Jonathan

erik123456
Unregistered guest
Eclipse Titanium 12 4 ohm 400
JL new W6 2 ohm 330
JL new w7 560
or RE tripXXX 400

this is what i finally narrowed it down to and those are the best prices ive found on them all
for the titanium if i just have one can i have the 4 ohm sub? -- im still looking for a ported box

if its not too much trouble can you give a pro con little sentence for what you think about each sub

thanks bro
E

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 413
Forget the JL Audio cause they are just plain out over priced. The RE x.x.x will beat them all.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 990
ill go with JJ on this one

erik123456
Unregistered guest
so the RE is better than the Titanium?

even at the same price....if you guys werent going RE what would you pick

erik123456
Unregistered guest
guess jon has the day off lol

erik123456
Unregistered guest
RE never emailed me back and i think im ruling out JL so its between the TDX and the Titanium

Im leaning towards 2 Eclipse SW9122 Titanium 12"
are these the best titaniums there are?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1198
Working overtime unfortunately, there are so many idiots in this world. I got called in the other week and the only problem was that a breaker tripped. Oh well, I get 4 hours pay everytime I get called in, even if it's only for 15 minutes lol. Hmmmm. It depends on what you're mostly aiming for. Exclude the W6 altogether. The X.X.X will take the SPL crown between these, the SQ is subjective. I like the Titanium the best out of these, but that's just me and I recommend you try to listen to all of them if possible. They're all great subs, and you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them. As far as the best titaniums, the Eclipse Titanium Pro is the top of the line, and it'll have more SPL than an X.X.X., but costs considerably more and requires a lot more power (3000W RMS, underrated). As far as pros/cons, none of them really have any cons about them, they're all build excellently, it all boils down to personal taste and your goals. You can have a 4 ohm sub as long as the amp puts out the recommended power at 4 ohms, in the case of the Titanium, 750W RMS (I'd do a little more, that sub is underrated).

erik123456
Unregistered guest
ok thanks a lot man i have heard the titaniums and i love em and im going with 2 of the 4 ohm tita. 12s

as far as this amp business what kinda amp should i go with..? im ordering the eclipse subs and head unit as we speak

and what would be the best ported box to put them in?

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 202
1500 RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms. find an amp that can do that.

or find a 2 channel amp that can do ~800RMS bridged. since they are 4 ohm you cannot hook one mono amp to one sub or you would waste your money on another since you would double the power paralleling the subs anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 203
unless you get a regulated amp like JL

erik123456
Unregistered guest
any examples of these amps and will they cost an arm and a leg? i undertand most of this talk but amps i have no clue on

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1209
Just get a mono amp that puts out 1500W RMS at 2 ohms. The Eclipse amp that would do well with it is the DA7122, it puts out 1000W RMSx2, like I said above those subs are underrated, but just make sure to be careful if you put them in a ported box. That amp comes with a subsonic filter, so it'll work with ported very well. Do you want more sound quality or loudness?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1210
Oops, wrong info on that amp, it's a 2 channel Class D, it's 500Wx2 with 4 ohm subs. Sorry. You'll need more power than that, or DVC 4 ohm subs.

erik123456
Unregistered guest
i want decent quality but i want it to boom

so what amp should i look for if thast the wrong one?
and where is the best place to get a box for the 12s

erik123456
Unregistered guest
http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=62121

says its 2000 W on this site

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1215
X out what I said above, the one I was meant to say was the DA7232, it's a 2 channel Class D, 500W RMSx2 @ 4 ohms, 1000Wx2@2 ohms. On the 7122 you linked to, that 2000W they list is a max power rating on that amp, it's 1000W RMS@ 2 ohms.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1217
By the way, a good, rock solid amp for a good price is the MTX 1501D. 1500W@2ohms, perfect for those subs.

erik123456
Unregistered guest
lol that amp is a pretty penny 1200 bucks plus tax and install if i back off my 2 12 titaniums for 1 15 titanium could i still use a similar amp? would the SPL be comparable? this would save me 300 bucks atleast just on the sub

erik123456
Unregistered guest
sweet that one is under 500 jonathan you are the man! its like you read my mind

any insight on the 1 15 vs 2 12s

erik123456
Unregistered guest
ok dude the hu & subs are on the way and im trying to find a good deal on the amp they are on ebay for like 340 + 27 shipping

so now i just need the box
are these ok? i want a sweet ported box...
http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/subzone/subzone_eclipse.shtml

Bronze Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 77
i have the mtx 81000 d it was the amp modle before the 1501d i did see that the dampening factor is less than the 81000d though instead of 200 its 100 now with the 1501d i heard its better to be higher in that area but the amp still should be ok. ps...you need either a dual 4 ohm coil speaker or two 4 ohm single voice coil speakers with the mtx amp to get the full 1500 watts at 14.4 volts. Just thought you should know. I paid 320 shipped for my 81000d brand new on ebay.

