What gauge ground wire?

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 66
I have a kicker 550.2 putting out 620 watts, and also a kicker 120.2 putting out 190 watts. 4g wire going to the dist block and then 4g from the dist block to the 550 and 8g from the block to the 120.

The question is, should I use a 4g wire to ground my 550.2? I only have an 8g grounding it right now..

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 614
The ground wire should be the same size as the power wire so yes change it to 4 gauge.

Username: Ncsubum

Post Number: 3
you'll be ok w/8 gauge...i've never had a problem w/running 8 gauge grounds (one 8 gauge ground for each amp). if you think about it...the current going in will partially go towards powering the speakers, a lot into heat, and the remaining goes back through the ground.

Visitor#78
Unregistered guest
Don't freaking listen to this Chris guy....If you don't want to damage your components (vehicle or stereo) use the same gauge as the power wire. You may not damage anything overnight, but over a little time you will.

ITend2Thump
Unregistered guest
I have my ground from my cap and amp at the same ground. Does it matter if its at the same spot, or should I split them up?

Username: Ncsubum

Post Number: 4
ok, whatever...don't listen to me i've had the same 170x4 rms for 5 years and 75x4 rms amp for 2 years...one 4 gauge running to the back split to an 8 gauge to each amp, and an 8 gauge ground from each amp. never blown anything in my car...EVER...and i'm very hard on my stuff...if you have a 4 gauge running to the back split to a 4 and an 8, i'm positive you will be ok w/ 8 gauge grounds...in every stereo i've ever helped install, we used 8 gauge grounds and there hasn't been any problems at all with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us