Question...

Bronze Member
Username: Pdivvy5

CT United States

Post Number: 60
I was wondering if say i buy a mono sub amp, and i have 2 subs. The RMS power of the amp is 155x1 at 4 ohms. Now, if i hooked this amp up, would each sub get 155 watts, or would each sub get 72.5 watts? I know this is a dumb question, but i need to know the answer...thanks

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 592
Then at 2 ohms it should be around 300X1-2 ohms. Now if you can only wire your subs to 4 ohms you will split that 155 in half and get the 72.5 you are saying.

What subs do you have?

Bronze Member

CT United States

Post Number: 61
2 JL W0's and i dont know what ohm version they are...i bought them used for $200 with a really nice box. What should i do?

Bronze Member

CT United States

Post Number: 62
im just not sure what amp to buy...should i just assume they are 4 ohms subs?

Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 2
Your W0's should say the impedance on the back. If you take them out of the box, and look on the backside of them, they should say __W0-4 or
__W0-8. The ones that I had were 10W0-4s, and I wired them up in paralell, and hooked them up to a 300 RMS amplifier @ 2 Ohms. If you have a mulitmeter, you could also switch it to the Ohm meter, and put the positive terminal on the Subwoofer's positive termilal, as well as the Meter's negative terminal on the subwoofer's negative terminal and it will tell you if it is a 4 or 8 Ohm.

Your amplifier will not power your subs very well. If your subs have 4 ohm voice coils, you can use that amp to power only 1. If your subwoofers have 8 ohm voice coils, You could wire it in series, and push 72.5 watts through both of them. JL W0's are very picky. If you do not run them to their specifications, you will blow yours up, just like I did to mine. Good Luck, and I hope I helped you.

Bronze Member

CT United States

Post Number: 63
im just not sure what amp to buy...should i just assume they are 4 ohm subs?

Bronze Member

CT United States

Post Number: 64
oops...i didnt mean to post that last one...thank you a lot. You helped me out a lot. Ill tell you how everything turns out

Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 5
No problem Patrick, I hope your subwoofers sound as great as mine did.

Now get out there, and turn some heads.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us