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
are the eclipse titanium 12s gonna work?

im retarded at this stuff...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
if you are buying two 12 inch 4ohms with single voice coils each yes; or one dual 4 ohm voice coil 12 yes.

thanks,

in search of bass

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1221
He bought two SVC 4 ohm subs, or plans to anyway. It's a solid amp, and puts out well above it's rated power, you'll see that on the birth sheet, I've seen many put out between 1700-1800W RMS. The difference of damping is negligible, but the 81000 is a great amplifier as well, and he can probably find one cheaper, anyway. Subzone makes very nice enclosures. As far as the single 15" vs. 2 12's, the excursion is the same, the 15" will drop lower, the 12's may hit a tad harder, but not by much at all, especially with those subs as they have huge surrounds (cutting into the surface area, the 12's suffer from more surface area loss than the 15"). The surface area of the 15" would nearly match that of the two 12s. Not to mention you'd only need half the power. The 12's on the other hand, would have a little better SQ when reaching the midbass region, also bass will be tighter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
johnathan and erik the mtx 1501d can be modified if you open it up to produce 1800 watts rms at higher than 14.4 volts think at 16 volts. My birth sheet on my 81000d said like 735 rms at 12.5 volts and 800 at 14.4 volts i think . The amp produces this at 4 ohm bridge. Now if you go 2 ohm bridge the birth sheet said 1273 rms at 12.5 volts and 1500 rms at 14.4 volts. I checked my math to make sure and if erik runs two four ohm dual voice coils on that amp hes only going to be able to wire a four ohm load at 800 rms or a 1 ohm and from factory its only stable to 2 ohm.

thanks,

in search of bass

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Heres a link to jl audio showing ohm load results.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
so the 15" titanium is cheaper than the 2 12s and needs less power and produces roughly the same sound.... should i tell my friend to switch out my order? i think the 15 is 499 as oppossed to 399 a piece for the 12s and could i still use the mtx 1500 amp

im torn, your post about 15s makes thems seem like a more attractive option for a variety of reasons plus the enclosure is only a couple bucks more

you guys are a ton of help thanks

E

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
ok heres the deal you can use one 15 or one 12 hooked in parallel to get a 2 ohm bridge but you will have 1500 watts rms at full gain on the amp potentially depending on voltage and just turn down the amplifier gain or you can run a memphis audio 16 mc1000d amplifier and have the option of adding another eclipse titanium and have 1100 watts rms at 1 ohm this amp also has a subsonic filter and the mtx doesnt but the memphis only has an 18db per octave crossover verses the mtx's 24 db per octave.

this is memphis audios site for the amp

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=25

this is the amp on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5715046725&rd= 1

384 shipped

erik123456
Unregistered guest
sweet ill check it out thanks a lot sean, is this the best bang for the buck?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1235
Eclipse Titaniums are only DVC 4 ohm, I just remembered this, oops, sorry. So with the 2 12s you can only have either a 1 or 4 ohm load. I forgot about this when mentioning that MTX amp. Personally in your situation (if your components are up to par, capable of dropping to at least 80 hz accurately) I'd do the single 15" or a single 12" and give it 800W RMS, give or take. Ported box tuned to 27-30 hz for the your preference, note this is for SQ. An MTX 801D would power it well for a budget, and for the subsonic filter, Harrison Labs F-Mods (20 hz) would work well. You could also dish more money out on a better amp since you'll save on the subs. Here's the pros and cons of the 15 vs. 12 issue, you can decide on your own about that:
15" Pros:
More displacement, almost as much as the 2 12s, same excursion, so SPL will be similar, maybe 1-2 db within each other.
Less power to get that SPL, less current draw.
Better reproduction of really low frequencies, will drop lower more accurately and have less distortion at super low freqs.
15" Cons:
Midbass transition. The 15" will have more cone resonance and added mass, so the sub isn't going to play 80-100 hz as accurately as a 12"
2 12" Pros:
More SPL with two of them, subs will be tighter, 12" subs are the jack of all trades for sub size, and will drop low accurately as well.
Better midbass transition, they will blend in better if you use components that can't play midbass accurately.
Cons:
More power to get that SPL in your case. You'll get around twice the current draw.
Poor wiring options in your case. An amp with a 1 ohm load will have worse SQ and strain harder (heat, less headroom) and pull more current than an amp running at 2 or 4 ohms. An amp that puts out 1500W RMS at 4 ohms, be it mono or a bridged 2 channel, is going to be very expensive.
More costly for 2 12's to get a mediocre bit more output.
There you go, and you can choose accordingly. I actually prefer 12's, but they are more costly to run. A single Eclipse 12" Titanium may be more than enough to suit your tastes, although it will have less SPL than the 15", it will have better SQ and require about the same power. sean, as far as 16V goes, you'll likely damage the components in the rest of the vehicle. Most vehicles components are designed to operate within 11-14 or 15V, especially stock components such as computer, A/C, etc. Not something you want to mess up, and not worth the extra power. You also don't bridge a mono amp, although those MTX's have two terminals, it's solely for wiring ease and they still lead to the same channel. The amp is a mono channel and only sees the load applied to it, it doesn't have two channels thus you can't bridge it.

