Equalilzers...who needs 'em?

edster922
Unregistered guest
...OK, that was kind of a rhetorical question.

I find that when I really crank up my system, it sounds best with my EQ set to Flat, i.e. turned off, no matter what type of music I'm playing. At low volume yes many types of music might sound better with some tweaking, but at even 50% of max volume it just sounds better w/o EQ.

What's been your experience on this?

kklagge
Unregistered guest
My experience is the same. At higher volume levels I set my EQ to "flat" and usually leave it set to "Rock" at lower volume levels - Kenwood unit presets

Unregistered guest
Are you all talking external or internal?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1266
The reason for this is that the speakers aren't as dynamic with less power, that is why the loudness function is used in many head units (yes that's what it's for, not for the guys trying to get easy cheap bass out of crappy speakers at clipping volume levels :-) ) I personally have a 1/3 oct. EQ for each channel set to be dead flat in my normal listening range, but this pertains well up to max power, and well below it as well. The speakers contribute as well, I use Dynaudios, which have an extremely flat curve and neutral sound characteristics, perfect for revealing EVERYTHING in your music. A lot of EQ's in head units are inaccurate, and choose poor frequencies to boost, it also depends on your mounting location and the resonances of the vehicle you're using. I bet if you run a spectrum analyzer, even with the EQ off on your head unit your response is far from flat. Just food for thought :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us