Dist block

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 49
I asked this question a while ago, but I am still confused. I have a kicker 550.2, and a kicker 120.2. I have a distribution block I hope to use to connect the two of them. I am completely clueless as to how I should put the wires through the Dblock.

There are two sides to the Dblock, the left side is bigger than the right side. The left side is one big block that has three holes, each are sized for 4g wire. In the place where the 3 holes intersect in the middle of the block there is a screw that I suppose secures the wire. Now directly behind this block there are two skinny things, and I have no clue what they do. On the right side of the Dblock there are two minature blocks that look like they fit either 8g or 10g wire. There is a screw that secures the wire in each of these blocks, and there are also the skinny thing behind each block.

Anyways, do I put the power wire into the top of the big T block, and then the two wires to the amps coming out of the sides of the T? Would I make them all touch and then secure them all? Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
bump

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 153
on one side of the block there is a whole for your power wire, you jam your power wire in that side, on the other side you should have 2 holes for more wire, most likely smaller, somewhere like 8ga, throw your new wire into those outlets and connect the new 8ga wqires to your amps, 1 wire to each amp... it should look something like this

-----(0)====

roughly...the --- being your power, the (0)being the distro block and the === being your new 8 ga power cables...yea i'm a great artist!

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 143
this whould have been better ----[~]======

Silver Member

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 154
phhh...people and your technicalities! i could've drawn it in pait as well!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
you just confused me.. By what you said, the plastic would have to conduct electricity. There is no metal connecting the left 4g side and the right 8g side.

Plus I was told to use 4g wire from the dist block to the amps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
This is what your thinking of..

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcompare/accessories/Accessories_fullSize.asp?ke y=163

but this is what I actually have.. dunno if I can use it

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcompare/accessories/Accessories_fullSize.asp?ke y=162

Where the big block is on the back side there are three 4g outlets. And does anybody know what the skinny things are sticking up?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Ok I have gathered that the two skinny things hold a fuse. I suppose that I attach the 4g to the left side and then two 8g on the other side and use the two fuses to connect them. Anybod know what size fuse I should buy? There will be a 620 watt amp for one fuse and a 190 for the other.

Also... is there a place ont he HU to connect two remote turn on wires? Or do I do something else?

Bronze Member
Username: Grantley

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 20
Just connect your 2nd remote wire from your 1st amps remote wire terminal. So you'll run just one from your head unit to one amp and then run a jumper from the 1st amp to the 2nd.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 21
How many fuses are there on the amps? Normally there will be 2 or 3. Look at the fuse rating (the number on the end) that is on them (15, 25, 30 just for an example. Add all those up and that is what size fuse you'll want to put in your dist. block. I had a USAcoustics amp and that had 3 25 amp fuses so my main fuse on my distribution block needed to be 75 amps but of course they don't make 75 amp fuses, so I got 80. Safe and secure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Actually.. you would be more safe and secure get less amp fuse =/

on one amp the fuses add up to 70.. on the other 25. So are you POSITIVE thatI can use a 70a and 25a fuse?

Also are you positive that the remote wire thing will work? I am a bit cautious, I don't want to mess anything up.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 23
I've wired up so many amps that way... It's just like an extension cord in your home. And no you wouldn't be safer with less fuse rating. Fuses only really become a safeguard against a short if your power wire or remote wire somehow comes in contact with any other metal in your car and that fuse will blow instead of your amp frying if the fuses on the amp don't do their job and blow. That's all a fuse is really used for. If you replaced an 50 amp fuse with a 10 and it blew then you're out a fuse. You'd be wasting money obviously. With car audio your amp is gonna be a power hungry fiend. The more wattage you want going to your speakers, the more power that amp is gonna need. The path of least resistance is going to be your salvation here. You're gonna run your 4 gauge power cable from your battery to your distribution block, attach it to that one 4 ga input and then run your 8 ga wires out to your amps. You'll be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 37

I drew a little diagram of a very simple d-block... this is how most all d-blocks work, some have fuses n' such... but this is how things work

Bronze Member

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 38

I'm not entirly sure how to upload pics on here...lolUpload

Silver Member

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 155
ok so thats a better drawing then mine...show off

Bronze Member

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 39
I try i try...

Username: Tom_k

Post Number: 4
Hey,lets say you need two 4g power wires coming OUT? Would you use a 0 or 2 guage coming in? Or just use a 4 guage coming in,and two 6g coming out.

Bronze Member

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 41
well, you can get d-blocks for about any size cable, most 0-g d-blocks run with three 4-g cables commin out.

a 4-g in with two 6-g out should work

0g is a bit expensive if you don't 'really' need it.

if you have a d-block with fuses, make sure the fuses can run that much power through them before you put huge cable in and out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us