Really dumb question

Bronze Member
Username: Pdivvy5

CT United States

Post Number: 48
What exactly is gain? I tried looking it up but i was unsuccessful.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 507
This is a good site to give you all kinds of info. Read it.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1124
Input sensitivity. It matches the amplifier's power output to the signal coming from the head unit.

Bronze Member

CT United States

Post Number: 50
Sorry, but how would i adjust it? I read about people adjusting it to make their subs sound better. I was just wondering exactly what it is.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1128
Adjusting it has nothing to do with how the sub sounds. It isn't a volume knob. You set it to match the signal output of the head unit, that way when the volume of the head unit is 50%, the amplifiers output will also be at 50%.

Anonymous

Damn, no wonder......that explains a lot. On this little 150Wx1 4ohm amp I got....seems like I have to put it all the way up on my 300wRMS Polk sub.

Maybe I need a bigger amp?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1129
Yep. you need a larger amp for that subwoofer. Turning up the gain will do nothing to increase power, it will cause the voltage rails to sag, increasing distortion and leading to clipping very early. The reason it seems louder with the gain up is because you're reaching the amp's max. output quicker, and probably leading the amp into clipping, a clipped signal tries to produce true DC/DC power, and a clipped signal can sometimes be almost double the power from an amp, and create a square wave. Plus distortion is perceived as sounding louder because it's unpleasant to the ears. This isn't a good thing, it is very damaging. The cooling of the voice coil depends on motion from the sub, since the wave is square, the sub is forced to excursion for a longer period of time, since the sub isn't moving, the voice coil just stays there and collects heat.

Bronze Member

CT United States

Post Number: 51
Ohhhh thanks i get it all now. i appreciate it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us