp alternator cuz my cousin has like a 70 amp alternator with 40 amp fused rated amp and his lights dont dim one bit

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
ryan heres a link to a site to help you figure out your port tune make sure you pick the right type of port which in your case is prob round

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 460
Sean what you are not thinking about is not ALL cars are the same. Some auto manufacturers do not leave any room for things like high out put stereo systems. If his truck is fully loaded then he is using about 80-90 amps so when you take that away from a 100amps you are not going to have enough power left for the amp. But you are right about what you said some manufacturers do leave quite abit of head room but not all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
ok my bad listen to jayj

thanks jayj

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1335
There have been cars with 80 amp factory alternators that dimmed off a 50x2 AB amp lol. Sad, but true, and proves you have to test the application ahead of time.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1336
Also, places like www.mralternator.com sells alts. for around $250, depends on how much power you get, though.

Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 10
if you get a cap does that alleviate the alternator issue?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1343
Nope. A capacitor will make matters worse as it will strain the alternator more. A capacitor is only to stiffen voltage rails and supply current for instantaneous transient peaks, it does nothing but this, it cannot fix a faulty charging system. The alternator is the main upgrade, capacitors see benefit AFTER the rest of the charging system is up to par.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 220
no, a cap is just a band aid, it will just mask the problem, it may help it a little bit, if your lights dont really noticably dim but you want to take a tiny bit of stress off your electrical system

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 79
http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

i dont understand how to use this website. im unfarmiliar with some of the terms and just plain confused lol. if anyone knows an easy way to tell me how to figure out what my box is tuned to it would be greatly appreciated. my boxs dementions (its for a truck so im not sure if that makes a difference) are:
H=16" L=58.25" TopDepth=5.25" BottomDepth=9.25"
1.14cuft per side. made out of 5/8" M.D.F. holes for the 2 vmax subs are 11" in diamter a piece. heres a pic if needed http://www.topedgeonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7378. thanks alot for your previous help, keep it comming!

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 116
ryan...i have that same amp and i also have a 98 chevy silverado...(100A stock alt)...i can tell you now that if your alt. has about the same output as mine did, then you WILL NEED A BIGGER ALT!!!

my jbl 600.1 amp dimed my lite...pretty bad...so i just put in a 180A (after i killed my stock one!)...the new alt made all the difference!!!

no more distortion w/ hard hits and certainly no dimming!!!

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 83
thanks for the advise marshall. i have heard many different opinions about wether ill need a new alt or not..but being that you have a newer silverado w/ the same amp..and jayj has a 91' silverado with the same amp..im pretty sure my lights will dim just as yours did. would you suggest the 180amp alt that you purchased, or would 160 be sufficient? also, where did you get your alt and was it brand new or a rebuilt one? ive seen new alts going for around 240$..but i was wondering what everyones opinons are on re-built ones? they seem to be alot cheaper, but do they preform as well?

also can anyone answer my box tuning question?

thanks

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 468
Ryan I have a 2001 and I got a 160amp from www.mralternator.com it was new. And it stopped the dimming problem. As far as the tuning I would leave it sealed. Thats how mine are and they sound GREAT. Good Luck

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 84
damn i was a confused individual. i thought that both ported and sealed boxes could be tuned just by dementions of the box..haha. learn something new everyday, thanks for the help jayj, i am leaving it sealed. and i think ill have to grab that 160amp alt too, looks like thats the best site to buy them from. thanks for all the help guys, ill post back when everythings hooked up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us