How much power?

Bronze Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 42
I have a 2000 VW Golf TDI with a stock alternator, i cant afford to buy a new alternator to power subs, im thinking about 2 10"s, how many watts do you think my alternator can handle without light-dimming effects?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 178
my brother had a 320 rms watt amp in his volkswagon and there was no light dimming thats all i can tell you for sure it was an orion 280 gx amp bridged (old school)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
thanks, that actually helps alot. my friend has a jetta and hes running one 12w3v2 off of 300w RMS and his lights dont dim. Im just worried my alt may suck alot cause the TDI has a 1.9 litre 90 hp engine.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 211
90hp...dear god, the other horses die?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
nope, haha, the TDI models are diesel, they have 1.9 liter turbocharged engines that put out 90hp. i didnt get the car for power or style, i got it cause it gets me 42-49 MPG, even if it is a 0-60 in 10.9...hahaha.

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
LOL (good one jeff)the other horses die no offense david

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
by the way david we better stick to 400 watts now that i see this

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
really? why, bc of the hp?

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 514
I wouldnt worry about the alternator

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
yea thats what i was thinkin cause its a diesel.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1402
Diesels usually have larger alternators because they don't crank as easily as gas engines (although they have improved) You probably have about a 100amp alt, I'm not sure, though. Remember that a 90 hp diesel is a lot different from a 90 hp gas engine, horsepower is torque*rpm/5454, diesels don't rev that high, so the horsepower won't look as impressive, but the torque is there. I'd bet he has close to 175 lb/ft of torque (yeah I know not huge, but better than a 90hp Honda or something). Maybe that'll cheer you up :-) Torque is more important than horsepower, anyway, since horsepower is simply torque x rpm. There's no telling how much system power your car can handle, though, every car is different, it depends on how many accessories you have. You really can't say unless you ask someone with the same vehicle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us