Kenwwod - good, bad or ugly?

BillyBob
Unregistered guest
Thinking of ordering a Kenwood KAC-7201 amp.

Anyone have any experience with Kenwood amps? I have had my Kenwood KDC-S3009 head unit for about 5 years without a problem. I love it, too bad it was discontinued.

The problem came from the (SURPRISE!) my Sony XM-1002HX amp. It worked great the first year I had it then the truck sat for 3 years and then tried using the amp and all it did was blow fuses.

I figure since the Kenwood has 2 30amp fuses and a cooling fan it should last a while.

Any feedback from Kenwood users would be greatly appreciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 29
What are you powering with the AMP?

BillyBob
Unregistered guest
Well, I need new speakers. Thinking of a bandpass box and either 1 or 2 JL subs. Had my previous box with Pyle drivers stolen when it was parked (guess they knew not to touch the Sony :-(.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1119
I've never seen too many good Kenwood amps. They do the rated specs usually, but are very unreliable, heat issues and overall amp trouble.

BillyBob
Unregistered guest
ARRRRG!
Back to the drawing board. (the $200 limit drawing board)

Thanks for the warning!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1122
Look at JBL amps, cheap amps and are very good for the money. Very reliable as well, and do their rated specs. Cadence makes nice cheaper amps too.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 506
How much power do you need.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 192
also ive found MTX is a decent price for class D amps.

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 36
You can get a Kicker KX400.1 in the $200 range. I think they are $219 shipping included at www.discountave.net

MTX 421D for $209 @ www.acaraudio.com

Just suggestions in your pricerange

FNG

BillyBob
Unregistered guest
I was hoping for at least 150W X 2 ch. with the adjustability of the Kenwood.

Bronze Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 47
the JBL BP600.1 can be found for around 200$ new online which pushes 600watts @ 2ohm and 300watts @ 4ohm. great amp, havent heard one bad thing about it. probably can find it on ebay for 150$

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 52
Ryan C...Anyone. Got any sites where this amp can be found for $200. Haven't had any luck on ebay. Cheapest I found is like 238 plus rediculous shipping.

Thanks
FNG

BillBob
Unregistered guest
I think I made a decision. Going with a Kicker model KX600.4.
It's a 4 ch amp but can still run the 2 subs. Rated at 300W x2 at 4ohms (or 150wx4). Only $260 with free shipping.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11944

Then going with either 12" Cerwin Vegas or 12" Lanzars for a sealed box. Just not sure if I need 1 or 2 voice coils for low pass - - -assuming single voice coil but 2 would be fine as well?

Anonymous

SVC 4ohm subs, and go with the Vega VMAX.

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 49
FNG, i found the JBL BP600.1 for 195$ WITH shipping, plus 14.95 if you live in california, but its on back order @ http://www.electronic4me.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=447 i think im going to buy from a different site because i dont want to wait til its in stock, and that site lacks communication. maybe its because i attempted to get ahold of them on a weekend. who knows. the other site i found the amp on was http://www.audiodiscounters.com/product_id/267.html for 239$ and thats with free ground shipping. thats going to be my choice i believe. site looks legit, great customer service. looks like a winner

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 63
Thanks Ryan!

FNG

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 50
no problem. Anon, you recommended 2 12" SVC VMAXs for this guys system, why is that? I ordered 2 of the DVC model to run on a JBL BP600.1, wont this give me a one ohm load pumping out 300W per sub? maybe im confused, but thats what i believe everyones been telling me. what load would the SVC subs put out?

Anonymous

Ryan,

I was under the impression that only the 1200.1 was stable to 1 ohm, but I may be wrong now that I think about it the 600.1 probably is also Anyone know know for sure?

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 69
Just read a post by Cory on another thread.

The 600.1 is 1 ohm stable

FNG
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us