How much to install?

Bronze Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 36
hey everyone, i just ordered my first system for my truck and i was wondering if you think i should install myself or have it professionaly done.

2 12" vmaxs
JBL BP600.1 amp

how hard is it to hook this up in my truck? if i did a little research and reading would i be able to figure it out? or is my best bet to have it pro. installed and just watch so i know how to do it next time? also if i do decide to have it done professionaly, how much time/money do you think it would take/cost? thanks

Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Well when having a system installed, if you've never done it before, you will want someone that knows what they are doing to help, because when you are running that many watts to somthing. It is easy to fry a head unit or amp, maybe even your self... but the cost to install is really high for what is being done if you take it to a car audio place. Once when i was in your situation, i asked circuit city how much it would be to install my subs if they were already mounted an everything. They told me it would be 70+ which is a waste. It's not that difficult if you know what you are doing. I had a friend that had put his own system in help me. because he also explained it, and it helped me learn how to install it. If you take it to a pro, you still won't have any idea how to install it, and if something goes wrong with it, you'll have to take it right back to them and pay more $$ to have it fixed.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1111
Not hard at all, really. To install an amplifier, you must drill a hole in the firewall (or find an existing grommet you can pull the wire through) and use a grommet as to not fray the power wire. Run the power wire to the amplifier, wherever you plan to mount it. Find a solid point to mount the ground, seat belt mounting points and other larger bolt locations work well, sand it down and attach the ground cable. Run the RCA's and remote wire to the amplifier from the head unit, make sure they run on the OPPOSITE side from where the power wire runs. This will avoid noise issues. If the RCAs have to cross the amp at any point, make sure they run perpandicular to each other so no inductance occurs. The most difficult part of an installation is usually finding mounting locations for the amp and subs, and actually taking the car apart to make wire runs, and routing to the head unit. Not really hard, just time consuming. When connecting the amp, connect the ground first, then the power wire. Make sure you DON'T have the fuse in there yet, this will assure you that you won't get shocked. Then, tighten the power wire to the battery if you haven't done soand connect the fuse. I suggest you test everything before permanently mounting it all, you may have to choose a better ground point, something may not work, etc. Do you plan to make your own sub box?

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 37
actually i found a custom box for my chevy reg. cab on the net for 100$ so i ordered that. i was going to ask what is the best way to lock it in place behind my seat? if someone broke into my car, i dont want them to be able to grab my subs in their box without a ton of time and work so what do you suggest? i purchased an amp wiring kit as well, but is that all the wiring ill need for the entire system? none of my friends really have a system so im not sure who i could ask for help from besides a professional. ill look around though because i do want to learn how to install myself, and if the professionals wont show me how its a waste of money.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1120
It depends on what wiring kit you got, if it comes with power, ground, remote wire and RCA's that's all you need (except speaker wire). As far as the box, an L bracket works well if you're willing to drill a hole in the floorboard, and be VERY careful you're not drilling into the gas tank or other obstructions.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 510
If your going to do it yourself get all your wiring from www.knukonceptz.com. Cheapest around and best and quickest service.

Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 8
Well, there is a myth that you always have to run the rca's oppisit the hot wire. This is not always totally true. If you have a very good pair of RCA cables... then it doesn't matter where you run them.

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 40
thanks for all the help guys. i ordered the Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit from
www.knukonceptz.com as david suggested. great price man, thanks alot. jonathan, how would i be able to tell exactly where im drilling the holes at if i cant see underneath my car? would i just do measurements underneath then bring them inside to the floorboard? i found a friend who knows how to install systems so hes going to give me a hand with mine. thanks for everything so far guys, if it wasnt for all of you i think by now i would of bought some audiobahn subs with a pyle amp or somthing haha

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1131
It's not a myth, it's a fact. Running RCA's parallel to power wire will pick up inductance, and even through the best RCAs they can pick up noise, even if it's just a little. Alternators still leak past a little AC current even though they are rectified, and this will be picked up by RCAs if they are too close to the power wire. The only way to truly fully avoid this is with extremely high line voltage and balanced outputs, which hardly any systems have. Ryan, yes you can either do measurements, or use something like a center punch to put a small dent in the firewall so you'll know where you're drilling.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us