Newbie Needs help

Username: Qyiot1

Boston, Ma

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I'm trying to install my own stereo system and I need some help. I'm installing a sony head unit. I have 2 10" alpine s type subs and 2 mono alpine amps, One to power each sub. I also have a 1 farad capacitor and a 3rd amp, 4 channel alpine to power the 4 speakers in the front. I know where I want to mount everything I'm just having trouble with the wiring. I purchased the monster cable kit with the distributor block. but I need the wiring for the capacitor and the speaker wire. What I'm not sure about is the cap. Do I only connect the cap to the two amps that will be powering the subs? or do I connect it to all three amps somehow? Maybe if I can draw a diagram and someone can tell me if I'd be wiring it correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Boston, Ma

Post Number: 2
Also, Let me know if this is a decent system. I want a crisp sound, nothing trunk rattling.

Bronze Member
Username: Invain

Post Number: 52
You might need a new alternator too if your running 3 amps and a cap. You should find out the total amps you would be drawing max, and find out how big your alternator is.

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 12
That sounds like a decent system... depending on the vehicle you are puttin it in... and the watts n' such.the head unit should come with a wire map, though if you are new at installing it... becarful not to fry anything important. As well, what kind of cable are you running from the battery? you'll need a lot of power for all that equipment.

Boston, Ma

Post Number: 3
Someone mentioned that that will be a lot of power and suggested that I purchase the Optima Gold Top Battery. Will that take care of the alternator issue?

Bronze Member

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 27
Well if you run the system directly from a seperate battery, that should take care of the alternator. The reason you don't want to run all of that straight from the stock alternator is that not only is it supposed to keep the car systems going, but to run that much more power from it really puts strain on it.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1194
The battery will have more capacity, but that won't fix a faulty charging system. What will happen is that battery would eventually drain just like any other would, just at a slower rate, then you'd be back to square one needing an alternator. A capacitor won't fix the problem, either.

Boston, Ma

Post Number: 4
Any Suggestions on what I should do? Do I need to get a different alternator? If so, How do I get the one I need. I have a 94 Accord. Thanks for all the input so far.

Bronze Member

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 45
#1 ask local Auto Salvage yards (Yellow pages)
[If you know how to install it, or know someone that does... this is much cheaper]
#2 go to the Mechanic
[If you can't do #1 this is the alternate, may turn out to be more $$ than you want to spend...]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us