Testing Amp with Multimeter

Vincenzio
Unregistered guest
I have a multi meter and I was wondering what current I test for coming out of my amp? AC DC Amps Volts Ohms
I have no idea
Thanks for any help

Bronze Member
Username: Fryguy

Barrington Passage, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 50
depends on what you are trying to measure. want to find the power output? total power the amp uses? or if all channels are working? channel polarity?

Vincenzio
Unregistered guest
Thanks for responding,
I am trying to test each channel individually to make sure they are all putting out the same power
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
This is the only true way to test. Remember that power equals volts by amps. so you will need a non-inductive test load (like a high wattage power resistor) and a true RMS digital VOM. A true RMS amp meter. A constant test signal will be required like a 1khz tone at 0db on a cd. (If you dont have a audio test cd i have a ISO i can link you to if needed). Then all you need to do is hook up the resistor to the amp output like a normal speaker but with the amp meter in seres with it. then play the tone and turn the amp up, read the voltage across the load resistor and keep turning it up untill the voltage reaches the max. read the max voltage and the current write it down. turn off equipment. multiply voltage by current to get the power output rating.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Audio is a AC (but the frequancy changes) so you need a AC amp meter and volt meter. True RMS gear is recommended to get a real reading of true power. note: some true RMS meters are only calabrated to read true RMS at 60hz! You'll get a fairly close reading though.

Vincenzio
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the imput I'll tr that out
I have a fairly sophisticated Digi Multimeter
It has more functions than I know how to use
Thanks again
Vincenzio

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
you think you have a bad amp or just measuring the power to your speakers?

Vincenzio
Unregistered guest
bad amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us