2-way, or 3-way

wut is the difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers?

if you mean coaxial and triaxial, a coaxial has the tweeter mounted over top of the midrange driver. a 3 way or triaxial has two tweeters over the midrange, making the driver brighter for higher frequencies like symbols and such.

if you mean for components, a 3 way component set has usually an 8" midbass driver, a 4"-6" midrange driver, and a tweeter.
a 2 way component set has a midrange, usually 5" or 6", and a tweeter.

Username: Kure

Post Number: 12
so which is louder an clearer for midrange
i'm thinikin of 2 6 1/2 an 2 6x9 for mids and high
so in my case where my 6x9(infinity kappa) an 6"(infiniti kappa) wont play bass
which is better for mids an highs an which one is louder 2 way or 3 ways

cuz subs would play my bass

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 833
between two speakers, one being two way, one being three way, they both will have the same midrange driver.
the three way will be brighter though.
3 ways are best up front with two ways in back

Username: Kure

Post Number: 13
so make the 6x9s in the back 2 ways an the 6" in the front doors 3 way ?

Post Number: 841
yes

alp14
Unregistered guest
i'm having trouble deciding on some new front components. i'd appreciate some advice.

my system is currently: alpine cda-7998 (pre-amp only), jl300/4 to jl XR525 sep's in the front doors (factory locations) and jl xr525 coax's in the rear doors, and a jl 10w6v2 (sealed) with a jl 500/1.

my current speaker set-up just isn't doing it for me. i cheaped out before and didn't spring for custom kicks, but now i know i have to. i figure that i'll rip out the rear spkrs and dedicate the JL 300/4 to the front stage. (i cant run any more amps, my car's alternator couldnt handle it, already have 2fd's of monster caps) but i'm not sure whether to go with a new set of high-end 2-ways (like the boston z, new jl ZR, sub-$1000 dynes) or a 3-way set (boston pro653, mb premium pce210's with the add on 6.5", jl xr653, can't afford the sick dynes). what would be the big difference in sound from a high-end 2-way to these pretty high end 3-ways? i'm primarily a SQ guy. i dont trust what i hear at the stores, its never the same in the car.

i'm somewhat limited in my selection of gear, i'm able to get discounts through my work on certain brands. again, any general advice on sound difference of the 2-way vs 3-way would be great. thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1294
you can get the DynAudio System 360s for ~$800 on-line
those are what I'm considering myself.
they'll take 200 watts per channel.
you'll get a flat soft high end from Dyns, good midbass of those 8s are in a good location and mounted well.. fantastic flat quality response.

Unregistered guest
i want to replace me stock speakers on my toyota. i have two tweeter (stock) in the front and a subwoofer (stock)in the back, what should i get? 2 way in the front and three way in the back? or vice-versa?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2156
3way in front
2way in back

or better yet separates in front (midrange/tweeter and crossover module) and 2way coax in back

Unregistered guest
i'm looking to buy some 6x9's, but i would like to know which ones are better for handling bass, 2 ways or 3 ways.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2503
doesn't matter
the only difference is one tweeter or two in them.
3 ways are brighter.
both suck for bass.
get subs

Anonymous

isn't the 2-way a midrange woofer w/ a tweeter

while the 3-way is a midbass woofer w/ a small (2" or so) midrange driver and a 1" (or so) tweeter? sometimes called a supertweeter?

Bronze Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 68
There are 3-ways made both ways -- "Mid, Tweeter, Supertweeter" and "Mid (low), Mid (high), Tweeter".

The latter is generally what's on a "triaxial" and only provides brighter highs, while the former is usually a on 3-way component setup (about double the price) and emphasizes a wide midrange.

-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 185
I personally would use 3 ways up front and not worry about the back since you dont sit in the back. Your subwoofer will usually over power any speakers in the back and you usually wont hear them anyways. So try a nice 3 way set up front like some infinity and you should be set. Then if you feel the need to do back ones do them but I dont think you will need to. Ive owned cars and trucks and have never put speakers in the back except for subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 69
Whoops, hey, got those backwards; supertweets are generally on triaxials, etc.

-matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us