551X Turning Off. Please help

Username: Ben_k

Post Number: 1
i just finished hooking up my 4 channel Rockford Fosgate 551X into my 12" Type R. I bridged it to 2 channels and wired a channel per voice coil, it sounds great however the amp is getting encredibly hot and is turning itself off. how can i prevent this? do i need to wire it differently? is there another solution? any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 643
Is your sub dvc or svc. 2 or 4 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 475
Rockford Amps are well known for getting hot (i have one). I would like to know how it is mounted and where in you car it is. It is best to mount you RF amp vertically. That will be best for cooling. I have had many problems with mounting RF amps horizontaly (flat). But you problem isnt wiring its cooling. Also if the amp is in a area that doesnt get air flow (from wind or what not) then it will cause problems.

Post Number: 2
its dvc. its just flat in the back of the station wagon on a board. now to try to help the cooling i put 4 3/4" blocks between the amp and the base board but i guess thats not enough

Post Number: 3
what can i do to help it cool so that it wont turn off?

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 92
are your coils 2 ohm or 4 ohm. if there 4 your straight if there 2 you cant wire them the way you have them. if there 4 ohm heres where you get creative. if you open a rockford amp there is alot of space inside to mount a fan. there like 7 dollars at radio shack or any computer store just get a small one. Wire it to you ground and remote turn on leads an you will be straight. you can even use the side of the ampmount on one each side, use one to pull air in and one to pull it out.

Post Number: 4
they are 4 ohm. ok thank you for all your help! if there are any other ideas dont hesitate to put them up! thanks again

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 477
Putting those 3/4" block should help. That would give the amp air flow to both sides. The air flow in a station wagon should be sufficient. Is there any where you could mount it Vertically? That would help out the most.

Post Number: 5
i just called the rockford fosgate technical support. they said that the 551X wasnt made to do what i am doing with it and there is no real way to help solve the problem. im just going to get an audiobahn 8002T and push 200rms to each voice coil. at least that has an intake system. any other suggestions on two channel amps? im putting the 551X on ebay

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 478
Thats not what i would have done but its your loss.

Post Number: 6
i havent done anything yet. what is your suggestion?

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 653
Here is what I would do. That sub is 300 rms and with the dvc 4 ohm you can run it at 2 ohm. This amp will be your best bet and proably about the cheapest you will find. Ok I just checked and he doesnt have any for sale right now but give him a day or so and he will have some. The xtant A3001 will give you 300 rms at 2 ohms and a perfect match for your sub. Here is his list of stuff for sale on ebay. Keep checking it and he will have one of the amps I mentioned above for 65.00 shipped. Ive talked to alot of people who have bought from him and no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=dependabledav id&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 480
Well i would work around the AMP you have now. I am almost positive that the problems you are having are because of ventalation, not wiring. If you could do some testing that would be good. Try mounting the amp verically to a board. Drive around for the same amount of time you did w/the horozontal way and see if it does it. If it does then we need to look into it but i am sure its the way its mounted. You have a great amp, i would work around it. And i certanly would never trade in a RF amp for Audiobahn anything.

Post Number: 7
i did mount it vertically and the same thing happened. the song will play for about 25 seconds and then the amp just turns itself off. its really annoying. i am thinking about getting this amp for it, it will be cheap and easy Sony XM-2200GTX. what are your thoughts?

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 659
Its his wiring. He has a 2 channel amp bridged at 2 ohms and its only stable bridged at 4 ohms so yea its time for a new amp that is stable at 2 ohms. IMO the amp I mentioned above would be your best bet or a P3001,301M would work well also.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1293
Go get a mono amp that will put out the recommended power at 2 ohms, generally the cheapest option as Class D amps are cheaper per watt. A JBL 300.1 is a cheap amp and very good, also optimized for a 2 ohm load. Very few 2 channel amps are stable to a 2 ohm bridge and will be the same as running a 1 ohm load on a channel, less headroom and worse sound quality, plus more current draw and more heat from the amp.

Post Number: 8
so, the amp is wired at 2 ohms... how? i swear that on it is capable at putting out 275w X 2 bridged at 4 ohms? is it worth trying to finda cooling fan?

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 481
OK, now that you've tried that, then its your wiring. I will bet you alot of money that if you buy a Sony or Audiobahn amp you will have more problems than what you have now. I would try to buy some kind of RF AMP. You could make some good money off that 551X, so basically trade your 4 channel in for a mono amp. That would work best. Its not worth the cooling fan.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 482
Try this, then you could sell the other amp for as much or even more than you bought this one for. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64572&item=5716957395&rd= 1

Wait to buy it though. Lets get some more opinions about it first.

Post Number: 9
do you think that an audiobahn 8000t mono would be good. i just called circuit city and they said that i needed 500-600 watts for the sub.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 484
Well i guess you could try it and see, i mean you could always return it. But never listen or take Circut City or Best Buy literally. Most to all those guys suggest you the worst option.

ffffffffffffffffffff
Unregistered guest
how do i wire a rockford fosgate 301m and a 15inch sub at 2 ohm?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us