erik123456
Unregistered guest
i think you have sold me on the 15 just bc it will save some $ without sacrificing much spl....

the subzone enclosures are tuned to 37 though it this more for spl and the numbers you quoted are more geared towards sq

i have the head unit and i switched my order to 1 15" titanium and im going to try to find a bargain on the amp
so now im concentrating on finding the filter and ported box you have saved me prob over a thousand so far guys this forum is the bomb

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1243
I'd personally build the ported box or have an installer build it, you've saved enough money to have one built and you can get a better quality enclosure. I'd do 1" MDF on at least the driver side since it's such a strong sub. Email Eclipse for best ported box dimensions as I can't remember them. Do a google search for F-mods, they are very cheap and work well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
i knew that concerning the bridging jonathan. As for the 16 volts the guy at nationals did it with two 8 volt batteries i think and modded the amps to accept 16 volts he said they produced an extra 300 watts at the 16 volts each hence 1800 watts rms per amp (1500 watts at 14.4 volts) but i no this can lower on draw which is why he hit three db less on his second burp.

thanks,

in search of bass

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1247
That's a comp though, not for a daily driver, and solely for burping. The competitor isn't too worried about the rest of the car's electronics.

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 77
Would a Kicker Comp be ok for a daily driver?

erik123456
Unregistered guest
i just stumbled across the pro 15" is it a ton better than the regular 15" i had never heard of it till i just reread one of your posts

i promise this is my last sub related question lol im lucky the guy is my buddy and he will let me change my orders otherwise id have the 12s now lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
your looking at a dual 1 ohm voice coil subwoofer that handles 3000 rms your going to need one big amplifier or two amplifiers one on each coil but also keep in mind youll need an alternator for all this if you do it too. Thats one heck of a subwoofer i cant blame you for looking at it.

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
that sounds sweet but a lil extreme think ive decided on the lesser 15 thanks sean

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
your welcome let me know how you set up the woofer and what amp and how it hits spl wise if you get it metered.

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
will do, are you in favor of the 8100 or the 1500 mtx to push it? -- ive looked around and is the 8100 discontinued?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
if you want to watch your alternator go with the 801d which is the newer model or the 6500d which is the older model the 6500d is from the year my 81000d is from the 1501d replaced the 81000d the 6500d and 801d have 75 amp fuse ratings I suggested to 6500 because you can save some money on ebay for that one plus its got a different chrome and black layout than the 801d and i like the old style better

picture of old style

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5716306163&rd= 1#ebayphotohosting

picture of new style

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5715697355&rd= 1

cheapest 6500ds

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5715228110&rd= 1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5716306163&rd= 1

your choice check out sellers ratings

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
the 6500 seems like a heck of a deal...199 is not bad at all for an amp, and this will work well with the sub and be able to power it fully?

erik123456
Unregistered guest
what did you mean by watch my alternator?

so i need the sub and head unit which are already decided...

then the 6500 (or other) and a filter and a box
what is the best possible box for an eclipse 15

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
you bet this will power that subwoofer well and what i meant was if you dont have an alternator big enough to supply the draw of the amp you will be diming lights and drawing on your battery. Find out what size your alternator is.

