JL sub or what??

Unregistered guest
I was thinking about getting a JL audio 13w7 and a jl 1000.1 amp to push it....would this be good or could i get something better (louder) for the same money??? any help would b great.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 489
I was reading on their website and it says that amp is a good match for that sub.

Couple of others.

JBL 1200.1
Hifonics bx1500

Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1
I mean is that a good sub and amp combo....or is there better subs for like the same price or cheaper that would b louder.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 55
for that setup you should pay about 1200, for the money you might find sonemting that might play as hard but the qaulity and reliability is top notch.

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 43
I have heard that the resonant engineering X X X is a better sub. But if you want something that has more SPL (louder) than I think the RE MT is what you should go with. www.reaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 105
Personally i'm not a big fan of JL audio, for some reason i just cant get myself to jump onto the JL bandwagon, i know they make good products, but i just cant bring myself to like them

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1089
I'm not a huge fan of JL subs myself, but it's more for reasons of sound quality, they're not as tight as others I like, they can be kind of muddy at times. They just don't do it for me, quality is there, though. Other alternatives are Adire Audio Brahmas, Resonant Engineering X.X.X., Image Dynamics ID Max, and Eclipse Titaniums.

Post Number: 2
Would those subs u listed b as loud as the JL or no?? and what kind of amp would i use to push those???

Post Number: 3
Also what would b some prices for those you listed??

Robert J
Unregistered guest
well the adire brahmas are about $390. and i think the eclipse are somewhere in the rang of 600-700. but the sub to show off to your friends would be the RE X.X.X, because the excursions of that sub are insane i think they get up to 45mm. but a sub that just looks cool and has amazing SQ would be the eciplse. Correct me if i'm wrong on anything Jonathan

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1105
All of them have outstanding sound quality. Adam, the X.X.X is louder than any equivalent size W7. Since none of these other manufacturers have a 13" sub, you really can't compare them to a 13W7, but they(except ID Max) have a 15" offering that would walk over a 13W7, RE has an 18" as well(rip you apart loud). As far as amps, it depends on what type of box you use. The Brahmas and X.X.X. power ratings are thermal, but they don't need near 1600W RMS to reach full excursion. In common boxes, this can be accomplished with 600-1000 watts. That JL 1000/1 would push any of those subs well, except the Eclipse, which is rated at 750W RMS.
Brahma is 379 shipped, RE X.X.X. is $420, ID Max is in the 400s (can't remember exact price), Eclipse Titanium is $400 on www.woofersetc.com. All these are prices for 12s, 15's will be more expensive.

Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Basicly, if the retail value is high, you can usualy expect a good sub no matter what company you are gettin if from. If you are comparing a $700 sub to a $300 sub.. the $700 is ofcoarse going to be better. And trying to compare different brands of subwoofers is hard, because comparing a 13w7 to a RE 18" is like apples to oranges. Ususally, it's eaiser to stick with one company and compare their subs. JL does have good quality and is a trusted brand. But if you want to compare to other subs in a similar price range, you also have to keep an eye on what amp you are going to need to run them. the Pioneer Premium 5,000 is an exelent sub, and holds the world SPL title, but also costs way more, and needs a huge amp to run it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1109
Not really. A Legacy amp retails over $300 bucks, but you couldn't pay me to use one in my cars, price doesn't always show value. The Brahma and X.X.X. are made by smaller companies that aren't commercial, hence the lower price, you buy directly from them (with the exception of Eclipse and ID), instead of going to Tweeter and other shops that jack the price up, the wholesale of a W7 and a Brahma are about the same, and the material quality of both is top notch, so why overpay? The build quality of Brahmas, X.X.X., and Eclipse subs are actually better in most cases than the JL subs, they have more attention to detail because they're not as mass produced. I've seen more failed JL Audio subs than I ever have Eclipse. You can't always go by the retail price, trust me, I used to coown an Audio shop that carried JL Audio, Eclipse, Kicker, and many other brands. I could have had W7's in all of my vehicles if I wanted to, but I'd take a Brahma or X.X.X. over one any day of the week, I'm not biased, if the W7 was better I'd be quick to admit it, but these other subs are all just as good and easier on your wallet. I feel that W7's are way overpriced for what they offer, people rise them up to being the end all be all sub of car audio. They're great subs, but that doesn't make other companies obsolete. The Brahma has higher linearity and lower distortion than a W7, making it a better SQ sub (although this is subjective). The X.X.X. uses the same motor, although tweeked a bit for more SPL and optimized more for ported boxes and the like. My point above was that a X.X.X. 10" will outdo a 10W7 in SPL, same goes for the 12", but since RE doesn't make a 13" sub, so you can't compare. I was just saying if he wants a larger sub than a 12", these companies offer 15" subs that would accomodate him, and the 15" subs will hit harder than a 13W7, naturally since they have more surface area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us