Big 3. what are they? newbie

pacavelizzzz
Unregistered guest
i just wanted to know what are the big 3 people talk about when refering to auido setups.. let me know ya all..and i love this forum dudes u people keep it down for reals

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1310
Ford, Chevy, and Dodge :-) Seriously, they're talking about the "big 3" wires in your engine compartment:
1) Battery negative to chassis
2) Alternator to battery positive
3) Chassis to engine
Basically they're talking about upgrading to larger size wires (such as 2 or 1/0 guage. A difference can be made, be it a small one, but it depends on your stock wiring, how much your alternator puts out, how much current draw you have, etc. They try larger wire to lower the resistance in the electrical system, and sometimes this can net a very small increase in voltage and amperage to the system. This will not fix the need for an upgraded alternator, though.

pacavelizzzz
Unregistered guest
hey jonathan i knew i could rely on u dude.. cheers.. and another thing i have a mercedes E class made in 1994 do u think i would need "Big 3" on this im only looking to power like 700 watts rms.. danks man

oh yeah and are u serious about ford being in the top three :-))

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 490
I say Chevy but Ford is in a category with Scooters

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1316
The Big 3 is considered the top 3 american automakers, it was a joke. My next car is going to be a 69 Fairlane with about 900 hp for a playtoy, I love classic Ford musclecars. I had a 67 Mustang with a 427 SOHC in it with over 800 hp, that was the Ford motor that got kicked out of NASCAR because it won too many races and had too much power compared to the competition. Newer Ford cars do suck, though (in my opinion), although their trucks are still pretty good. All newer cars in general suck to me, though, any of them you sling out there except certain German makes like Mercedes, Porsche, etc, but they still lack character compared to Classic cars, plus won't last as long in the long run. American trucks are the way to go, though, especially Diesels, my friend has a 91 Ford F350 that will roll to a million miles before too long.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1319
I've actually seen more new Chevys crap out before Fords, by the way, especially the new trucks once they moved to that smaller Vortec engine and got awa y from the 350, I've seen a lot of people with valvetrain and crank issues. My 83 C10 can outpull one of the newer Chevy trucks, plus it's much more reliable. Every car they came out with this year are just ungodly ugly, they hired the designer that created the PT Cruiser (not a fan of that either), but I'd fire him after looking at those a$$ ugly cars and trucks they created. Chevy has really gone down the tube lately.

Visitor#78
Unregistered guest
Agreed

ChevyGuy
Unregistered guest
I don't know Jonathan. I have yet to have any problems with my new Chevy and it puts my old Chevy (86) to shame lol. I haven't had any problems pulling around a 26 foot Bayliner. The old truck has lots of problems pulling it. ONly thing is the new one still has to have 4x4 to pull it up when the ramps are wet. But other then that it only goes in 4x4 when its in the mud.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1320
It's all in the package. If your truck came with a 305 it also explains it, really weak motor compared to a 350. Early fuel injection wasn't the greatest, either. The newer trucks seem to be relying on gearing more than raw low end torque, they accelerate better than the older trucks, but inmy experience the newer trucks just don't have the pulling power mine has. Mine is an 83 C10, I bought the truck from my dad for $500 and it was still running pretty good with nearly 350k on it. I recently rebuilt the motor to stock specs besides cleaning up the cylinder heads and intake and having the heads milled a notch, so it's a fresh comparison, I also rebuilt the carburetor. It didn't even have to be bored out, even after 350,000 miles, so I just had the cylinders honed and put fresh pistons and rings in there. Once you get some miles on a truck you'll lose power. Turbo 350 transmission was put in it over the stock overdrive, handles more torque and is much more reliable and simpler. Before I got my truck I used my girlfriends dads Avalanche a lot for towing cinder block because I'm building a shop. My truck has had much less trouble when the trailer is loaded down. The biggest problems I've seen with the newer trucks are in the valvetrain, I've had about 7 people that owned those trucks with similar problems, a ticking begins and the dealer won't fix it because "the truck still runs well and until it breaks the warranty won't cover it". My girlfriends dads truck totally blew the motor, due to an oil control problem in the cylinder head (got plugged and oil didn't drain down). I'm also not a fan of aluminum motors in a diehard vehicle like a truck, if it overheats pretty bad and your cylinder heads are pretty much shot.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 452
ChevyGuy your truck sounds weak. I have an 01 Silverado Z71 with the 350 and I have pulled a buddy's 39 foot cabincruiser up and down steep wet boat ramps and I have yet to spin a tire and thats without 4wd. Maybe you should invest in new tires. Also Johnathan I haven't had any problems with mine either guess I must have got one of the good ones lol who knows it may still screw up one day.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1333
I know what you mean, it just kinda turned me off of them saying I had so many people tell me they all had similar problems. Plus driving that Avalanche didn't impress me that much, but the Avalanche is a heavy truck compared to a Silverado, especially for that smaller motor. His is loaded, too. My truck also didn't roll off the line with a bunch of catalytic converters, EGR, and other control systems bogging the engine down and wasting space and weight, so not a totally fair comparison of power. Vehicles could get so much better gas mileage and power without them, personally I think cats are a waste of platinum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us