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
its an expedition eddie bauer so im guessin it has a big alternator, but ill check out all that stuff
im gonna go with the 6500 thanks bro

erik123456
Unregistered guest
just bought the amp for 199 its the 6500
now just need the box

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
you should have a 100 amp alternator id imagine but with an amp for your highs you might have some dimming if you do you can buy a batcap and skip a cap they are 130 bucks plus shipping on eaby i think.

thanks,

in search of bass

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
your welcome erik i no youll be happy.

thanks,

in search of bass

erik123456
Unregistered guest
any ideas on a good place in texas for the 15 box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
erik what box size and port did jonathan suggest and what port tune i can help you build one.

thanks,

in search of bass

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
by the way i just went to a comp and heard two speakers like yours hit 144 db i think. With a 1000 watt xtant but think it puts out more than 1000 at 14.4 in a suv like yours ported in the 30s somewhere the guy didnt no for sure.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1271
For the Titanium, a good size ported box would be around 3.5-5 cu ft net depending on what you're after, I'd do about 4.75 tuned to 35 hz for SPL, if you go for more SQ, About 3.5 net tuned to 26-28 hz. Sealed, 3 cu ft gross is good. As far as the Titanium Pro, it lists the same excursion as the Titanium, the main benefit is a stronger motor, but it's mainly an SPL designed sub while the Titanium is a good balance of both. I actually like the regular Titaniums better for daily driving, better SQ and less power requirement. The 15" Titaniums in a ported box are capable of about 150 db if the box and amp are good enough, also depends on vehicle.

erik123456
Unregistered guest
im only getting 1 titanium....
should i get 2 ? will one not be loud enough

erik123456
Unregistered guest
i know one will be loud but i will pissed if i spend 1000 plus and im hitting like 138 or something lol bc i could get that with some of those 5 dollar dr krunks or whatever lol

i want to hit atleast high 140s

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1277
Like I said, one is capable of 150 if the car is right, and the boxes and amps are right.

erik123456
Unregistered guest
sorry dude... i saw the s on the end of titaniums and thought you were referring to 2 15s not 1...

im hyped if i can be around 148 then im estatic!

as far as local dealers i can get it for 699
online for 499 -- is it worth the 200 for the extended warranty or should i just go with online purchasing?

erik123456
Unregistered guest
are these aluminums??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487862630&ca tegory=46093

if not thats a sweet deal

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1281
That's an aluminum, he's trying to trick people into thinking they're Titaniums. Titaniums have a larger motor, a different basket, and also a much larger foam surround, and a metal wire mesh type cover on the basket. Yeah, I'm sorry, I did make it sound plural above. That 15" ported should sling you above 150 if you have the car for it. If not, high 140s are definately doable.

erik123456
Unregistered guest
im pysched !! my amp should be in today, and i talked to a custom installer who will get me the sub and build a custom box to specs and what ever frequency i want

im looking forward to stomping the w7's and being a little unique you guys have been an awesome help ill let you know how the numbers end up, im guessing ill have them in about a month or so

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
sweet buddy im definately intrested in those spl numbers you hit and the characteristics of the over all music sound.

thanks,

in search of bass

Bronze Member
Username: Kickercomp

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 52
jonathan, u mean the 15" titanium can only do 150dB if done right? i did 149.5dB on sunday at the SLAP show in tampa with 1 13w7. a 15 should be alot louder than a 13.
and how many watts are u giving to that sub ?

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 52
Eclipse Titanium. too much reading above

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1291
I'm just saying it should hit at least 150, I'm not going to guarantee anything above that as it's dependant on too many things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
kicker comp what amp? what size box? what type sealed or ported? what tune frequencies? how much power? what type of car? what frequency did you hit the 149.5 at?

i know alot of questions just trying to figure out something.

thanks,

in search of bass

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 54
2.375 cuft. ported box, 1000/1 amp, 1998 explorer xlt, box is like 30hz and i played a 50-40hz sweep.
ill be able to do a 150 at the next comp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
thanks bud i appreciate the reply congrats on the 149.5. ps....theres a guy on whitley mag that hit 155 with two 13 w 7s but i love to see the single speakers catch the double keep testing hehe

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
are you going to change your port tune cuz that seems low cuz from what ive seen you usually peak about 5 hz above port tune looks to me like you may have found your resonant frequency for your car where your box is.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 55
naw cause it sounds great for everyday and it can go low, and i can still enter a comp and win, instead of having a system that u only play for comps.
i have one first in every comp ive been in

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
do a swappable port set up like i did

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
then you can find your best tune for spl and put it in then swap back out to your every day port i use an portable spl meter to find mine then you can hit more at comps and you cant get any better than in car testing

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
actually i do swapable sealed and port setup on the same box but i figure all youd care about is port esp since yours is already built
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us