Help!!!! What the hell is wrong???

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 75
Okay....Here goes.

I have this single Polk DB10 (like 5 years ago DB series, not the new ones)in a .85 cu. ft. sealed box. In my Saturn it was powered by a Bazooka EL1500, 300wRMS and all was working when removed from the car. The Saturn ended having the alternator go out, don't know if it had anything to do with the amp, I doubt it the car was just old (10yrs). This stuff was removed shortly after that. Could any of that have damaged the sub??

I discovered that the Bazooka amp wasn't working when I went to hook it all back up in my current vehicle. In the mean time I was running this 10" off a on old Kenwood 606 @ 150wRms. Surprisingly, with the gain turned all the way up *laugh* it hit pretty hard for a compact car.
Could running this 300w sub at 150w with gain up all the way have damaged the sub?

The reason I'm wondering is this:

As many of you have read recently, I purchased a Polk Momo C300.2 550rms @ 4ohms. I decided to hook that up to my little Polk 10 and it hardly moves the cone. It doen't matter if I turn the gain up to half or leave it all the way down, sounds the same. Subsonic filter and pre-EQ are on off and bypass respectively.

This is what I've changed:

-I just ran a 4 gague wiring kit through the car.
-This amp has a 60Amp draw vs. the kenwood 30
-I moved where the ground is connected.

On the Amp the power light is on. The "thermal" light is not illumiated neither is the "low power/Ohm" light.

Any thoughts? Too much power? rear of box where magnet is got a little warm, pretty quick, then again I've never felt it previous to know when there was a problem.

HELP!!!!

FNG

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 544
Sound like to me your sub voice coil has went back. What will happen is no matter how much juice you give the sub it will barely move but will move. Sounds like the sub is gone.

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 77
So, did I give it too much juice???

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 79
I was using it fine, right up until I hooked up the more powerful amp.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 545
Ive had it happen to me. Sounds like the voice coil is gone. Take the sub out and smell it and see if it smells burnt. So are you gonna take the suggestions and do whats on that other site or did you go with the P3.

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 80
Sh*t I don't know. I'd like to hear a P3. I wonder if they'll hook one up for me to listen to.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 551
Im sure they will. Go over there and ask em. Or go to www.rockfordfosgate.com/forums and ask them over there.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 264
Do you know your way around a multimeter? If so, check the coils resistances and get back here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us