Question on ported box for sub

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 516
I have a sub that requires 2.00 cu ft for the sub. What if the box is 2.25 cu ft will that be ok or will it affect the sub since its a little bigger. Thanks.

It say 1.25-2.00 cu ft.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1132
It could affect this a little, but not by a lot. If you run WinISD you'll see the difference, response may be a bit more peaky at the tuned frequency.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 517
What do you mean more peaky. Louder or what. Thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1139
Peaky can be louder at the tuned frequency, or it can be just loud at that frequency with a drop off at every frequency outside the tuned frequency. The best way to tell is to run WinISD to see the response. If you plan to lower the tune of the port, then adding port length will decrease the net volume of the enclosure. I believe you mentioned that you're using the Probox tuned to 45 hz in a previous thread, if this is the box you're using then you can tune lower and get better SQ and a smaller net box volume. http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Anonymous

I got a questions about Ported boxes. I like the sound of Sealed,but SOME People say you can get a ported box to sound just as good as a sealed,but louder. Is this true,or do you have to have a Sealed Box for SQ? Because Im all about sound quality,but If I could get more SPL,by just porting a box correctly,without loosing SQ,that'd be great. Also,Is it hard? Thanks for any information.

Anonymous

You can port the box to 28hz, that would give you nice SQ, but not as good as sealed. It would give you around a 3db rise in volume though, and if you have two subs a 3db rise would be the same as adding two more.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1142
Actually, each sub adds 3 db (theoretically) If you have two ported subs beside two sealed subs, the ported will be closer to 6db louder.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1143
Let me rephrase that. Each doubling of surface area adds 3 db. You were right about adding two more subs adding around 3 db.

Anonymous

So,Im better off just keeping sealed then? It seems the hassle to get a few more DB's in volume isan't worth it. Ported seems so complicated,and I like all SQ. I dont wanna give up ANY SQ, to get a little bit louder. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 62
kind of funny, you missed that they said porting your box would make it seem like you had 2x the speakers :-P

Anonymous

I really don't think it is worth it, which is why I always use sealed boxes. You can make any trash speakers loud, but they don't sound good. 3db is noticeable but it isn't that much louder. Though when you port it to a low frequency you still get some nice SQ, but it will be better sealed.

Anonymous

Right,but like I said,I dont wanna give up ANY sq,to be louder.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1152
Some ported boxes can add up to 6 db at certain points, it's all in how you tune it. You can build ported boxes with fantastic sound quality. the misconception of ported boxes sounding inferior to sealed is usually based on an opinion of a cheap ported box some kid got from a Best Buy, etc. Premade boxes usually don't allow a proper tuning frequency, most are made to impress you in stores. Ported boxes have less distortion at and above the tuned frequency, sealed actually has the highest believe it or not(yes, even over bandpass boxes, at least a bandpass in it's given range). This distortion is most noticeable at high volumes. The drawbacks of ported boxes are that transient response is degraded, but this is below a noticeable point if the box is right, and also a sub in a ported box gradually "unloads" below the tuning of the box (doesn't see the box anymore, increasing excursion, possibly to a damaging amount if you have too much power, and cutting down your really deep bass, such as subsonic levels) 3 db can makes big difference. If you tune the ported box low, like 26-28 hz, you can get excellent SQ and more SPL out of the sub. This also depends on the subwoofer, most subs are designed to run well in either sealed or ported, but remember that the optimum box always boils down to the sub you're using and your personal taste. I'd try to find a friend who has a ported box tuned low, or go to a high end audio shop and listen to subs in vented boxes, JL Audio W7's ported are tuned to 32 hz if they follow manufacturer recommendations. If you like this box, you'll definately like a 26-28 hz tune.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us