Eclipse CD8443 upgrade

Anonymous

I my car stereo consists of all JL speakers and amps, including the magnificent 10W7. unfortunately, the HU in my system is a pathetic SONY. Luckily, in a week i will be getting an eclipse CD8443 HU. Ive heard lots of good things about it, can anyone tell me how much better my stereos going to sound?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 217
you should notice a very big difference.
particularly going up to the Eclipse's 8V preouts.
Only real drawback is having to buy the separate Eclipse Commander module for MP3 decoding.

Anonymous

luckily im not planning on getting the Mp3 decoder. i was wondering, i know that mp3 has poor sound quality due to the compression of the data, but does the eclipse HU do anything to improve the SQ?

Post Number: 234
You'll never hear the difference with a well made MP3 at 128kbps or above.
Mine are all in the 192+ range and they sound just fine in a car. With the noise floor in a car you can hardly tell a difference anyway unless you're no good at making your MP3s.
programs like EAC with LAME codecs do everything for you though.
Anyway, having 15 hours of music on a CD is very nice on long trips.
compression for MP3 is 12:1, but the decoding is pretty standardized. The encoding is where it counts.
You can always add the Commander module later on, too. It does a lot more than just mp3 decoding.

Anonymous

i know the wiring on the eclipse is different from the sony, so will i need a new wiring harness? ive installed everything else in my car and im learning more and more about car audio every day, i never have actually traded out HU's before. i know how to do the wiring, i was just wondering if there is anything special i have to do for the tradeout?

Post Number: 253
it'll be easier to get new harnesses for $10
that way you get the color coding right on the package. you can solder all of the connections, shrink tube them, and plug it right in.

Anonymous

Hope you're still here, Glaswolf -- i've been looking all over the freakin place to try and find any kind of information on what the feature set of the eclipse commander is. You seem to know what it does; could you post a complete list of the benefits it offers? I currently have an eclipse 8051 deck, an eclipse 12cd changer, an eclipse 4x50w amp, punch 60, and want to add on mp3 decoding but was wondering what else the commander does. I may get the video unit instead; i'm not sure what benefits it gives; do you know if the video unit adds any mp3 abilities or if the commander can decode mp3s from the video units dvd drive??

Any info would be much appreciated

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1757
here ya go

http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_e-com.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us