Someboby please explain corssovers, subsonic filters, and tuning ported boxes, please.

Bronze Member
Username: Invain

Post Number: 38
First, what EXACTLY do crossovers do, I know the new mtx amp I bought has built in crossover, but what for? Second, I know what subsonic filtering does, but is it REALLY necessary? And third, what exactly does tuning a box to a certain hz do? Does that determine the lowest frequency that the sub will play, or something different?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
please

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 501
Ok im gonna try to help ya out a little.

Crossovers-basically what they do is crossover at a certain frequecny to cut out unwanted sounds trying to come through the speakers.

SS Filter-Only necessary if used with a ported box.

Tuning-Tuning the box at a certain frequency has to do with the spekaer itself. Each speaker needs to be tuned at a certain frequency to perform its best. If you tune it too high it wont sound as good you tune to low the sub could bottom out and not play as well. The tuning frequency is usually what tune will play the best. Such as a box tuned at lets ay 45 hz anything above 45 hz or 45 hz will be loud and strong. The lower you start going the more it will not be as loud.

Thats just a basic idea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Thanks, by the way, since I am putting my 12 in a slot ported box, should I get a ss filter, or not? I know it is a good idea, but is it absolutely necessary?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us