Quick Question about some wiring.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 84
I have a stick of neon that I would like to hook up by my sub box and I was wondering if it would be wise to put it with the remote turn on wire to power the neon?

Also, to ground an amp could I take the ground wire from the amp directly to the ground terminal for the battery? I'm thinking not...but is it wise to do that?

Bronze Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 40
The remote wire won't provide enuff power, I just hooked mine to a tailight wire, but I would suggest running a seperate wire from the fuse box.

Amp should be ground less than 2 feet from the amp. The closer the better.

Username: Justcrash

Post Number: 8
i wired up a neon in my trunk to my amp i grounded the neon where i grounded the amp and ran the power off the remote wire and have had no problems, the neon doesnt even dim

Silver Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 117
Jonez... where is it you said that you grounded your amp? like Koz said, it needs to be grounded very close to your amp, like if you pull back the carpeting on the sides of your trunk, there are bolts and metal, that's where i grounded mine. (always remove any paint or dirt first)

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 472
Never ground the AMP to you Black terminal of your car battery. They are not the same. It WILL short. Its a good thing you checked w/ us before.

Silver Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 122
I'm kinda supprised the amp has even worked, the amp i'm useing will go into protect mode if it doesn't have a sufficent ground. but connecting to a battery ground is no good. you need a large piece of body metal close to the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 189
yea its good fun grounding an amp, my amp kit only have me a 2 ft ground wire, i had to go out and buy 3 ft of 4Ga cable, that just pissed me off, i was 3in too short with the first ground wire...damn money hungry companies!

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 85
Oh, no it wasn't to the battery up front. It WOULD have been to a separate battery in the trunk right next to the amp.

I decided to just to run the neon from the back to a switch up to the front...close to my bass knob.

Thanks guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us